Santorum's Dem Challenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:04:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum's Dem Challenger
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Santorum's Dem Challenger  (Read 23488 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2004, 07:19:54 PM »

PoliticsPA.com, the most respected name in Pennsylvania politics, has released their short list for possible 2006 Democratic challengers to Rick Santorum.

Good news for Republicans: It's official. Pennsylvania's most popular Democrat, Bob Casey, Jr., will NOT be running for U.S. Senate in '06. Check out the rest of the list for other interesting candidates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 07:20:31 PM »

And here's the link...

http://politicspa.com/FEATURES/shortlist06sen.htm
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 07:22:22 PM »

hehe not much of a choice.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 07:26:32 PM »

There's actually a great choice out there. Her name: Barb Hafer.The Dems would be wise to nominate her.... that is if they want Santorum to reach 55%  Smiley
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 07:27:31 PM »

Chris "the screamer" matthews ugh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 07:32:08 PM »

He won't run and here's why: His brother is a big Montgomery county Republican official (a County Commissioner actually). That would create a divide that I'm sure Chris wants to avoid.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 07:33:46 PM »

Let's just hope it's not Teresa
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 07:45:28 PM »

The PA Dems will avoid that disaster (yet your disaster would be the best thing that happened for the PA GOP even better than Hafer...). Teresa won't run anyway.

In my opinion, the big names to watch (for a possible run) are:

Hafer, Hoeffel, Street (funny as it may be, PoliticsPA is right - Street has nothing to lose) and Schwartz (I don't care how many times she says she won't run for Senate. She obviously wants the job and wants to be the one who faces Santorum.) Crystle will run but he's an even bigger joke than the others.

Casey is out. Heinz - no chance. Holden - Nope. (He has a safe seat in a Republican district. He'll be there for awhile.) Kukovich - yeah right. TJ Rooney - No. Rodin - maybe. Singel - interesting candidate but unlikely to run. Williams - Won't run statewide just yet.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 07:46:45 PM »

Maybe casey will get his arm twisted a little.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 07:48:19 PM »

Maybe casey will get his arm twisted a little.

He wants to be Governor and being the most popular Dem in the state, what he says will be respected. He doesn't want to run, PA Dems are going to respect it. Plus, Rendell's big candidate will be Hafer and having the incumbent Dem Governor on your side during a Dem Senate primary helps a lot.
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 08:40:19 PM »

If Holden ran he would win! Too bad...but I still think our chances are better at taking down Santorum then Spector.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 08:50:31 PM »

If Holden ran he would win! Too bad...but I still think our chances are better at taking down Santorum then Spector.

You're chances of taking down Santorum are better than your chances against Specter but that doesn't necessarily mean something. Santorum is a popular guy in PA and in my opinion, the only candidate that could beat him is Casey. Holden....maybe but chances of him getting the nomination - zero.
danwxman

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 08:57:17 PM »

You're chances of taking down Santorum are better than your chances against Specter but that doesn't necessarily mean something. Santorum is a popular guy in PA and in my opinion, the only candidate that could beat him is Casey. Holden....maybe but chances of him getting the nomination - zero.

If Holden ran I think he would have pretty good chances of winning the nomination. Let's face it -- he would have the support of Central PA. If a Democrat can run statewide with the support of Central PA you can kiss whatever Republican he's running against goodbye.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 09:02:42 PM »

If Holden ran I think he would have pretty good chances of winning the nomination. Let's face it -- he would have the support of Central PA. If a Democrat can run statewide with the support of Central PA you can kiss whatever Republican he's running against goodbye.

How many Democrats are in central PA? They don't make up most of the voters in a Dem primary. Now in the General election, you would have a point. Holden would present a good challenge but like I said, he can't win the nomination. Even Casey would have a hard time winning the nomination going up against a Pro Choice candidate (mainly because of the Pro Choice groups pouring money in for their candidate). But someone like Casey is more likely to win the nomination (as opposed to Holden) and also more likely to win a General election.
danwxman

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 09:10:05 PM »

How many Democrats are in central PA? They don't make up most of the voters in a Dem primary. Now in the General election, you would have a point. Holden would present a good challenge but like I said, he can't win the nomination. Even Casey would have a hard time winning the nomination going up against a Pro Choice candidate (mainly because of the Pro Choice groups pouring money in for their candidate). But someone like Casey is more likely to win the nomination (as opposed to Holden) and also more likely to win a General election.

BTW, I think Casey is not just the most popular Democrat in PA, he is the most popular politician overall..followed by Spector and Rendell.

Holden would definetely face an uphill battle in the primaries, but if he could tough it out he would probably win against Santorum. And after the last Presidential election a LOT of money is going to be thrown at MODERATE Democrats like Holden. There is already quite a bit of money behind Holden.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 09:31:20 PM »

BTW, I think Casey is not just the most popular Democrat in PA, he is the most popular politician overall..followed by Spector and Rendell.

Holden would definetely face an uphill battle in the primaries, but if he could tough it out he would probably win against Santorum. And after the last Presidential election a LOT of money is going to be thrown at MODERATE Democrats like Holden. There is already quite a bit of money behind Holden.

If approval ratings for the following officials came out tomorrow, I'd say that it would go as follows (first official receiving the highest approval rating, last official receiving the lowest approval rating)

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

I'm telling you...Rendell's popularity is slipping, especially after the whole absentee voter thing here. I bet the next approval rating results will show that.

As for Holden, he might have some money but it's nothing compared to what candidates like Hafer will receive from groups like EMILY's list.

danwxman

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 09:33:23 PM »

If approval ratings for the following officials came out tomorrow, I'd say that it would go as follows (first official receiving the highest approval rating, last official receiving the lowest approval rating)

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

Ehhh I dunno. Santorum has kept his mouth shut lately which is probably good for him while Spector has been flapping his gums....although I respect what comes out of his mouth.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 09:43:40 PM »

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

Ehhh I dunno. Santorum has kept his mouth shut lately which is probably good for him while Spector has been flapping his gums....although I respect what comes out of his mouth.

So you respect Zell Miller, or are you a hypocrite?
danwxman

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

I respected him until he turned into a demagogue.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2004, 10:08:50 PM »

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

demˇaˇgogue also demˇaˇgog    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (dm-gôg, -gg)
n.
A leader who obtains power by means of impassioned appeals to the emotions and prejudices of the populace.
A leader of the common people in ancient times.

Well Zell Miller has never obtained power "by means of impassioned appeals" and to my knowledge never was a "leader of the common people in ancient times."

He's still a demagogue though, and a traitor right.  Like Jim Jeffords.
No.  Jeffords was "standing up for his beliefs." right
danwxman

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2004, 10:37:16 PM »

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

He's still a demagogue though, and a traitor right.  Like Jim Jeffords.
No.  Jeffords was "standing up for his beliefs." right

Correct. Jim Jeffords never turned into a raging insane ass hole.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2004, 11:20:42 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2004, 11:37:11 PM by supersoulty »

The PA Republican Party is in danger of becoming impotent, but I think that Santorum will defeat almost any challenger that the Dems bring up, unless 2006 is a really bad year for the GOP.

P.S. For those of you Democrats who think that Santorum is dead meat.  You would do well to remember that he currently has the highest approval rating, in his state, of any U.S. Senator.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 04:20:33 AM »

The PA Republican Party is in danger of becoming impotent, but I think that Santorum will defeat almost any challenger that the Dems bring up, unless 2006 is a really bad year for the GOP.

P.S. For those of you Democrats who think that Santorum is dead meat.  You would do well to remember that he currently has the highest approval rating, in his state, of any U.S. Senator.

His approval rating is no higher than Rendell's.  2006 may be a washout for the GOP and Santorum and Coleman (MN) will be prime targets for the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee.  Neither party should get cocky.  I hate Santorum with a passion, but I know how big PA is and how different it is.  However, the Southeast portion generally agrees with me and will turn out almost the same numebrs they did for Kerry in 2006.  If that's the case, Santorum may have trouble.  Remember, Bush is far less brash.       
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 10:51:11 AM »

His approval rating is no higher than Rendell's.  2006 may be a washout for the GOP and Santorum and Coleman (MN) will be prime targets for the Democratic Senate Campaign Committee.  Neither party should get cocky.  I hate Santorum with a passion, but I know how big PA is and how different it is.  However, the Southeast portion generally agrees with me and will turn out almost the same numebrs they did for Kerry in 2006.  If that's the case, Santorum may have trouble.  Remember, Bush is far less brash.       

A lot of people like Santorum because he is brash.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 03:10:38 PM »

According to the last ratings, you're right. Santorum and Rendell are tied when it comes to approval ratings. However, you left out that 1) Rendell has higher disapproval ratings and 2) Rendell's approval ratings will likely go down due to the recent absentee ballot situation.

The Dems will likely target this seat but with a nominee like Hafer, their chances of picking up this seat are very, very slim. SE PA can have a strong turnout but the west will turn out in good numbers, too. Remember that it took strong turnout in SE PA and the west for Kerry to barely win the state. In this case, Santorum will carry his base out west and we'll be saying "Six More Years."
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies