Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 16, 2017, 07:33:43 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  what attracts so many hispanics to the chicago area?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: what attracts so many hispanics to the chicago area?  (Read 4623 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »
Ignore

It seems that compared to other parts of the midwest, Chicago has a lot more hispanics. Not only that but it seems that a good chunk of those hispanics are mexican. Most of the other cities east of the mississippi with large hispanic populations (New York, Bayonne, Passaic) are overwhelmingly from the caribbean.

-1.38, -1.38
nclib
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:35:38 pm »
Ignore

Chicago has far more cultural diversity than most non-coastal cities.

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:38 am »

Mexican labor was actively recruited by Chicago businesses in the early 1900's. This was particularly true for the railroads, meat packers, and steel industry. In some cases recruitment was tied to strike breaking. The neighborhoods that were established 100 years ago continued to be a magnet for continued immigration throughout the 20th century.

Great American Eclipse seconds before totality showing Baily's Beads.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 12:49:16 pm »
Ignore

The answer to the question is hiding inside the question: Chicago is what attracted/attracts so many hispanics to the Chicago area. It's a big city forchristssake.

minionofmidas - supplemental forum account
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 12:56:45 pm »
Ignore

The answer to the question is hiding inside the question: Chicago is what attracted/attracts so many hispanics to the Chicago area. It's a big city forchristssake.
There are not nearly as many Mexicans in New York City or Philadelphia. Chicago really stands out in terms of specifically Mexican population outside the southwest.

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »
Ignore

There are not nearly as many Mexicans in New York City or Philadelphia. Chicago really stands out in terms of specifically Mexican population outside the southwest.

The dominant Hispanic groups in NYC are Dominican and Puerto Rican, but we're large enough to have a decent-sized Mexican population too.

Quote from: Alice Goodman
To those who come prepared to see and hear only what they want to see and hear, nothing one can say is of any use.

Economic: -4.45
Social: -6.52
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »
Ignore

The dominant Hispanic groups in NYC are Dominican and Puerto Rican, but we're large enough to have a decent-sized Mexican population too.

Not only Mexicans but a very rapidly expanding population of Central Americans.  Long Island in particular has seen a rapid increase in El Salvadorians.  You take a town like Hempstead that was virtually all black 20 years ago and now is roughly evenly split with Hispanics likely overtaking.   Even within the city limits, Mexicans and other Central Americans (not even counting very large S. American communities) will soon outpace Puerto Ricans and Dominicans.
Benj
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:56:18 pm »
Ignore

And fast-growing, too. I actually suspect that NYC has a higher Mexican population than Chicago, though that's a recent phenomenon.
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:31 pm »

And fast-growing, too. I actually suspect that NYC has a higher Mexican population than Chicago, though that's a recent phenomenon.

According to the Pew Hispanic Center metro Chicago has almost 3 times as many Hispanics of Mexican origin than the NYC metro.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:00:07 pm by muon2 »Logged

Great American Eclipse seconds before totality showing Baily's Beads.
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 04:37:16 am »
Ignore

The only places in New York City with any kind of Mexican community whatsoever are (some or many of) the Hispanic portions of northern Queens.

If I'm shown as having been active here recently it's either because I've been using the gallery, because I've been using the search engine looking up something from way back, or because I've been reading the most excellent UK by-elections thread again.
Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:00 pm »
Ignore

No where in the midwest really has more Caribbean Hispanics than Mexicans, I'm pretty sure even Cleveland hispanics are mostly mexicans.
But for what its worth Chicago does have a large Puerto Rican population. I believe Luis Gutiérrez district is split between a Puerto Rican section and a Mexican section and he is puerto rican.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 01:47:45 pm by Nhoj »Logged

آزادی برای ایران

Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 06:15:45 am »
Ignore

No where in the midwest really has more Caribbean Hispanics than Mexicans, I'm pretty sure even Cleveland hispanics are mostly mexicans.
But for what its worth Chicago does have a large Puerto Rican population. I believe Luis Gutiérrez district is split between a Puerto Rican section and a Mexican section and he is puerto rican.
A historically Puertorican section that is today majority Mexican, but yes he's Puertorican.

memphis
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 10:32:57 pm »
Ignore

According to the Pew Hispanic Center metro Chicago has almost 3 times as many Hispanics of Mexican origin than the NYC metro.
Not that either one is particularly nearby, but Chicago is also several hundred miles closer to Mexico than New York is.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I don't want my women talking to people
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout