Irish general election: 25 February 2011 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:44:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish general election: 25 February 2011 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Irish general election: 25 February 2011  (Read 82537 times)
DL
Canada

« on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:17 PM »

One thing has always puzzled me about Irish politics. I'm told that FF and FG are essentially identical ideologically in that they both have no real ideology - though I'm told that FG tends to be a more socially liberal on issues like divorce and gay rights while FF tends to be "catholic" and socially conservative - but I'm told even that is open to debate.

All that being said - why is it that the Labour Party (which does have an ideology is definitely left of centre social democratic) ALWAYS allies itself with Fine Gael and they are considered almost permanent coalition partners - while Labour and FF never seem to be able to work together and I believe that the one time they tried - it quickly fell apart.

Can someone Irish explain why it is that if FF and FG are ideologically identical - the Labour Party will only work with FG and never with FF?  In fact FF has recently preferred to form alliances with the very rightwing Progressive Democrats.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »

Too bad they don't have first past the post in Ireland - if they did I suspect FF would get wiped off the map and end up with zero seats.
DL
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 02:22:38 PM »

What sort of turnout level have you had in recent Irish elections and if the turnout is high or low - which party does it help or hinder?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies