67% to 81% of Ohio "Provisional" Ballots are valid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:36:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  67% to 81% of Ohio "Provisional" Ballots are valid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 67% to 81% of Ohio "Provisional" Ballots are valid  (Read 2212 times)
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:50:41 PM »

Ohio Provisional Ballots Seem Legitimate

By MARK WILLIAMS, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The vast majority of provisional ballots cast in Ohio were legitimate, say election officials who are poring over thousands of presidential election ballots.

The ballots that are being rejected are invalid because people simply were not registered, did not give information such as addresses or signatures, or voted in precincts where they do not live.

"Some people thought because they had changed their mailing address at the post office, or had changed their utilities, that they had done everything necessary to be eligible to vote," said Nancy Moore, deputy director of the Belmont County Board of Elections. "They still have to change their address at the board of elections. We're not mind readers."

President Bush (news - web sites) beat Democrat John Kerry (news - web sites) in Ohio by 136,000 votes in unofficial tallies, and Kerry has conceded not enough outstanding votes exist to sway the election his way in the key battleground state.

Of the 11 counties that have completed checking provisional ballots, 81 percent of the ballots are valid,according to an Associated Press survey Monday. Counties that have completed partial tallies also said most of the provisional ballots were being counted.

Cuyahoga County, where Cleveland is located, has processed 40 percent, or 9,719 votes, of its 24,788 provisional ballots and rejected a third, according to a board tally. Most are being rejected because the voters were not registered.

In many counties, the smallest portion of rejected ballots were due to votes being cast in the wrong precinct. Before the election, Democrats lost a court appeal seeking to allow people to cast provisional ballots in precincts where they do not live.

Election officials said heightened public attention to the court case and the efforts of poll workers helped voters arrive at the right precincts.

Ohio voters cast 155,337 provisional ballots, which are used when voters names are not on the rolls for some reason or their eligibility is otherwise in doubt. Counties have until Dec. 1 to complete their final count. In 2000, about 87 percent of provisional ballots were counted.

Officials are determining voters' eligibility before counting each vote, so the result is not yet known.

In Colorado, the approval rate of provisional ballots was 76 percent, according to a survey of counties by the Denver Post. Nearly 24 percent of the state's estimated 51,000 provisional ballots had been rejected, the newspaper reported Wednesday.

Election officials had not yet compiled the reason for the rejections, the newspaper said. The rejection rate was 12 percent in Colorado in 2002, a non-presidential election year.

President Bush won in Colorado by more than 5 percentage points.
Whacker77

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:36:42 PM »

Does anyone know if Ken Blackwell can deny a recount even though Cobb and Blackwell have raised enough money?
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 02:54:03 PM »

Let them recount.  Ohio has already said the recount can begin in December after the figures were certified.
Whacker77

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 03:00:46 PM »

As I said yesterday, a machine recount is just fine.  I just don't think the spoiled ballots should be included.  They are not valid votes and the race is not in question.  Bush won by more than 130,000 votes.  I have seen several articles saying that the provisional votes are basically breaking exactly as the overall county voted.  I also saw a site from the Ohio SoS which said there were only 135,000 provisional ballots.  It could just an incomplete list though.  I just don't want to see the first two weeks of December marred by kooks demanding non-votes be counted.  Let's move on and get ready for a Supreme Court fight.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 04:09:04 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2004, 04:13:27 PM by The Vorlon »

This may be a silly argument, but if I lived in Ohio, I would want the ballots counted because, well, it might be my vote Smiley

I voted as a US Citizen living abroad in the California race, and I wrote in a Candidate.

I want to see my admittedly utterly irrelevant vote counted simply because my "protest" vote is mine vote to use as I see fit.  The fact that my one vote changes nothing does not diminish the fact it's still my vote Smiley

I can do with it what I will and nobody has a right to invalidate it, ever, for any reason.
elcorazon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 04:21:56 PM »

This may be a silly argument, but if I lived in Ohio, I would want the ballots counted because, well, it might be my vote Smiley

I voted as a US Citizen living abroad in the California race, and I wrote in a Candidate.

I want to see my admittedly utterly irrelevant vote counted simply because my "protest" vote is mine vote to use as I see fit.  The fact that my one vote changes nothing does not diminish the fact it's still my vote Smiley

I can do with it what I will and nobody has a right to invalidate it, ever, for any reason.
I fully agree.  A buddy of mine who is quite centrist wrote in Nader on his Illinois ballot.  He had to do some preelection research to figure out exactly how to write in a vote, and has been working very hard to find out if, in fact his vote did get counted, so far, to no avail.

I'm always for getting the most accurate count possible.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 04:35:10 PM »

Agreed, I have been consistant in supporting that all legal ballots should be counted.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies