Santorum's Dem Challenger (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Santorum's Dem Challenger (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum's Dem Challenger  (Read 23661 times)
danwxman

« on: November 15, 2004, 08:40:19 PM »

If Holden ran he would win! Too bad...but I still think our chances are better at taking down Santorum then Spector.
danwxman

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 08:57:17 PM »

If Holden ran he would win! Too bad...but I still think our chances are better at taking down Santorum then Spector.

You're chances of taking down Santorum are better than your chances against Specter but that doesn't necessarily mean something. Santorum is a popular guy in PA and in my opinion, the only candidate that could beat him is Casey. Holden....maybe but chances of him getting the nomination - zero.

If Holden ran I think he would have pretty good chances of winning the nomination. Let's face it -- he would have the support of Central PA. If a Democrat can run statewide with the support of Central PA you can kiss whatever Republican he's running against goodbye.
danwxman

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 09:10:05 PM »

You're chances of taking down Santorum are better than your chances against Specter but that doesn't necessarily mean something. Santorum is a popular guy in PA and in my opinion, the only candidate that could beat him is Casey. Holden....maybe but chances of him getting the nomination - zero.

If Holden ran I think he would have pretty good chances of winning the nomination. Let's face it -- he would have the support of Central PA. If a Democrat can run statewide with the support of Central PA you can kiss whatever Republican he's running against goodbye.

How many Democrats are in central PA? They don't make up most of the voters in a Dem primary. Now in the General election, you would have a point. Holden would present a good challenge but like I said, he can't win the nomination. Even Casey would have a hard time winning the nomination going up against a Pro Choice candidate (mainly because of the Pro Choice groups pouring money in for their candidate). But someone like Casey is more likely to win the nomination (as opposed to Holden) and also more likely to win a General election.

BTW, I think Casey is not just the most popular Democrat in PA, he is the most popular politician overall..followed by Spector and Rendell.

Holden would definetely face an uphill battle in the primaries, but if he could tough it out he would probably win against Santorum. And after the last Presidential election a LOT of money is going to be thrown at MODERATE Democrats like Holden. There is already quite a bit of money behind Holden.
danwxman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 09:33:23 PM »

How many Democrats are in central PA? They don't make up most of the voters in a Dem primary. Now in the General election, you would have a point. Holden would present a good challenge but like I said, he can't win the nomination. Even Casey would have a hard time winning the nomination going up against a Pro Choice candidate (mainly because of the Pro Choice groups pouring money in for their candidate). But someone like Casey is more likely to win the nomination (as opposed to Holden) and also more likely to win a General election.

BTW, I think Casey is not just the most popular Democrat in PA, he is the most popular politician overall..followed by Spector and Rendell.

Holden would definetely face an uphill battle in the primaries, but if he could tough it out he would probably win against Santorum. And after the last Presidential election a LOT of money is going to be thrown at MODERATE Democrats like Holden. There is already quite a bit of money behind Holden.

If approval ratings for the following officials came out tomorrow, I'd say that it would go as follows (first official receiving the highest approval rating, last official receiving the lowest approval rating)

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

Ehhh I dunno. Santorum has kept his mouth shut lately which is probably good for him while Spector has been flapping his gums....although I respect what comes out of his mouth.
danwxman

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 09:46:06 PM »

If approval ratings for the following officials came out tomorrow, I'd say that it would go as follows (first official receiving the highest approval rating, last official receiving the lowest approval rating)

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

Ehhh I dunno. Santorum has kept his mouth shut lately which is probably good for him while Spector has been flapping his gums....although I respect what comes out of his mouth.

So you respect Zell Miller, or are you a hypocrite?

I respected him until he turned into a demagogue.
danwxman

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 10:37:16 PM »

Casey
Santorum
Specter/Rendell 

So you respect Zell Miller, or are you a hypocrite?

I respected him until he turned into a demagogue.

He's still a demagogue though, and a traitor right.  Like Jim Jeffords.
No.  Jeffords was "standing up for his beliefs." right

Correct. Jim Jeffords never turned into a raging insane ass hole.
danwxman

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 06:08:39 PM »

How would an environmental secretary hurt her in Central PA and Pittsburgh...the environment is one of the biggest issues in the state. It would actually help her, of course among Democrats and probably among Republicans too.
danwxman

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 10:58:33 PM »

How would an environmental secretary hurt her in Central PA and Pittsburgh...the environment is one of the biggest issues in the state. It would actually help her, of course among Democrats and probably among Republicans too.

Since when was the environment one of the biggest issues here?

Where the hell are you from? The environment has always been one of the biggest issues in PA.
danwxman

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 02:53:28 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2004, 03:02:00 PM by danwxman »

Actually Phil, the environment has been brought up...take a look at this snippet from the Patriot-News today:

"CLEAN ENERGY

The proposal: Requires utilities to move toward generating at least 18 percent of electricity from alternative energy sources. Some clean energy advocates opposed the addition of waste-coal re-use technologies included in the bill.

Status: Passed the House and the Senate. Rendell was expected to sign it into law."

And as you can see it has passed easily.

Anyway, a lot of the sportsmen in Central PA are actually very pro-environment....my old bio teacher in high school was a staunch Republican but a member of the Sierra Club and very liberal on environmental issues. The Sierra Club has some very active chapters across much of Central PA, which is of course very Republican. Pennsylvania also has some of the highest membership in the country for the Sierra Club and other environmental groups.

BTW, check this out all you PA people -- great roundup of what has been going on in the Statehouse lately: http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1101032521156290.xml
danwxman

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 04:48:24 PM »

Actually Phil, the environment has been brought up...take a look at this snippet from the Patriot-News today:

"CLEAN ENERGY

The proposal: Requires utilities to move toward generating at least 18 percent of electricity from alternative energy sources. Some clean energy advocates opposed the addition of waste-coal re-use technologies included in the bill.

Status: Passed the House and the Senate. Rendell was expected to sign it into law."

Anyway, a lot of the sportsmen in Central PA are actually very pro-environment....my old bio teacher in high school was a staunch Republican but a member of the Sierra Club and very liberal on environmental issues. The Sierra Club has some very active chapters across much of Central PA, which is of course very Republican. Pennsylvania also has some of the highest membership in the country for the Sierra Club and other environmental groups.

BTW, check this out all you PA people -- great roundup of what has been going on in the Statehouse lately: http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1101032521156290.xml

Please tell me the last time you heard the environment brought up as a big topic in a Gubernatorial or Senate race in this state. You keep telling me it's a top issue here.

Well, in the last gubernatorial race both candidates were pro-environment. I'm not going to argue this anymore...the environment has always been a big issue in PA. Just ask Terry Madonna.
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »

"CLEAN ENERGY

Please tell me the last time you heard the environment brought up as a big topic in a Gubernatorial or Senate race in this state. You keep telling me it's a top issue here.

Well, in the last gubernatorial race both candidates were pro-environment. I'm not going to argue this anymore...the environment has always been a big issue in PA. Just ask Terry Madonna.

Pro Environment. I love that title. Anyway, I asked when the last time you heard the environment discussed as a big issue in Gubernatorial/Senate race. I know you're avoiding the point. As for Terry Modonna, I watched a few of his lectures on PCN after this election. Times I heard him bring up the enviroment issue: 0.

Now I understand that in certain areas of the state, the enviroment is a big issue. However, I honestly don't believe it's made out to be as big of an issue as you'd like me to believe.

I don't think I'm making it out to be a bigger issue then it really is...The reason there is not much discussion on it is because the crappy economy and gambling have been taking the forfront in PA politics recently. It was a bigger issue during the 90's, but PA is still very big on the environment and much more then other states.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies