European Union Expansion by 2030 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:42:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  European Union Expansion by 2030 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following countries do you see joining the EU by the end of the next decade?
Serbia

Montenegro

Macedonia

Kosovo

Albania

Iceland

Turkey

Bosnia/Herzegovina

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: European Union Expansion by 2030  (Read 22276 times)
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« on: May 31, 2011, 12:26:11 PM »

I voted Croatia and Montenegro.

Strong candidates are Iceland (if the banking stuff sorts) and Macedonia (if they can resolve the naming dispute with Greece).

Albania and Bosnia/Herz have paths but need some work.  Serbia is tied to Kosovo, nothing happens until sovereignty is settled.

Turkey?  That's "not a ing prayer" territory.  Turkey in the EU is DOA.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:25:14 AM »

Reason I continue to say Macedonia will be a yes is that Greece's bargaining power has been eroded considerably due to their...problems.  Rest of Europe is going to be less likely to let Macedonia's entry be stalled due to the asinine name debate when Greece is nearing total collapse.

Perhaps, but I doubt anyone will call Greece on it publically.  Realpolitik between EU member states is bad for the "project"; hell, thus far, they've been reluctant to even call out Greece on the obvious stuff.

Plus, the EU seems to give substantial deference to existing and more senior members.  If it's between Macedonia and Greece, Greece wins.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:04:39 PM »

I have to say, Greece's problem with Macedonia is possibly the single most irredeemably stupid instance of geopolitical friction extant, at least that I am aware of. Greece's position on this is so childish, silly, and insane that I really wonder why the international community hasn't just told them to buck up and deal with it.

Yeah, they're doing such a great job with the whole "pay your bills" thing, I'm sure they'll adjust behavior on Macedonia with a limp-wristed push by the EU.  :-)

I'd be embarassed to be Greek right now; their behavior on the international stage is almost uniformly infantile.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies