New Zealand 2011
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:17:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand 2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: New Zealand 2011  (Read 61462 times)
redcommander
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2011, 04:25:04 AM »

After recount, National wins back Waitakere with a 9 vote majority. Christchurch Central is still a National win with a 47 vote majority.

This would be good news if they didn't lose a list seat. Sad
Nichlemn

« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a good thing for a party to win electorate seats (unless the party is under 5% or will get an overhang). One way in which is it is undisputedly bad is that a resigning Electorate MP necessitates a by-election which the party might lose, whereas a resigning List MP is guaranteed a replacement from the next in line. On the other hand, there might be intangible benefits to having an Electorate MP - perhaps they can produce "reverse coattail" effects by giving their party additional votes. Seems like a good project for a statistically minded person.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2011, 02:36:31 AM »

I'm not sure if it's a good thing for a party to win electorate seats (unless the party is under 5% or will get an overhang). One way in which is it is undisputedly bad is that a resigning Electorate MP necessitates a by-election which the party might lose, whereas a resigning List MP is guaranteed a replacement from the next in line. On the other hand, there might be intangible benefits to having an Electorate MP - perhaps they can produce "reverse coattail" effects by giving their party additional votes. Seems like a good project for a statistically minded person.

I'm a little unfamiliar with your electoral system. So you're saying that if a by-election results with the opposite party winning, one of the list MPs is lost from the opposite party and given to the previous MP's party so that no one can gain or lose seats on the basis of a by-election alone?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #303 on: December 17, 2011, 04:32:48 AM »

By-elections in an MPP system are ridiculous. (If NZ is like Scotland, then no. The party can lose a seat through a by-election.)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #304 on: December 17, 2011, 05:34:58 AM »

Parallel systems are far better IMO
Nichlemn

« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2011, 06:20:02 AM »

Split-voting and votes by polling booth now available. I did a bunch of PVI calculations by polling booth for a lot of electorates last time and hope to do so again. Unfortunately, especially in Christchurch a lot of polling booths have changed so it's kind of hard to compare results.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #306 on: January 05, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »

Am i reading this right... the Labour party membership didn't vote but only MPs did for the Labour leadership?
Strikes me as odd, from a canadian perspective, since as a NewDemocrat i have another couple months till i vote and every member gets to vote for only the leader (would be nice to choose the deputies). Or the Liberals who i believe will have a delegated convention to choose their leader but still it means hundreds of votes instead of 34 voters for the NZL?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/columnists/vernon-small/6117264/Labour-leadership-race-goes-to-the-wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Labour_Party_leadership_election,_2011
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #307 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

Am i reading this right... the Labour party membership didn't vote but only MPs did for the Labour leadership?
Strikes me as odd, from a canadian perspective, since as a NewDemocrat i have another couple months till i vote and every member gets to vote for only the leader (would be nice to choose the deputies). Or the Liberals who i believe will have a delegated convention to choose their leader but still it means hundreds of votes instead of 34 voters for the NZL?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/comment/columnists/vernon-small/6117264/Labour-leadership-race-goes-to-the-wire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Labour_Party_leadership_election,_2011

Australia does the same...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #308 on: January 05, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »

It was also how things were done in Britain until recently; the Labour leadership was entirely determined by the PLP until the early 1980s (this rule change was actually one of the main reasons for the bulk of the Manifesto Group leaving the Party to form the SDP), and Tory members had no say in the election of their leader until 2001... but then even Tory MPs didn't until 1965! The Liberals, hilariously, kept leadership elections to MPs only until the 1970s.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #309 on: January 05, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »

(this rule change was actually one of the main reasons for the bulk of the Manifesto Group leaving the Party to form the SDP)

That and the other reasons make me happy. Just a shame they couldn't stomach having a left-wing leader for once, and had to throw their toys out of their collective pram.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #310 on: January 05, 2012, 05:13:00 PM »

Wasn't Macmillan chosen by the Queen?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  
« previous next »
Jump to: