MA: Regional Budget (In the works)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:58:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Regional Budget (In the works)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: MA: Regional Budget (In the works)  (Read 27125 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »

so... how do we keep this process moving forward?

and can we look at doing some tax reform?Smiley
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »

To clear this all up for all the tax credits I wrote (no change) for all of them because I was thinking it would be based off of the first budget, therefore it would be impossible for a change of added or subracted dollars. I only could guess on the tax credits necessary for positive economic growth based off of the national tax credits but for 1/4 of the nation. Is this making sense?

Anyways I would just like to clear that up. Ask me if this still doesn't make sense.

Thanks
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2011, 08:43:33 PM »

Where exactly are we at?

Has the GM finalized a full analysis yet?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »

To clear this all up for all the tax credits I wrote (no change) for all of them because I was thinking it would be based off of the first budget, therefore it would be impossible for a change of added or subracted dollars. I only could guess on the tax credits necessary for positive economic growth based off of the national tax credits but for 1/4 of the nation. Is this making sense?

Anyways I would just like to clear that up. Ask me if this still doesn't make sense.

Thanks

I was assuming that the list and figures of tax credits/deductions were based off the total of state level tax expenditures. But now, if I understand you correctly, you are saying they were based on a list of those for the nation, divided by 4? 
I understand then why they added up to be so much in comparison to the budget, since as far as I know, states do not generally have many tax deductions, especially compared to the federal level which has many.
In that case there may not be much room to raise the region's revenue through eliminating tax credits and deductions, but I may look into it a bit more to see which states have them.

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

Yes, in reality the numbers I proposed were complete guestimations to start off the debate. Though if we left them at current levels, those tax credits and deductions would be a lot more than RL, which would in turn boost our economy.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »

Yes, in reality the numbers I proposed were complete guestimations to start off the debate. Though if we left them at current levels, those tax credits and deductions would be a lot more than RL, which would in turn boost our economy.

The problem is I'm not sure we have the funds to allow those tax credits - because your tax credits have to be much lower than what your tax revenue would be without them - otherwise you wont have any money to fund the government.  My understanding is that Badger made his revenue calculation based on RL state tax deduction policy. So I believe we should be starting from RL in terms of what deductions to get rid of, not to add to, given our potential deficit. Some credits may be helpful to economic growth, but most are not worth higher deficits or higher overall tax rates.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2011, 11:09:22 PM »

The problem is I'm not sure we have the funds to allow those tax credits - because your tax credits have to be much lower than what your tax revenue would be without them - otherwise you wont have any money to fund the government.  My understanding is that Badger made his revenue calculation based on RL state tax deduction policy. So I believe we should be starting from RL in terms of what deductions to get rid of, not to add to, given our potential deficit. Some credits may be helpful to economic growth, but most are not worth higher deficits or higher overall tax rates.

The problem is to calculate the RL tax credits in all these areas for multiple states. Would you be able to do it Badger?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2011, 01:07:21 AM »

here are links to state tax expenditure reports: http://www.itepnet.org/other_resources/state_tereport.php     (some of them - i read not all states do them and Virginia doesn't seem to have its 5yr report completed)
i dunno if maybe there's a way to make a simple estimate, maybe choose one state that's representative of the region and extrapolate that figure based on the ratio of GDP from state to region?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »

The problem is to calculate the RL tax credits in all these areas for multiple states. Would you be able to do it Badger?

No. Tongue

Seriously though: I would ask you to assume all such taxs deductions exist to the same degree "as in real life". Yes, that varies from state to state. However, if you don't have a strong position (or even familiarity) on the current tax deductability levels, then there's noo reason to change those deduciton levels, is there?

Present me any homework with a cite for your source and I'll gladly do analysis from there.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: February 06, 2011, 12:06:47 AM »

No. Tongue

Seriously though: I would ask you to assume all such taxs deductions exist to the same degree "as in real life". Yes, that varies from state to state. However, if you don't have a strong position (or even familiarity) on the current tax deductability levels, then there's noo reason to change those deduciton levels, is there?

Present me any homework with a cite for your source and I'll gladly do analysis from there.

But that's the problem, how can we change the deduction numbers or not change them from a number we don't have?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #85 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

No. Tongue

But that's the problem, how can we change the deduction numbers or not change them from a number we don't have?

The numbers aren't mine, Governor, they're out there in real life tax statutes. Find them. Google, Wikipedia, etc. It's not that I'm being lazy, I just really don't have time at this moment between China, the GTO bombing, etc. etc. etc.

What I would say is that generally the deductions are allowed in full (i.e. contributions to a Keogh plan, etc). I'm sure there are some limits on some of these deductions, like the $5k limit annually to IRA contributions, but you guys may have to take up the leas there.

What I'd suggest is pick a particular deduction out of that list, and if no one is willing to figure it out individually, do it as a team. there's 5 assembly members plus the gov; everyone take a state or two in the Mideast and look up the RL tax deductability on line. Heck, if it truly is a team effort I'll gladly take a state or two myself to help.

The key here is while I pride myself on being an active number crunching GM, I simply can't do it all. So....GO TEAM MIDEAST!! Wink
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2011, 04:56:16 PM »

so if we find the relevant tax statutes, is there a way to calculate the total cost of the deduction?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »

so if we find the relevant tax statutes, is there a way to calculate the total cost of the deduction?

If you guys/we guys can do step one, I can seriously help---maybe even do entirely--step 2.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2011, 12:30:40 PM »

Badger, what exactly is it that you need?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »

Not much. Revelation time: I've been delaying over some PM's exchanged with Muon to determine if the sources and numbers I've been using are fairly realistic. (Who better to ask than an actual IL state legislator?) Nevertheless, I want to get this done before I leave on vacation this weekend. So if someone can add the federal stimulus money to the correct categories of regional expenditures (transportation, etc.), then I will finally get around to figuing out the revenue from proposed excise, estate, and other taxes.

Then you'll have a complete proposed budget with what I preliminarily calculate will be a MASSIVE deficit. Then it'll be up to you guys to figure out what to do about it.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2011, 07:27:11 PM »

Not much. Revelation time: I've been delaying over some PM's exchanged with Muon to determine if the sources and numbers I've been using are fairly realistic. (Who better to ask than an actual IL state legislator?) Nevertheless, I want to get this done before I leave on vacation this weekend. So if someone can add the federal stimulus money to the correct categories of regional expenditures (transportation, etc.), then I will finally get around to figuing out the revenue from proposed excise, estate, and other taxes.

Then you'll have a complete proposed budget with what I preliminarily calculate will be a MASSIVE deficit. Then it'll be up to you guys to figure out what to do about it.

Can't we just wait to add the stimulus funds at the end to help make up for the deficit?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: February 18, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »

Can't we just wait to add the stimulus funds at the end to help make up for the deficit?

Tomato, tomahto. Its the same thing whether its done now or at the end. Either way it reduces the defiicit as it shows less regional dollars being spent on such thing as highways etc.

So again, if someone has 10 minutes to do so......
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

I'm a bit concerned about just adding the stimulus dollars into the figures for the general budget.

That means that when the stimulus money runs out, we have to find a new source of revenue and start from scratch on the budget, right? I think it's better to keep it as a separate add on to a baseline spending amount.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2011, 06:50:19 PM »

I'm a bit concerned about just adding the stimulus dollars into the figures for the general budget.

That means that when the stimulus money runs out, we have to find a new source of revenue and start from scratch on the budget, right? I think it's better to keep it as a separate add on to a baseline spending amount.

The other option would be to raise more taxes right now
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »

so here's what what was in the federal stimulus for the mideast region, right?

a. Mideast ($20 billion) 
    1. $10 billion for Health Care, including repair/building of health facilities, child health care deductions, and other various needs.
    2. $1 billion for tax credits on green cars.
    3. $5 billion for rural infrastructure.
    4. $3.9 billion to be put at the direct disposal of the Mideast Regional Government.
    5. $100 million for sexual education classes in the region.

how much is funding for current programs, and how much is for new/temporary programs?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:17 PM »

a. Mideast ($20 billion) 
    1. $10 billion for Health Care, including repair/building of health facilities, child health care deductions, and other various needs.
    4. $3.9 billion to be put at the direct disposal of the Mideast Regional Government.

how much is funding for current programs, and how much is for new/temporary programs?

I was only talking about the 3.9 billion given to our disposal, if that clears things up
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2011, 12:46:53 AM »

a. Mideast ($20 billion) 

I was only talking about the 3.9 billion given to our disposal, if that clears things up

are the rest federal programs? or do we need to budget it?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2011, 03:59:43 PM »

a. Mideast ($20 billion) 

The rest I was just considering to be extra federal programs on top of our budget. Though if we absolitely had to do balance a budget, we could cut a few billion from health care and be saved this first budget
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:23 PM »

a. Mideast ($20 billion) 

The rest I was just considering to be extra federal programs on top of our budget. Though if we absolitely had to do balance a budget, we could cut a few billion from health care and be saved this first budget

yeah I really don't see the sense of budgeting anything except what we actually have control over, and that 3.9 G I would suggest we just set aside directly into the revenue column.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2011, 02:24:54 AM »

Wouldn't it be best to balence the budget, not raise taxes and send some of the stimulus back to the Feds? The better thing to do would be to cut spending.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies