US House Redistricting: Tennessee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:42:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Tennessee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Tennessee  (Read 31023 times)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:30:40 PM »

I'm reading on Twitter that the 7-2 map might be preserved, but we will have to see what happens.

If that is the case, I wonder if they give Cooper a "Blue Dog" R+2 seat so they can pick it up when he retires.  Alternatively, if they are concerned about the growth of blue Nashville, they could vote-sink Cooper into a 60%+ Obama seat...
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »

I'm reading on Twitter that the 7-2 map might be preserved, but we will have to see what happens.

If that is the case, I wonder if they give Cooper a "Blue Dog" R+2 seat so they can pick it up when he retires.  Alternatively, if they are concerned about the growth of blue Nashville, they could vote-sink Cooper into a 60%+ Obama seat...

If you give him everything blue or 50/50 in Davidson and draw the district down to Murfreesboro, you get a 61% Obama seat.  If they don't give him an R+8, I'll bet this is what they do.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »

Washington is the maximum Republicans could theoretically get.

That is a statement of profound ignorance. For instance, Slade Gordon's proposal was five Republican, four Democratic, and one swing seat.

Okay, and the best Democrats could possibly do (think MD or IL) is 8 Democratic, one swing seat, and one Republican.  A fair map produced by negotiation between the two parties should fall roughly in the middle of the partisan extremes.  We ended up with 5D-4R-1S, which is an awful lot closer to 4D-5R-1S than 8D-1R-1S. Therefore, Republicans got a better deal here, just like Democrats got a better deal in AZ.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies