Irish general election: 25 February 2011
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:30:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish general election: 25 February 2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18
Author Topic: Irish general election: 25 February 2011  (Read 82453 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2011, 02:02:24 AM »

Or are Senators not considered members of the "parliamentary party" in such elections?  (i.e. can they not vote for party leader?)

Seantors cannot vote in FF leadership elections.

Also, would the new Dáil be able to elect a new Ceann Comhairle even if Kirk wants to remain in that position?  Is the "standing down" that Rory O'Hanlon did in 2007 automatic, just that a Ceann Comhairle can be "reelected" to that position right after standing down? 

The first order of business for a new Dáil is the election of the Ceann Comhairle. There is no particular reason why Kirk couldn't be challenged.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2011, 02:09:48 AM »

On the resignation of the Green Ministers yesterday, their portfolios have been re-assigned.

Eamon Ó Cuív will take on Environment and Pat Carey will take on Communications & Energy. Both are now responsible for 3 Departments.

The Government now having but 7 members, is now at the Constitutionally minimum allowed.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2011, 02:45:26 AM »

So, if I understand correctly, Fine Gael, Labour and the Greens all want the finance bill passed by Friday, to be followed by dissolution of the Dáil, but Lenihan doesn't think it can be done. Sinn Féin wants an immediate dissolution, with the finance bill put on hold until after the election. Fine Gael has a motion of no confidence on Tuesday, Labour on Wednesday, and Sinn Féin at some other time. Is there any chance that any of those motions pass?

BTW, in your figures at the bottom, you have the Greens listed on both sides. I'm not sure whether that's intentional or not.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:40 AM »

So, if I understand correctly, Fine Gael, Labour and the Greens all want the finance bill passed by Friday, to be followed by dissolution of the Dáil, but Lenihan doesn't think it can be done. Sinn Féin wants an immediate dissolution, with the finance bill put on hold until after the election. Fine Gael has a motion of no confidence on Tuesday, Labour on Wednesday, and Sinn Féin at some other time.

Your understanding is correct.

Is there any chance that any of those motions pass?

Depends largely on how the discussions go regarding the Finance Bill.

If they go well, the motions will be withdrawn/postponed. If not, yes they could pass, but may not - depends largely on what the Greens decide.

BTW, in your figures at the bottom, you have the Greens listed on both sides. I'm not sure whether that's intentional or not.

Thanks, corrected now.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2011, 02:55:50 AM »

journal.ie this morning have a list of declared supporters for the 4 FF leadership candidates. 

18 Martin
  4 Ó Cuív
  3 Lenihan
  3 Hanafin

43 undeclared

So, Martin well out in front. His supporters reportedly think that it's as good as wrapped up.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2011, 05:08:58 PM »

So, Martin well out in front. His supporters reportedly think that it's as good as wrapped up.

I don't know about Ireland, but these things very rarely are.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2011, 02:17:24 AM »
« Edited: January 25, 2011, 02:18:58 AM by Јas »

The talks on the Finance Bill achieved resolution last night. FF, FG, Labour and the Greens agreed on a timetable such that the bill will pass on Saturday. (SF objected to what they have dubbed the "consensus on cuts".)

The Taoiseach will then dissolve the Dáil, at some point between Saturday and the next scheduled Dáil meeting on Tuesday - at which point if he fails to dissolve, the opposition will renew their motions of no confidence that would bring down the Government.

The expected date of the election remains Cowen's prerogative, but 25 February is deemed most likely.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2011, 02:28:40 AM »

I don't know about Ireland, but these things very rarely are.

journal.ie's numbers this morning:
24 Martin
  5 Lenihan
  4 Ó Cuív
  3 Hanafin

35 undeclared

The Irish Times have Martin on 26, Lenihan on 6 - but without complete lists.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2011, 02:35:34 AM »

For the last two General Elections, RTÉ have organised debates for the leaders of FF and FG.
In the last election, they had a supplementary debate for the leaders of Labour, Greens, PDs and SF.

Details of RTÉ's debate(s) this time are not yet agreed, but it seems interest is spreading exponentially.

It seems TV3, TG4 (Ireland's Irish language terrestrial TV station) and, surprisingly, Sky News are all reported to be seeking debates. The Irish Times reports that TV3 want a debate among the leaders of FF, FG and Labour; while Sky propose one between all 5 parties present in the Dáil.

TG4 could be interesting - I think all the leaders have at least reasonable grasps of Irish - but to debate in irish would be a challenge.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2011, 08:15:55 AM »

Cheesy I would watch that for the entertainment value.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »

A pre-election primer from the Crooked Timber blog.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »

I fear such value would see remarkably rapid decreasing marginal returns as the debate progressed.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2011, 11:34:18 AM »

Breaking News: The Irish Green party withdraw from coaltion
The only part of this thread to have made it into the pages of the Trierischer Volksfreund.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »

I fear such value would see remarkably rapid decreasing marginal returns as the debate progressed.

But... but... lolololol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsBv1ukVp9U
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »

Watching that and then this, I can't help but feel that the bloke in the second video is speaking Irish with an Irish accent.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

There's as much English in that as there is in my Bengali. I'm disappointed.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2011, 11:06:14 AM by Јas »

The Finance Bill, the only legislative matter left for consideration by the 30th Dáil, passed the second stage vote in the house this morning.

There had been considerable speculation about the votes of Government supporting independents Michael Lowry and Jackie Healy-Rae, and the vote of Mattie McGrath, who left FF a few days ago.

Vote result...

ForAgainst
Fianna Fáil70Fine Gael49
Greens  6Labour20
Mary Harney  1Sinn Féin  5
Michael Lowry  1Finian McGrath  1
Jackie Healy-Rae  1Maureen O’Sullivan  1
Joe Behan  1Noel Grealish  1
        Matty McGrath  1

Lowry managed to get a few relatively minor amendments passed that sated him and Healy-Rae.

Mattie McGrath voted against on the initial electronic vote, but a call was made under the standing orders for a full traditional walk-through the lobby vote - on which McGrath abstained.

Anyway, the vote means that it's now very likely that the bill will pass as scheduled, by the end of this week.

Edit (Additional Footnote):
It might be noted that 2 FF TDs were absent for the vote, Dermot Ahern (who was [and for all I know, may still be] in hospital recently; and Noel Treacy.

They were officially paired by FG (Padraic McCormack and Michael Creed). FG withdrew pairing arrangements earlier in this Dáil because, of course, they wanted to bring down the Government. Some might see such a renewed pairing as exemplaring that despite their protests to the contrary, they really do want this Finance Bill to be passed.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »

Micheál Martin has won the FF leadership.
Not sure if the full results will be made available.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »

So the Titanic has a new captain; after it has sunk.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2011, 11:34:37 AM by Јas »

The Irish Times reports the counts in the FF leadership as:

Rd1   Rd2   Rd3
Martin333650
Ó Cuív151822
Lenihan  1418
Hanafin10
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

Any thoughts on whether FF's polling position will improve as a result? Will they at least scrape second place with Martin at the helm, or is Ireland not ready to give them a second chance?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2011, 06:50:27 PM »

Second place? That would be quite the dramatic turnaround.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2011, 09:10:13 PM »

To panicly throw-out your leader a month before the election, only creates a greater feeling of crisis and failure and I doubt it'll save FF in any way. I don't think that there's any Irish voter out there who thinks that FF is just fine all it needed to do was dump Cowen. But then I'm no expert on Irish politics, and FF is a traditionally  and historicly strong party and I guess there's a small chance that some of the old faithfuls will come back around now that Cowen's gone.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2011, 09:24:25 PM »

Well, I don't know, this sort of thing has saved other parties that looked in danger of utter collapse elsewhere. Often it doesn't help much in the long-term (see: Japan's LDP, Canada's PCs), but it does usually cause a short-term boost. Considering the election is only a month or so away, that short-term boost could be all Fianna Fail needs to survive (because I doubt the party itself could survive a third or fourth place finish).
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #149 on: January 27, 2011, 05:59:10 AM »

Any thoughts on whether FF's polling position will improve as a result? Will they at least scrape second place with Martin at the helm, or is Ireland not ready to give them a second chance?

There has not been a poll since Martin's election, but the last poll (conducted on January 22nd) suggested that FF were on 9% (the same as Sinn Fein). For FF to come second in the popular vote would mean a swing from FG to FF of about 11%. Seeing as compared with that last election in 2007, the FF to FG swing is 18.5% that does seem a little unlikely.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies