GOP house gains in 2012? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:00:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GOP house gains in 2012? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP house gains in 2012?  (Read 19048 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 07, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »

And Maine doesn't redistrict till after 2012. And making ME-02 more Republican is rather tricky anyway as ME-01 doesn't have any notable GOP strongholds in it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 02:49:59 AM »

It'd be more logical to shove Dem areas into Holden's district than try to eliminate him. The GOP would be spreading themselves far too thin if they couldn't get Scranton in a Dem seat for example. Might survive in 2012 but would eventually backfire.

As for Altmire, eliminating him means only one Dem in western PA, from Pittsburgh. The area just isn't built for that. Even if it worked then, it would eventually backfire.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 03:27:14 AM »

I predict TX will get a new Dem Hispanic seat and three new Republican seats. Not sure how the Ortiz or Rodriguez seats will end up too, the Rodriguez one could no doubt be held but the Ortiz one would be very difficult to do so without gerrymandering violating the VRA. Phips left off Arizona btw, which will likely get a new Hispanic majority seat as well (DOJ will likely mandate it, and redistricting is done by an independent commission so there will be no desire to gerrymander.) Florida is likely getting only one new seat and while Dems will probably pick up a seat or two under the new rules (The two most blatant examples of districts that can't survive them are FL-08 and FL-22, both of which will be replaced with new far more Democratic seats), the new seat will likely be around central Florida in those heavily GOP fast growing sprawly counties that still aren't suburban as there is nothing to be suburbs of (ugh, wonder why I hate that state?)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »

CO can't be required to make a Hispanic majority seat. It's not covered by that section of the VRA.

Making one would probably help the Democrats by pushing liberal Denver whites to CO-07.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies