What is considered a 'Safe' popular vote win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:49:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process
  Polling (Moderator: muon2)
  What is considered a 'Safe' popular vote win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is considered a 'Safe' popular vote win?  (Read 16783 times)
dunn

« on: March 19, 2004, 03:34:21 PM »

I was thinking about some of these state polls and how the one to really keep an eye on are the national head-to-head polls.  In almost every election, the popular vote winner has also won the electoral college vote.  I would think that these national polls are a more important indicatior of who will win the election.

We saw in 2000 how Gore won the popular vote by .5% but lost the electoral college by the slimmest of margins.  Going by that, would it be safe to assume that any popular vote victory over .5% would guarantee an electoral victory?  Basically that means that if one candidate won by .5% or more, a majority of the electoral votes from the close states like NM,IA,FL,OH would end up voting for the winner.

I'm not a statistician, but I think the odds of a candidate winning the popular vote by let say 1.5%, yet losing the electoral college would be pretty slim.  Therefore I think I'm going to focus on the national polls, especially those by reputable organizations like Zogby.

in 1888 Clevlend won the PV by 0.8% but lost 168-233 on EV
in 1876 Tilden won the PV by 3.02%! but lost 184-185 on EV

dunn

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 10:11:36 AM »

That's Bill Schneider's take on it.  Greenfield says it's probably more like 2%.  So does Michael Beschloss.  Of course it's mathematically possible to win 70% of the PV and still lose.  But unlikely.

It's 83%. Smiley

Mathematickky you can win with 11 votes (1-0 in  the big 11 states ) and millions against you un all other states - 99.999%
dunn

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 05:49:10 PM »

That's Bill Schneider's take on it.  Greenfield says it's probably more like 2%.  So does Michael Beschloss.  Of course it's mathematically possible to win 70% of the PV and still lose.  But unlikely.

It's 83%. Smiley

Mathematickky you can win with 11 votes (1-0 in  the big 11 states ) and millions against you un all other states - 99.999%

Yes, but that's altering the number of voters. My example is based on turnout being the same which makes more sense.

just a theortical
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies