MA: Regional Budget (In the works)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:28:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Regional Budget (In the works)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: MA: Regional Budget (In the works)  (Read 27115 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »

If the Reichstag Assembly would please take a break from trying to enact the editoral page of The National Review into law, I might get a chance to work on data for the budget. Tongue

You are free to leave that debate up to the Assembly and other members of the region if you would like to be able to focus on the budget then Smiley

I'd like nothing more, A-Bob. But with the Assembly and Governors office entirely consisting of right-wingers (minus Junkie), it feels like its fallen to me to be the de facto opposition representative of anyone in the Mideast to the left of Attila the Hun. Tongue
First off, I somewhat take offense to being labeled a right-winger, as my record both in the Senate and as Governor reflect otherwise. On several pieces of legislation, I have rejected some of the Assembly's rightist requests, and tried to compromise. Similar to the position Mitt Romney was in as Governor, there's not really a whole lot I can do, as the conservatives have numbers to override me. So the best I can do is tone down the legislation a bit. You act like you're being completely ignored, and that's not the case. I've taken in your suggestions on multiple occasions, especially on the union bill, and have made amendments to meet your requests.

Badger, you keep whining and moaning about the work being done in this Assembly. You know, we wouldn't be passing all these right-wing bills if we'd have something to work with from the GM's office. All you've given us to this point is a vague unemployment number that shows the work we've done in the past few months has lowered our unemployment numbers. Maybe instead of constantly complaining about the work we're doing and messaging every single moderate or liberal in the region, urging them to run for the Assembly or for Governor, you could actually do your job and give us the reports we've been asking for since you took your job several months ago. And if you really have a problem with the work being done in the Mideast, why don't you run for office yourself?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »

If the Reichstag Assembly would please take a break from trying to enact the editoral page of The National Review into law, I might get a chance to work on data for the budget. Tongue

You are free to leave that debate up to the Assembly and other members of the region if you would like to be able to focus on the budget then Smiley

I'd like nothing more, A-Bob. But with the Assembly and Governors office entirely consisting of right-wingers (minus Junkie), it feels like its fallen to me to be the de facto opposition representative of anyone in the Mideast to the left of Attila the Hun. Tongue
First off, I somewhat take offense to being labeled a right-winger, as my record both in the Senate and as Governor reflect otherwise. On several pieces of legislation, I have rejected some of the Assembly's rightist requests, and tried to compromise. Similar to the position Mitt Romney was in as Governor, there's not really a whole lot I can do, as the conservatives have numbers to override me. So the best I can do is tone down the legislation a bit. You act like you're being completely ignored, and that's not the case. I've taken in your suggestions on multiple occasions, especially on the union bill, and have made amendments to meet your requests.

Badger, you keep whining and moaning about the work being done in this Assembly. You know, we wouldn't be passing all these right-wing bills if we'd have something to work with from the GM's office. All you've given us to this point is a vague unemployment number that shows the work we've done in the past few months has lowered our unemployment numbers. Maybe instead of constantly complaining about the work we're doing and messaging every single moderate or liberal in the region, urging them to run for the Assembly or for Governor, you could actually do your job and give us the reports we've been asking for since you took your job several months ago. And if you really have a problem with the work being done in the Mideast, why don't you run for office yourself?

Gov:

1) No offense, Issac, but notwithstanding opposition to capital punishment and and commendable support for animal welfare, you are still quite conservative. Not Sharron Angle or Ken Buck conservative, but still decidedly well right of center. Yes, you can and do compromise and have an equally commendable pragmatic streak, but when a rather staunch conservative such as yourself has become the "political center" for the Mideastern government, well that kind of proves my point.

2) Honestly, I would love nothing more than to be able to be GM. I actually have had the printed out paperwork to run the budget numbers (and FWIW, recruited Dr. Cynic last week to help) for weeks. This is literally the 3rd or 4th afternoon or morning I've had free and planned on crunching the numbers but felt I had to respond to the Reichstag's Assembly's head long lurch to the right (which as Cathcon has indicated, maybe has only just begun).

I'm not going to apologize for that. This region's government has long been a well balanced mix of parties and ideologies, then after the last election its suddenly 100% RPP and everyone but Junkie, a moderate, is a staunch conservative--and at least 2-3 of them are hard right conservatives well out of step for this region. Looking at the voter census, only about half the voters are RPP or Pops, but the government is acting like it wants to be the new IDS. Angry And you expect the rest of the region to be silent about this? I'm only sorry that others like Ben and Happy are too busy in Nyman and others not active enough that I'm the only one voicing such concerns (publically at least).

3) Yes, Issac, I've PM'd 3 people looking for some balance in the regional government. As I've noted above, it desperately needs it. Again, I'd love nothing more to be full time GM again rather than voice of reason/de facto opposition leader. I don't want to have to lead recall and initiative petitions, but faced with this government, what are the options? Ignore it? And I'm asking others to take up that banner so that I don't have to! Angry

And for the record, I'm more than committed to this job as GM. I've turned down offers to run for VP and President in the last week to do it. But if things don't slow down, yes, I may be forced against my very dear wishes to stay GM to instead run for governor to put the brakes on. I really don't want to, but....

4) I'm sorry you're frustrated with my distraction from GM duties to actually be active in regional government. So am I. BUT, just among many many examples, when we have the Speaker of the Assembly and RPP candidate for governor literally proposing to prohibit free speech and association rights to prohibit union organizing in private businesses, and then pushes legalization of blacklisting union organizers for employment, what is one to expect? (Yes, your opposition to both is duly noted, but A-Bob wasn't alone in supporting this either, and as Cathcon noted above there's no plans to stop....)

In short, I only spend so much time objecting because there is an unprecedented amount of objectionable stuff being proposed. With respect, Governor, I believe most Mideasterners would consider the government's abandonment of centerism to be the problem here, rather than my objections to that development.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 01:03:50 PM »

BTW: Please don't try to place the responsibility, Governor, of the above bolded part as a lack of a budget analysis from the GM's Office. Much of the Assembly seems quite committed to its cause of action regardless. Roll Eyes

You wrote a very well reasoned post, Isaac, albeit I disagree with it as previously noted. As far as that silly line, however, I'm calling you on it. Wink

But hey, if a budget analysis will really distract the Assembly even temporarily with something new and shiny, I'll be on it in an hour after coming back from lunch. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »

BTW: Please don't try to place the responsibility, Governor, of the above bolded part as a lack of a budget analysis from the GM's Office. Much of the Assembly seems quite committed to its cause of action regardless. Roll Eyes

You wrote a very well reasoned post, Isaac, albeit I disagree with it as previously noted. As far as that silly line, however, I'm calling you on it. Wink

But hey, if a budget analysis will really distract the Assembly even temporarily with something new and shiny, I'll be on it in an hour after coming back from lunch. Tongue

Maybe that line is a little dramatic, but I personally know from grumblings from a couple Assemblymembers that they'd much rather be working on finishing this budget than passing these bills. Wink I appreciate your commitment to the region and your position, Badger, and look forward to critically assessing your report. Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »

Yes actually. We've actually held off on legislation to wait for this budget (as I told the Governor who has a stack of bills ready for the Assembly). And the reason we aren't focussing on economic growth and anything truly to do with numbers right now is because it is pointless to do when the budget is suppose to be moments away from a numbers report.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »

OK, Mideast: Here is a preliminary comparison of the proposed budget's spending to RL spending. First, a couple of ground rules:

First off: CHECK MY WORK AND COMMENT FREELY IF YOU THINK I'M FACTORING/ADDING THINGS WRONG. While, yes, the GM has the final say on what is "reality", but I trust a group's review of facts more than my individual judgment (as long as I'm part of that group, of course  Grin).

Secondly, this is a review of spending only. A comparison of tax rates and resulting surplus or deficit will come later once Dr. Cynic has provided me the review of RL state tax info I've requested.

Third, A-Bob's quite therough budget outline paralleled the NathanNewmann Budget Simulation the Atlasian federal government adopted. A very good choice. Wink The only problem is that there is no similar on-line model for RL state budgets (at least that I've found), let alone one that combines several state budgets like the Mideast region. Accordingly I've been basing the RL spending on this website. My point here is there's going to be a certain amount of trying to fit a round peg into a square hole between the Assembly's outline and these numbers. I'm going to rely on the regional government to translate between the two.

Finally, I didn't include DC in the calculations as "state spending" is largely a misnomer there and skews the numbers. Also numbers and percentages may not add up exactly due to rounding. (But don't hesitate to point out any errors that are apparently bigger than mere "rounding").

So here is a comparison to RL FY2010 spending in the states comprising the Mideast (in $ Bil):

TOTAL SPENDING: $325.8 Billion

Pensions: $42.7 (13.1%)

Health Care: $99.7 (30.6%)

Education: $67.9 (20.8%)

Welfare: $36.5 (11.2%)

Protection: $19.2 (5.9%)

Transportation: $25.8 (7.9%)

Other: $35.0 (10.7%)

FYI: The total RL budget shortfall of "Mideastern" states is 35.5 Bil, but that has no bearing on the Mideastern numbers until tax rates are completed. (Dr. Cynic just forwarded a list of RL sales taxes for my review, so we're making progress there--thanks Doc!).

A couple notes on these numbers: Do you all see what I mean about fitting the square peg of the Assembly's budget outline into the round hole of these numbers with their only 7 broad spending categories? Since you've all been chomping at the bit to do something, it'll be up to you guys to figure out if the budget priorities are where you want them by comparing these broad catagories to your own proposal. I'll offer any additional detail requested if possible. I suggest first looking at the other two links I provided earlier in the thread.

I'll simply note two observations without judgment: First, there is no provision in the Assembly's outline for pensions; that will have to be addressed as the GM's office will assume the regional budget, like the RL states, carry a heavy load of such expenses. How you want to address it is up to you, of course. Secondly, although the outline spends over 10% more money than RL, it still spends considerably less (at first glance) on education and health care. Much of this seems to stem from the $160 Billion in tax credits that may be more applicable to the federal budget at first glance (though obviously there's no reason the Mideast can't adopt regional level tax credits).

This should give you all enough to do until I get the analysis of the tax proposal done. Thanks for your patience, and the floor is open for questions, comments, invective, etc.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2010, 12:42:08 AM »

On education I thought we had enough funds (half of the federal spending) however Illinois alone spends around $8 billion (not that they have much to show) so I am definitely open to increase in education spending.

I see how I've missed pensions though as pensions are addressed via tax credits but not as budget spending.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2010, 01:28:13 PM »

I see how I've missed pensions though as pensions are addressed via tax credits but not as budget spending.

Well, sort of. The tax credits you refer to....

Pension & Retirement Deductions ($46.49 billion)
$17.55 billion ..... Employer-paid Pensions (No Change)
$15.55 billion ..... 401Ks & Keogh plans (No Change)
$2.41 billion ...... IRAs (No Change)
$10.12 billion ..... Group and personal life insurance benefits (No Change)
$0.86 billion ...... Other retirement benefits (No Change)

....are federal tax deductions for various pension and retirement payments, but not the actual pension/retirement plan payments themselves. The payment of pensions is a separate matter to address. I'm really not sure if these deductions match what the various "Mideast" states in RL lose from exclusions from state taxation or not. Anybody? Huh

However, if you put a gun to my head and forced a guess I'd say the deductions would be a smaller percentage compared to the federal budget, simply because state taxes rely more on sales and property taxes than income and estate taxes.

If someone wants to do even "tip of the iceburg" level research on this, using even just one RL "Mideastern" state, please feel free as it could save the region a lot of revenue. Wink Calculating the relative share of tax breaks/exemptions for regional "spending" compared to the federal budget's share of "spending" would be a good first step.

I'd take a few minutes with a calculator and do it myself, but I gotta get to court. Tongue
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2010, 01:31:06 PM »

Are you in the assembly Badger? You should if your not. Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »

Are you in the assembly Badger? You should if your not. Smiley

Been there, done that. Wink It was some of my happiest time in Atlasia. Nope, just a happy busybody. AS GM that's kinda my job. Grin
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »

Here's an initial calculation of "sales" (i.e. "ad valorum") taxes in the Mideast. Again, the key here is please check my work and make corrections, comments where you believe my numbers are wrong.

Here is the report SoIA Dr. Cynic prepared at my request re: RL sales taxes (Thanks Doc!):

IN - 7%
KY - 6%
MD - 6%
MO - 4% (rounded)
VA - 4%
WI - 5%

MI - 6%
OH - 6% (Rounded)
IL - 6% (Rounded)

Those are the sales tax figures

I advised him to not include DC or WV for now. Assessing the first 6 states as "size 1" states, and the latter 3 as "size 2"--and thus giving them double weight for averaging the regional sales tax--this averaged a RL sales tax of: 5.67%. It was too hard to average in WV as a "size 1/2" state, so I'll say their 6% sales tax bumps up the RL regional average to: 5.7%

Based on the website below (also linked at the bottom post of page 1 in this thread:

http://www.usgovernmentrevenue.com/#usgs302a

I added the total RL revenue of all ad valorum taxes (more on the distinction between these and sales taxes later) to be: $76.4 Billion

Translating that from an average 5.7% sales tax rate to the 1% sales tax rate proposed for the Mideast results in net revenue of: $13.4 Billion. This is a shortfall of $63 Billion Shocked from real life which would have to be cut further from the budget---maybe....

First, I haven't yet calculated what revenues will be raised from other taxes like income, etc. Dr. Cynic hopes to have a similar rundown of RL state income tax rates in Mideastern states over the weekend (thanks again, Doc--you rock! Cheesy).

More importantly, the "ad valorum" taxes in RL don't include property taxes. The Mideast is proposing a rather unusual tax structure. In RL property taxes are almost entirely assessed by local governments rather than state (regional) governments, and have been so for about a century. Now, I'm not sure I personally oppose the RL theory of emphasizing property taxes over sales taxes as the latter are far more regressive. But that's a policy decision for the region.

There are, however, 2 major factors to consider: First, these state regional property taxes would be in addition to all property taxes currently assessed by local governments and school districts, which are no less heavy in Atlasia than in RL. While the region would have a really low sales tax rate (only a couple states are lower in RL), it would be a bitch to property owners.

The second factor is that is going to be an absolute bitch for yours truly to even guesstimate the revenue produced by such a region wide property tax. Tongue I can add and estimate RL comparisons for sales tax, income tax, etc. to compare, but a state-wide property tax is absolutely without comparison.

While I really don't want to stifle creativity, I'm going to at least float the idea of giving Mideastern property owners a break (as well as the GM Tongue) and seriously consider replacing the property tax for an increase elsewhere in taxes I can actually measure like sales, income and excise.

Thoughts?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2010, 07:40:51 PM »

I had sales tax low and property added to spread revenue out, though I wouldn't be opposed to just a higher sales tax, though I'd like the rest of the numbers completed first since spending should be lower than all the states RL combined and then we can go from there.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »

I had sales tax low and property added to spread revenue out, though I wouldn't be opposed to just a higher sales tax, though I'd like the rest of the numbers completed first since spending should be lower than all the states RL combined and then we can go from there.

Huh Por que'?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »

Huh Por que'?

As you already said, the states combined at almost 36 billion in the hole. Plus there's a whole lot of waste. Illinois is approaching the 10 billion mark on education and have nothing to show for it (btw that's over half of Colorado's entire budget Tongue )
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 02:49:24 PM »

Huh Por que'?

As you already said, the states combined at almost 36 billion in the hole. Plus there's a whole lot of waste. Illinois is approaching the 10 billion mark on education and have nothing to show for it (btw that's over half of Colorado's entire budget Tongue )

"Nothing to show for it"? Cite?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that IL has about 3 times CO's population would it?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »

Huh Por que'?

"Nothing to show for it"? Cite?

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that IL has about 3 times CO's population would it?

I got the Illinois info from the link you provided and I know the Colorado budget is $18 billion. Yes they are bigger, but it's still a lot of money
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »

Any observations/problems with the calculations we produced for sales tax revenue? FWIW, if you eliminate the regional property tax (please, on behalf of beleaguered property owners and GM's everywhere Tongue) and raise the sales tax to 5.7%, the GM's office estimates that it will raise the same "ad valorum tax" revenue as RL--$76.4 Billion.

BTW: I forgot to mention, these calculations include an exemption on sales taxes for groceries and prescription medication which most Mideastern states have in RL. Any increases/reductions in that 5.7% rate (0% on groceries and prescriptions) will accordingly increase or decrease revenues from that $76.4 Bil level.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »

I would be fine supporting this proposal. However, we may not need to even raise it all the way to 5.7%. It will be much more clear on where we can cut and balance taxes once we get everything in, but I see no problem with this, especially wit hthe exemptions you mentioned.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 09:07:13 AM »

I would be fine supporting this proposal. However, we may not need to even raise it all the way to 5.7%. It will be much more clear on where we can cut and balance taxes once we get everything in, but I see no problem with this, especially wit hthe exemptions you mentioned.

Whatever level you guys want to set it at is your collective decision. My simple point is that, upon (hopeful Wink) elimination of the regional level property tax, the "baseline" level for sales tax is 5.7% (with exemptions for groceries and prescriptions)= $76.4 Billion in revenue.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:25 PM »

Good news. I've found some websites with income tax rate info.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_statetaxrate_oh.html

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Ohio.asp

I won't have much chance to work on this stuff until Friday, and I have <gasp> non-forum stuff planned all weekend. If anyone want to even try averaging the non-flat income tax states rates out in the meantime to speed things up I won't complain. Grin
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 05:21:08 PM »

To help your work Badger, here's the new income tax brackets for the region (just to make it universal).

-- 0.500 percent on taxable income between $5,001 and $10,000
-- 0.750 percent on taxable income between $10,001 and $15,000
-- 1.000 percent on taxable income between $15,001 and $20,000
-- 1.500 percent on taxable income between $20,001 and $40,000
-- 2.000 percent on taxable income between $40,001 and $80,000
-- 2.500 percent on taxable income between $80,001 and $100,000
-- 3.000 percent on taxable income between $100,001 and $200,000
-- 3.750 percent on taxable income of $200,001 and above.

There will be 0% tax on incomes below $5,000
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 05:23:22 PM »

I also updated the latest tax info, 5.7% sales tax, eliminating the property tax
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2011, 05:51:36 PM »

Wait a minute, A-Bob. At the risk of seeming ungrateful---and I am for the elimination of the property tax; it'll keep the region from having the highest home taxes in the country as well as make my job easier---please don't feel you have to change the income tax rates just to make my job easier. Seriously, once I figure out an "average" RL income tax rate for states in the Mideast, comparing and calculating the income produced by a regional income tax rate will be a snap. Besides, the rates you're changing to are consistant with Ohio's RL rates only, but vary widely from most other states in the region.

It'll be tricky to "average" tax brackets, but I can do it. Wink Tell you what, since its little work once the RL "average" income tax is determined, I'll do revenue analysis for both proposed tax rates.

Thanks for trying to make it easier on me anyway. Wink
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2011, 07:23:42 PM »

Sounds good, at least it will be slightly easier for Ohio Wink Though then it will be less work in the future when we decide if we need more revenue or less and can easily "cut" or "raise" the income tax rates because we already have both plans Cheesy
The Artist Formerly Known As and Now Again Known As Ogis
agooji

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »

$4.99 billion ..... Other Corporate Tax Breaks (No Change)

Is this going to be defined by statute, because it is worryingly nonspecific....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies