US House Redistricting: Maryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:28:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Maryland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Maryland  (Read 66485 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:03 AM »

Hitchcock said the panel worked with “a delegation map that is currently convoluted in its configuration. Everyone wanted to do our best to correct that.”

Lol. Couldn't agree more to the first sentence, can't see any evidence of the latter.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2011, 11:31:43 AM »

Lol.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2011, 11:33:42 AM »

Perhaps they were inspired by the coastline
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2011, 12:06:09 PM »

Pussies. Republicans would've gone straight for the throat.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »

Right now, with Texas's map suspended, I'd say MD-3 is tied with Stivers's Ohio district as the worst in the country. Florida hasn't redistricted yet, though.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2011, 12:26:38 PM »

Right now, with Texas's map suspended, I'd say MD-3 is tied with Stivers's Ohio district as the worst in the country. Florida hasn't redistricted yet, though.

I'd say Stiver's district is still the worst
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »

Florida has that fair redistricting thing that they are suppose to adhere to at least. Who knows if they somehow manage to overturn it though...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2011, 06:52:21 PM »

I'd estimate that at 55-56% Obama... more than enough to flip it.

Not surprising, another disgusting Maryland gerrymander.

Absolutely no reason to rip up Carroll County.

I drew a much nicer looking 7-1 map. Believe it's in this thread. I think there is something wrong with Maryland Democrats when it comes to redistricting. They just can't help going crazy. And it's more like a 6-1-1 map anyways. Hilarious.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:46 PM »

I drew a much nicer looking 7-1 map. Believe it's in this thread. I think there is something wrong with Maryland Democrats when it comes to redistricting. They just can't help going crazy. And it's more like a 6-1-1 map anyways. Hilarious.

You agree that the Western MD CD that the Dems tried to "steal" which motivated me to lash out in Tennessee is only 55%-56% Obama?  If so that is ludicrous. That is very close to a toss-up CD for 2012, particularly if the number is 55%.  The Dem incumbents must have had a rather "selfish" little agenda, and want CD's where they can just dial it in. I of course as the Dem ring master would have told them to just go F themselves. Tongue  I think when I did this exercise way back when, or Johnny did it, a 59% Obama CD could have been somewhat "reasonably" drawn, but maybe my recollection fails me.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2011, 07:01:58 PM »

They're like Ohio Republicans. They don't need to draw a disgusting-looking map to achieve their goals, but they do it anyway because they can. It's just a little extra " F*** you" to the other side.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2011, 07:06:01 PM »

You agree that the Western MD CD that the Dems tried to "steal" which motivated me to lash out in Tennessee is only 55%-56% Obama?  If so that is ludicrous. That is very close to a toss-up CD for 2012, particularly if the number is 55%.  The Dem incumbents must have had a rather "selfish" little agenda, and want CD's where they can just dial it in. I of course as the Dem ring master would have told them to just go F themselves. Tongue  I think when I did this exercise way back when, or Johnny did it, a 59% Obama CD could have been somewhat "reasonably" drawn, but maybe my recollection fails me.

I have no clue about the partisan breakdown. I just took Timothy at his word. And yeah, either the Dems are selfish, or they are dumb as rocks and can't draw a decent map, or both. Probably both.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2011, 07:33:03 PM »

I drew it at about 56% Obama as well, 55% average Dem. Safe 9 years out of 10; just seems silly not to make it 10 out of 10.
timothyinMD

« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2011, 09:11:29 PM »

Damn I'm good.  I guessed earlier when I said it was 56% Obama and I was right.  It's about 56-42.   This is not a 6-1-1 map.  This is a 7-1 map.  50% of the districts population is Montgomery county and that portion voted 75% Obama.  They tailor made this seat for Rob Garagiola.

Speaker Busch has some serious audacity 
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:22 PM »

Considering how pathetic the GOP is at winning even McCain districts on the local level in Maryland, I don't see them taking a 56% Obama seat. Bartlett is an older than dirt dude no one cares about, he's not surviving in that. A panhandle Republican isn't going to get the numbers in Montco needed to take that. And Montco Republicans might as well be extinct.
timothyinMD

« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »

Considering how pathetic the GOP is at winning even McCain districts on the local level in Maryland, I don't see them taking a 56% Obama seat. Bartlett is an older than dirt dude no one cares about, he's not surviving in that. A panhandle Republican isn't going to get the numbers in Montco needed to take that. And Montco Republicans might as well be extinct.

Actually us Maryland Republican can compete just fine when the districts aren't grotesquely gerrymandered. 

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »

Presumably Bartlett will retire don't you think?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2011, 10:13:31 PM »

Actually us Maryland Republican can compete just fine when the districts aren't grotesquely gerrymandered. 

Mostly not gerrymandered (though the distribution of seats in separate districts or multi-member ones obviously benefits the Democrats and that one seat on the Eastern Shore) and plenty of "naturally" Republican districts held by Democrats or with a split delegation.

Probably.
timothyinMD

« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »

Mostly not gerrymandered (though the distribution of seats in separate districts or multi-member ones obviously benefits the Democrats and that one seat on the Eastern Shore) and plenty of "naturally" Republican districts held by Democrats or with a split delegation.

Probably.

Strip out Baltimore City, Montgomery, Prince George's and Charles counties.  They are heavily Democrat and not competitive whatsoever.  Aside from that we're competitive.  The Allegany, Washington, Cecil, Baltimore, St Mary's county Democrats have been in there forever.  They get in on their tenure and their name.   Dems got really lucky in 2010, they won a lot of close races.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »

Probably.

Strip out Baltimore City, Montgomery, Prince George's and Charles counties.  They are heavily Democrat and not competitive whatsoever.  Aside from that we're competitive.  The Allegany, Washington, Cecil, Baltimore, St Mary's county Democrats have been in there forever.  They get in on their tenure and their name.   Dems got really lucky in 2010, they won a lot of close races.

Those four counties/cities make up 45% of the population of MD. And a county like Howard county is pretty much Dem as well, and that makes a majority. Nicely sums up the Republicans problem in the state.
timothyinMD

« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2011, 12:10:44 AM »

Duh.  Hence why Md is a Democrat state.

And by the way, Howard County only became solid Democrat when it jumped up to being the 3rd richest county in America.  12-15 years ago it was middle of the road.  Now full of rich liberal government workers, just like Charles county
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2011, 12:37:53 AM »

And by the way, Howard County only became solid Democrat when it jumped up to being the 3rd richest county in America.  12-15 years ago it was middle of the road.  Now full of rich liberal government workers, just like Charles county

Government workers probably do have something to do with it, but I think there's a fair amount of white collar jobs around too. Can't say a metro area with 6 million odd people is all government workers. These are the professional class that moved left on social issues. Also see Montgomery County, PA.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2011, 12:43:26 AM »

Government workers probably do have something to do with it, but I think there's a fair amount of white collar jobs around too. Can't say a metro area with 6 million odd people is all government workers. These are the professional class that moved left on social issues. Also see Montgomery County, PA.

Not to totally depreciate your point, but a lot of those "non-government" workers, particularly white collar ones, work for outfits heavily dependent on government funding - and favors and good will.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »

I just saw the map plotted with incumbents' homes. If you think Massachusetts is bad for incumbents living within 128, this is worse.

http://twitpic.com/6utsqs
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »

Well O'Malley certainly outdid the 2001 maps in ugliness. Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »

If he knows what's good for him.

No real indication of that in his track record, though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies