Republicans are screwed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:40:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republicans are screwed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans are screwed  (Read 2500 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« on: November 03, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »

However, the most underreported story of the night are the huge Republican gains at the state level, a whole swathe of state legislative houses have flipped to the Republican Party. That will come in handy later on when the districts are redrawn. Pennsylvania is a case in point.

Yes and no. It's true, and it does help the Republicans. But they were in such good shape in 2002 that, at best, it can only preserve the advantage they held in drawing maps then instead of creating a new one. That will come in handy in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Michigan, not to mention southern states, but ultimately they have a very favorable national map to begin with so they need to continue to win elections on their own merit.

A lot of Republican seats they won yesterday are simply going to take the place of Democratic seats that would have been drawn away in redistricting. Ohio Rs are going to have to sacrifice one R for sure and will have a difficult time making that second set lost a D, although they can try. Tennessee and Indiana just banked the gains they would have made next time anyway. Pennsylvania is a good point, they can still draw PA-12 out of existence and cause a Democratic loss, and while they have a high-water mark in the east, they will be able to do what they can to try to preserve their holdings.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:29:15 AM »

Rubio edged aside Crist with the same sort of support that Angle used to win the nomination, right?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »

You're much more optimistic that I am. Last night was just the beginning.

I am optimistic, and I will be until I see polls coming out in mid-2011 showing Claire McCaskill and Mark Warner in the low 40s in reelection matches. I can't overlook the fact that what people clearly wanted was to stop Obama and the Dems from making more laws--they've certainly won that--but also that the Republicans are even less popular than the Dems, that Obama has political skills, and the electorate can't help but be more favorable next time. If this was 1994, I'm looking forward to 1996.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies