US House Redistricting: Indiana (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:16:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Indiana (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Indiana  (Read 27967 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: November 21, 2010, 06:35:37 PM »

I think his main point was about your ripping apart of the Indianapolis metro, which is a really obvious gerrymander.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2010, 01:00:14 PM by Verily »

Here's my map of Indiana. It destroys Donnelly's district and puts him into a district with Stutzman. It also prevents a Baron Hill comeback by combining Bloomington with Indianapolis exurbs instead of the southern edge of the state. Pence and Young switch district numbers (Pence, who lives in Bartholomew County, is now in IN-09, and Young, who lives in Monroe County, is now in IN-06), and IN-03 is an open but very GOP seat. Ellsworth's district is mostly unchanged, so he maybe could mount a comeback, but otherwise I think this is what the Indiana GOP will do.

I'm assuming the white suburbs in Lake County (in IN-04) are mostly marginal or GOP-leaning; the map might need some modification if they are not.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:33 PM »

Young lives in Bloomington, Torie. You've cut him out of his district and given it to Pence.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »

Pretty sure Burton lives on the north side of Marion County, although I agree that the split of Marion is odd (isolates some Republican areas in the south while taking in some marginal-to-Democratic areas on the north side).

About what I expected, though. A little less aggressive in going after Donnelly, but that by that much.

And, Torie, this is about what you should be expecting. Legislatures are generally speaking not willing to rip apart cities and counties willy-nilly, and there are strong pressures other than partisanship that usually prevent them from doing so.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »

Ohio is not extreme. They won't come close to your map. Pennsylvania is pretty extreme but incompetent in their extreme gerrymandering.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:02:04 PM »

Ohio is not extreme. They won't come close to your map. Pennsylvania is pretty extreme but incompetent in their extreme gerrymandering.

Well I am  0 for 1 so far, but Ohio has imperatives that Indiana does not, including a lot of vulnerable incumbent Pubbie butt being on the line.

Pence was bounced from his home as well, in IN-06. I guess he is running for governor. In fact IN-06 looks like a marginal CD now since it has Monroe County in it, with only one and a half heavily GOP suburban Indianapolis counties in it (not enough), before wandering pointlessly to the Ohio River. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

Pence lives in Bartholomew County, which is still in IN-06.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 10:28:37 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2011, 10:30:29 AM by Verily »

Pence was bounced from his home as well, in IN-06. I guess he is running for governor. In fact IN-06 looks like a marginal CD now since it has Monroe County in it, with only one and a half heavily GOP suburban Indianapolis counties in it (not enough), before wandering pointlessly to the Ohio River. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

It picks up some Republican suburbs of Louisville down at the Ohio River.

You both seem to be very confused. Pence's seat, IN-06, is the one in the SE corner of the state. It contains neither Bloomington/Monroe County nor any Louisville suburbs and is overall almost certainly the most Republican district on the map. (It's the only one to contain no counties that voted for Obama.)

IN-09 contains both and is Young's seat--and it has to contain Bloomington because Young lives there (and is still around R+6 or so, maybe winnable for Baron Hill if he runs again but probably not).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies