US House Redistricting: Minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:57:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Minnesota  (Read 43388 times)
muon2
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »

Man, the intra county shifts in Hennepin County were larger than I expected, Muon2. That is a big shift there, with MN-05 now not only taking in Brooklyn Center (which I expected the bulk of which would be absorbed), but also a slug of Brooklyn Park, making MN-03 quite comfortably Pubbie now. The map that will be drawn will look very close to the one that you drew; I would think the only issue being how MN-08, MN-07 and MN-01 move around really, to equalize population. There are two or three reasonable choices there. I picked one, and you picked another, I think.

To give you an idea of the difference consider that all my districts are within a couple hundred of the ideal based on a 2010 projection of the 2009 estimates by town/city. Here's what Dave's App has for the metro districts.

CD 2: -15.0 K
CD 3: -36.3 K
CD 4: +23.5 K
CD 5: +51.9 K
CD 6: -42.2 K

That deviation in CD 5 is about 8%! That's why it's best to have town estimates in any urban county split.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2011, 06:26:30 PM »

Man, the intra county shifts in Hennepin County were larger than I expected, Muon2. That is a big shift there, with MN-05 now not only taking in Brooklyn Center (which I expected the bulk of which would be absorbed), but also a slug of Brooklyn Park, making MN-03 quite comfortably Pubbie now. The map that will be drawn will look very close to the one that you drew; I would think the only issue being how MN-08, MN-07 and MN-01 move around really, to equalize population. There are two or three reasonable choices there. I picked one, and you picked another, I think.

To give you an idea of the difference consider that all my districts are within a couple hundred of the ideal based on a 2010 projection of the 2009 estimates by town/city. Here's what Dave's App has for the metro districts.

That deviation in CD 5 is about 8%! That's why it's best to have town estimates in any urban county split.

Interesting. By the way Muon2, do you think the court would really continue to live with the split in Bejumdi (sp)?  Would not they at least unify that county in MN-07? 

I also like the straight north south line myself (which means also MN-07 also taking Hubbard County), but that is just my sense of aesthetics I guess. And then that avoids a shift of those southwestern corner counties from MN-01 to MN-07. All thing being pretty equal means avoiding the musical chairs game, no? But then MN-08 needs some more territory (rural (and yes it is rural based on a population density metric) Benton County outside the St. Cloud elbow room zone!), and around and around we go.  Smiley
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2011, 06:43:29 PM »

I have rearranged the three.

The first is based on the 2009 ACS which reports population estimates directly for each congressional district,  The ACS replaces the census long form.  Instead of the long form going to about 1 in 6 households April every 10th year, it is conducted to a small sample each  month.  The 1:6 sampling for the long form was intended to provide statistically reliable data for small areas such as block groups and census tracts, which have populations of about 1000 and 5000 respectively.  Monthly ACS samples over a 5 year period may be aggregated to produce the equivalent data for small areas, albeit time-smeared.  But since the ACS is being conducted on a continuous basis, a new 5-year period can be produced annually.  Recently, the census bureau released its 1st 5-year ACS data for 2005-2009, which should be roughly equivalent to that generated from the long form, if it had been conducted in 2007 in the middle of the period.  If one wanted intracounty population distribution, I would start with this data.

The ACS also releases data for larger areas.  It recently released data for 2007-2009 which is statistically significant for areas with population greater than 20,000.  It also released one year data for areas of population greater than 60,000, including congressional districts.

So let's say that the one year sample is about 3%, which is split into 12 monthly samples, then in 2009 about 3% of the households in Coon Rapids were surveyed, with that population information included in the estimate for MN-3, while that for Blaine was included in MN-6.

The first set of data is directly from the 2009 ACS.  I took the Minnesota estimate, divided by 8 and calculated the deviations.  Since all districts had the same population in 2000, the deviation is also the same as the change in deviation since 2009.  One could get a little better estimate by projecting it forward for another 9 months. So at the time of the April 2000, MN-6 would be about 100,000 over.

The second set of numbers was just my recollection of the first set without actually going back to that data, and IMO accurately classifies the districts into 4 groups:

4, 5, and 7: slow growth relative to the Minnesota average.  Since Minnesota CD's had around 615,000 persons in 2000, these three districts actually are virtually unchanged in absolute terms from 2000.  Not losing population, but not gaining either.

1: moderately slow growth relative to the slate, tepid growth in absolute terms (this won't be constant across the district, which will show faster growth in Rochester and Mankato, and the metro fringe such as Rice, and perhaps losses in rural counties, particularly those not on I-90.

3 and 8: growing slightly slower than the state.  Perhaps 6% vs 7% for the state.

2 and 6: growing significantly faster than the state, and even a bit faster than the USA as whole.

Incidentally, Le Sueur had its largest population increase since the 1880s (sic).  I don't know whether this is a Mankato effect or the extreme edge of the metro area (Meeker and McLeod are also showing a small amount of growth, atypical for rural areas).

I don't know what Torie's numbers are.  The state population is a bit lower (35K) than from the ACS, but this is probably just a difference in estimate sources.  But the districts don't match current districts.

In this thread, I see three different breakdowns of the congressional district deviation from average.  So, which one of these can we go by?

Here are the 2009 ACS estimates, plus deviation from average (658,000 vs. 664,000 for census).  The growth in the average is 43/49 of the census to census difference, which suggests that we could simply multiply the deviations by 10/9 and get pretty good 2010 estimates.  But we can simply balance the shifts to see what a minimally modified map would look like.

1   635,331   -22,946
2   731,468    73,191
3   651,676    -6,601
4   614,059   -44,218
5   618,840   -39,437
6   749,383    91,106
7   614,738   -43,539
8   650,720    -7,557

Currently,

MN-2 and MN-6 are quite a bit over (75K)
MN-3 and MN-8 are quite close.
MN-1 is somewhat under (25K)
MN-7, 5, and 4 are under (45K)

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2011, 07:01:17 PM »

Interesting. By the way Muon2, do you think the court would really continue to live with the split in Bejumdi (sp)?  Would not they at least unify that county in MN-07? 

I also like the straight north south line myself (which means also MN-07 also taking Hubbard County), but that is just my sense of aesthetics I guess. And then that avoids a shift of those southwestern corner counties from MN-01 to MN-07. All thing being pretty equal means avoiding the musical chairs game, no? But then MN-08 needs some more territory (rural (and yes it is rural based on a population density metric) Benton County outside the St. Cloud elbow room zone!), and around and around we go.  Smiley

I reunited Bemidji in my map. I left the reservation in northern Beltrami county in CD 7 but put most all the pop of the southern part in CD 8. I thought that it was unlikely that a plan would be approved that split the reservation, so I couldn't justify moving all of Beltrami to CD 8. In exchange I moved Wadena to CD 7 to equalize population, moving Hubbard as well was too much.

Moving Hubbard or all of Beltrami to CD 7 would require a split of another county. Whether that would be Benton or another, I didn't see that split as being superior to a split of Beltrami. Since Beltrami was already split, I continued that in this map.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2011, 07:30:45 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2011, 07:33:23 PM by jimrtex »

Interesting. By the way Muon2, do you think the court would really continue to live with the split in Bejumdi (sp)?  Would not they at least unify that county in MN-07?  

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

(Red Lake misspelled in original) Note that while this is specifically for legislative redistricting that the two western reservations would be in the same senate district, it would presumably be the same interest for a congressional district.

Bemidji is the county seat of Beltrami county.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:24 PM »

For MN, I've used the 2009 census estimates at the level of minor civil divisions to get the metro area pop for 2010. This is much more accurate than the direct estimates from the App, which I used only to draw the maps. Using that data, I've tried to minimize changes to existing districts while respecting counties and municipalities to the extent possible.

Well Bemidji is now in MN-08, which I doubt would bother too many. Some of the metro splits are weird though, I would say MN-04 is far more likely to expand to the Cottage Grove area via Inver Grove Heights than Woodbury, and I don't see why MN-03 would extend north into Andover instead of into Blaine instead. Also giving MN-01 all of the counties in the lower tier of MN-02 EXCEPT for Rice is basically the sort of thing that a GOP gerrymander would do instead of a non-partisan plan.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2011, 11:22:49 PM »

For MN, I've used the 2009 census estimates at the level of minor civil divisions to get the metro area pop for 2010. This is much more accurate than the direct estimates from the App, which I used only to draw the maps. Using that data, I've tried to minimize changes to existing districts while respecting counties and municipalities to the extent possible.

Well Bemidji is now in MN-08, which I doubt would bother too many. Some of the metro splits are weird though, I would say MN-04 is far more likely to expand to the Cottage Grove area via Inver Grove Heights than Woodbury, and I don't see why MN-03 would extend north into Andover instead of into Blaine instead.
Adding the rest of Coon Rapids, Anoka and Andover was the right amount of population. Blaine was not (it's too big). Personally, I would rather have CD-3 go into Wright and not into Anoka at all. It would avoid the river crossing and far western Hennepin is indistinguishable from Wright. But I wanted to build as closely to the existing districts as possible, so I continued with Anoka.

Again this was a question of population. Adding LeSueur and Goodhue while losing the SW counties was just the right shift. Rice was less so. I could also argue that northern Rice is much more connected to the metro than either LeSueur or Goodhue, so if I'm trying to work with whole counties, that's the right split.

To your earlier question about CD-4, the answer is in CD-1. LeSueur and Goodhue take pop from CD-2 and keeping Cottage Grove in CD-2 is too much, so I used Mendota Heights in CD-2 instead. That leaves no room for CD-4 in Dakota except for W and S St Paul. CD-4 needed a lot of pop and Woodbury and Cottage Grove fit best, while losing Mahtomedi and the other WBL area towns in Washington.

I probably have more sense of this area than most posters (BRTD being one of the excluded), since I lived in Ramsey and Rice when I was younger, and some of my immediate family continued to live in Ramsey County until last year. I have other more distant relatives that I see less frequently elsewhere in the Twins. Though I moved out of the eastern TC Metro long ago I've visited at least once a year.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2011, 11:40:27 PM »

Well Bemidji is now in MN-08, which I doubt would bother too many. Some of the metro splits are weird though, I would say MN-04 is far more likely to expand to the Cottage Grove area via Inver Grove Heights than Woodbury, and I don't see why MN-03 would extend north into Andover instead of into Blaine instead.
Adding the rest of Coon Rapids, Anoka and Andover was the right amount of population. Blaine was not (it's too big). Personally, I would rather have CD-3 go into Wright and not into Anoka at all. It would avoid the river crossing and far western Hennepin is indistinguishable from Wright. But I wanted to build as closely to the existing districts as possible, so I continued with Anoka.

I don't think splitting Blaine like Coon Rapids is now would be a big deal. But I suppose that makes sense.

Again this was a question of population. Adding LeSueur and Goodhue while losing the SW counties was just the right shift. Rice was less so. I could also argue that northern Rice is much more connected to the metro than either LeSueur or Goodhue, so if I'm trying to work with whole counties, that's the right split.

That's certainly not true in Le Sueur's case, for example my mom's hometown straddles the Le Sueur/Scott border and has changed since then into an exurb. No one really associates Northfield with the metro, it's just a college town close-ish to it. Faribault is definitely much closer to southern Minnesota than the metro as I mentioned earlier.

To your earlier question about CD-4, the answer is in CD-1. LeSueur and Goodhue take pop from CD-2 and keeping Cottage Grove in CD-2 is too much, so I used Mendota Heights in CD-2 instead.

Ugh, I'd hate to work in MN-02. Tongue

That leaves no room for CD-4 in Dakota except for W and S St Paul. CD-4 needed a lot of pop and Woodbury and Cottage Grove fit best, while losing Mahtomedi and the other WBL area towns in Washington.

I agree that the latter part is likely to happen anyway, but Woodbury just doesn't fit in MN-04. Then again it doesn't fit in MN-06 either, and there's really no way to properly attach it to MN-02.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2011, 11:56:09 PM »

I'd go west with CD-3, probably into Carver taking Chanhasen and Chaska.  Including Coon Rapids may have been OK in 2000 when just needed to go outside Heneppin a bit, but now CD-3 has to become more of a west Metro, rather than just Hennepin.  You could also go into Wright, but a lot of the growth in Wright is towards the NW, so you would be somewhat cutting off MN-6 from St.Cloud.

And with MN-5 extending northward toward Brooklyn River, it is cutting off Anoka from Hennepin, and MN-3 is threatening to split Anoka.

If MN-3 went into Carver, then MN-2 could take all of Dakota and the southern part of Washington, which would force MN-4 further north in Washington, and make MN-6 more of Anoka and St Cloud district.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 02:02:30 AM by The Awful Truth of Loving »

I can't believe I never thought of this earlier: Using the app's figures to find out the exact racial demographics of my precinct. Hmmm:

48% White
19% Black
1% Native
6% Asian
20% Hispanic
6% Other

So how much of the white vote did Obama get? I've often wondered how Democratic Minneapolis whites are. Well he got 89% precinct-wide. Let's just assume he got close to 100% of the black vote. He probably got around 80% of the Hispanic vote, but their turnout is always a lot lower, so let's also assume they turned out at only about half the rate of the other groups. The Asians are actually more Vietnamese than Hmong, and Vietnamese are Republican similar to Cubans, but I don't think the Vietnamese here would vote much (they are largely illegal and don't speak English.) I did see something really weird a couple months ago in some apartment building's window or somewhere, it looked like a sort of tribute to Ngo Dinh Diem, definitely was a photo of him. But anyway probably about a third of the Asians here are Americanized hipster types just like the whites. The "Other" are probably mostly Somalis who don't vote.

So let's assume turnout is like:

58% White
23% Black
1% Native
4% Asian
12% Hispanic
2% Other

Obama got 89%, so assuming that 23 points was from blacks, 1 from Natives, 2 from Asians, 10 from Hispanics and 2 from Other, 51 points of that was from whites. That would put Obama at about 88% of the white vote. Even I didn't expect it would be THAT high. Actually even giving Obama 100% of the non-white vote gives him about 81% of the white vote. Of course whites city-wide are no doubt less Democratic than here, anything below 70% for Obama isn't likely anywhere though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2011, 04:22:19 AM »

The most problematical part of Muon2's map to me is where MN-04 will expand. He is moving around a lot of territory in order to rather perfervidly avoid splits of anything. I tend to think the court will hew more to the existing lines between MN-02 and MN-04, and just work from there. So MN-04 expands more into Dakota where it was before, and out of Washington. Just my wild guess.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2011, 10:38:26 AM »

I'd go west with CD-3, probably into Carver taking Chanhasen and Chaska.  Including Coon Rapids may have been OK in 2000 when just needed to go outside Heneppin a bit, but now CD-3 has to become more of a west Metro, rather than just Hennepin.  You could also go into Wright, but a lot of the growth in Wright is towards the NW, so you would be somewhat cutting off MN-6 from St.Cloud.

And with MN-5 extending northward toward Brooklyn River, it is cutting off Anoka from Hennepin, and MN-3 is threatening to split Anoka.

If MN-3 went into Carver, then MN-2 could take all of Dakota and the southern part of Washington, which would force MN-4 further north in Washington, and make MN-6 more of Anoka and St Cloud district.

Carver would be about 15 K too small to replace the Anoka parts of CD3 on my map. It would be better to add all of Wright except for Monticello (city and twp). That also keeps the swap just between CD3 and CD6.

The most problematical part of Muon2's map to me is where MN-04 will expand. He is moving around a lot of territory in order to rather perfervidly avoid splits of anything. I tend to think the court will hew more to the existing lines between MN-02 and MN-04, and just work from there. So MN-04 expands more into Dakota where it was before, and out of Washington. Just my wild guess.

There's a very natural cultural division between the W and S St Paul parts of Dakota and everything else. St Paul crosses the river and those two old suburbs have long been associated with the capital city. The Eagan/Burnsville/Apple Valley area make up the core of CD 2 and I don't see CD 4 splitting into that area, which would be needed to push CD 2 more into Washington.

Let's go back to jimrtex's Carver move into CD 3 and see where it would lead. It would move Cottage Grove and Woodbury from Washington into CD 2, making 94/494 the dividing line between CD 2 and CD 4. Virtually all the rest of Washington would need to go into CD 4, so that only Forest Lake would remain in CD 6. You could argue that those are more compact districts, but they represent a far more substantial change in the CDs from the current plan, as the districts make a major shift counterclockwise around the Cities.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2011, 12:41:05 PM »

muon is definitely right about northern Dakota county. I work in that area (though as noted he put where I work in MN-02, where it doesn't fit either.)

What's weird is you have what is basically a rural area located there just across the river from the airport and a five minute drive from Minneapolis. It's mostly forests complete with deer running across the streets and even has some farming. If you drive through the town of Mendota (not Mendota Heights), you'd think it was some small town in outstate Minnesota if it wasn't for the visible Minneapolis skyline. It's even not all that accessible from the inner cities unless you have a car, no bus routes go there. Quite an oddity.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2011, 02:33:21 AM »

here is my plan to pack the republicans into two districts

This is a zoomed out view of the state

This is a zoomed in twin cities area
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »

Check it out, it's Minnesota's old maps:

http://www.gis.leg.mn/html/maps/leg_districts.html
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
« Edited: May 10, 2011, 09:12:38 AM by brittain33 »

Republicans proposed a map that appears to make MN-7 safe for Chip Cravaack and shore up MN-3 a little while keeping Bachmann in a reduced MN-6. They drew a Duluth-Moorhead district.

http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/diary/9131/gop-unveils-another-bad-congressional-map
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »

Republicans proposed a map that appears to make MN-7 safe for Chip Cravaack and shore up MN-3 a little while keeping Bachmann in a reduced MN-6. They drew a Duluth-Moorhead district.

http://www.mnprogressiveproject.com/diary/9131/gop-unveils-another-bad-congressional-map

No surprise there. Won't be signed.

Wow split Blue Earth and Nicollet. That really pisses me off.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:26 PM »

why do the republicans bother proposing such preposterous maps? They know it will get vetoed.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »

why do the republicans bother proposing such preposterous maps? They know it will get vetoed.

Wonder if they can send this through as a constitutional amendment.

But its probably for the same reason that Nevada Democrats did what they did. To spend their time doing something.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »

Wonder if they can send this through as a constitutional amendment.

But its probably for the same reason that Nevada Democrats did what they did. To spend their time doing something.

It is amazing how a poster can feign such a high level of ignorance over a very simple issue. Legislatures pass maps because it is their job.

The proposed map is an excellent map on two accounts. First, it is beneficial to Republicans. It isn't a dummymander. Second, it isn't a gerrymander, either. Going to court, the legislature will have passed a map that is entirely reasonable. There is a Minneapolis district, a St Paul District. An inner suburban district, and two outer suburban districts. The southern district is a natural result of the metro area barrier. The remaining two upstate districts stretch East to West, which is as valid of a choice as North to South.

I would note that the last time redistricting went to court, the courts restructured the districts in Minnesota creating outer suburban districts to the South, and North and West of the metro area, decimating seats in South Minnesota. The proposed map follows the previous restructuring.

The critics of the map are reduced to claiming it is "preposterous" because the inner suburban district expands into the outer suburban areas at a place favorable to Republicans. Well, due to lower population growths, the inner districts had to expand into the outer areas somewhere. What would be "preposterous" would be for a Republican legislature doing it at a place favorable to Democrats. Do you think they are that stupid?

Claims about an impending veto also ring hollow. I don't see the same standard applied to Nevada, and other states where a Republican governor will veto a Democratic leaning map.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »

Unless a court is going to draw a map like the Pubbies did, if the parties cannot cut a deal, then yes, the map is DOA. As a Dem I would just toss it in the wastebasket and laugh at how the Pubbies can dream the impossible dream.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Unless a court is going to draw a map like the Pubbies did, if the parties cannot cut a deal, then yes, the map is DOA. As a Dem I would just toss it in the wastebasket and laugh at how the Pubbies can dream the impossible dream.

That's the point! Entering litigation, the Republicans will have passed a map that is suitable inasmuch as it compact, respects county lines, etc.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2011, 10:37:05 PM by J'ai change cent fois de nom »

It's a gerrymander. It combines MN-03 with Carver County and McLeod County which it has no reason to be combined with and splits Walz's base by removing Nicollet. Nicollet and McLeod are not metro counties and have no place in a metro district. And Nicollet has no place being separated from Blue Earth.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2011, 10:59:10 PM »

It's a gerrymander. It combines MN-03 with Carver County and McLeod County which it has no reason to be combined with and splits Walz's base by removing Nicollet. Nicollet and McLeod are not metro counties and have no place in a metro district. And Nicollet has no place being separated from Blue Earth.

Calling it a "gerrymander" doesn't make it a gerrymander.

Words have meaning, and the meaning of "gerrymander" is simply not "taking line choices that I don't like."

Here is a little reality for you: the metro population is not exactly five districts, so some of those districts must include areas outside the metro. That simply isn't "gerrymandering."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »

It is when it's obviously done just to shore up the closest Republican held seat (MN-03) or carve out the base of of a Dem incumbent (which is blatantly what the separation of Nicollet and Blue Earth is.)

Have you ever been to the Mankato area? I lived there for five years. Mankato (Blue Earth) and North Mankato (Nicollet) are so closely linked that they don't even have separate "now entering" signs, the city limits for both just says both Mankato and North Mankato. There is no reason to separate it besides splitting a Democratic incumbent's home.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies