Doctor Who Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:31:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 32373 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »

Moffat did rush his ark. He's been sandwiched in by circumstance; the next series (which may be this August, post Olympics) is the lead on to the 50th anniversary. I liked this series; there are alot of good standout episodes you will enjoy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #151 on: May 27, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

Watched 3 more yesterday.

It's definitely going too fast. This restless rythm doesn't let you the time to mature each concept to its full extent. All the ingredients for good Doctor Who episodes are here, but I didn't have the time to taste them, because there are just too many events, action sequences and useless twists. This constant movement is pretty disturbing and drowns the importance of every detail... I don't want to sound pessimistic, but I'm hoping that this recent tendency doesn't indicate of a long-term trend, otherwise the very soul of the series might suffer from it.

Apart from that, the episodes are nice. The Doctor keeps being awesome, especially in ep 7. But again, it's hard to taste his awesomeness entirely, as we never have the time to rest a bit.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2012, 05:54:49 AM »

BTW, a thought I had.

So Matt Smith is playing the Eleventh Doctor. Time Lords are entitled to 12 regenerations, which means that two more doctors could exist once Smith leaves the show. However, we just saw the Doctor's (actual) death, and he was in his Eleventh incarnation. How the hell are they going to justify the Doctor's next regeneration ? Or do they plan to stop the series when Smith leaves ?

I'm pretty sure they will manage to pull some Deus Ex Machina to make sure the series will last longer than that. They're pretty good at that. Wink After all, the Master was dead too, after "Last of the Time Lords"... Still, was it worth it to make us acknowledge the Doctor's death as some kind of big event, if it's only to later tell us that he's not dead anymore ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:36 AM »

It's Sci-Fi, they can write themselves out of any corner they write themselves into.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »

You'll see in the end, trust me. They did write themselves out of that corner.

Antonio, have you come across The Girl Who Waited yet? That's probably the best episode of the series (well contention between that and Gaiman's The Doctor's Wife)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »

You'll see in the end, trust me. They did write themselves out of that corner.

Antonio, have you come across The Girl Who Waited yet? That's probably the best episode of the series (well contention between that and Gaiman's The Doctor's Wife)

Nope, I last watched A Good Man Goes To War. It will be aired this saturday.

The Doctor's Wife was pretty good, yes. I wouldn't rank it as a contender for best episode ever, but the concept was very original and it was genuinely thrilling all along (also kudos for the absolute creepiness of Amy's psychological torture). It makes us regret that the TARDIS isn't able to speak. Wink

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on depression mode. If the series has been awesome for nearly 50 years, I have a hard time imagining it could stop being right now. I'm just noticing what could be an unfortunate tendency if it proven lasting (but, after all, there are plenty of episodes I found more disappointing than the last three).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »

No episode last Saturday. Sad Stupid Frenchies have postponed the end of the season to September. Angry

Yeah, I know I could watch them subtitled, but meh, I've always hated subtitles...

Gonna rewatch the whole RTD era in the meantime. Tongue

BTW, what do you guys think of Torchwood ? I have never watched it, but I've always liked good ol' Jack, and since this is a spinoff one can expect the "Doctor Who spirit" to be there too. So, is it good stuff ? I might have a look at it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:58 PM »

No episode last Saturday. Sad Stupid Frenchies have postponed the end of the season to September. Angry

Yeah, I know I could watch them subtitled, but meh, I've always hated subtitles...

BTW, what do you guys think of Torchwood ? I have never watched it, but I've always liked good ol' Jack, and since this is a spinoff one can expect the "Doctor Who spirit" to be there too. So, is it good stuff ? I might have a look at it.
It's much darker. I don't find it as fun and imaginative.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2012, 04:08:55 AM »

It's much darker. I don't find it as fun and imaginative.

You mean it's more like a standard SciFi show ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2012, 05:42:30 AM »

No, it's more like.....I don't know....a not very good X-Files?  I found it boring and the characters unlikeable.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2012, 05:49:34 AM »

^Yeah, I didn't make it past two episodes of Torchwood.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2012, 06:52:24 AM »

Ah, I see. Too bad.
ask_not
donavan_ed
Rookie
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:29 AM »

I liked tom baker i like the actress that layed martha the doctors  partner and of course david tenant.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #163 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »

I liked tom baker i like the actress that layed martha the doctors  partner and of course david tenant.

Oh yes, Freema Agyeman is epically hot and Martha was by far the best companion (of the new series, at least).

Tennant was great, but I loved Eccleston too and was sad to see him out so early.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2012, 07:38:24 AM »

Caroline John has died aged 72
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »

Oh no! RIP. Liz wasn't one of the longer-serving companions but I've always thought that such time as the character got was one of the little gems of the series' late-sixties-to-late-seventies heyday.
ask_not
donavan_ed
Rookie
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2012, 01:53:17 PM »

i.d.w. comics did a docor who t.n.g crossover recently.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »

I really regret not watching the early Doctor Who. I have started to look for some episodes of the old series, and had the occasion to watch the very first episode (so... different Shocked but I kind of expected it), Genesis of the Daleks (quite nice and interesting, but still pretty old when watched today) and the 1996 movie (enjoyable, though I found the plot weak and certain scenes a bit weird).
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2012, 04:48:31 AM »

I really regret not watching the early Doctor Who. I have started to look for some episodes of the old series, and had the occasion to watch the very first episode (so... different Shocked but I kind of expected it), Genesis of the Daleks (quite nice and interesting, but still pretty old when watched today) and the 1996 movie (enjoyable, though I found the plot weak and certain scenes a bit weird).

You can get most of the old stories on DVD, although in English only. There's also narrated soundtracks for the stories that are incomplete in the BBC archives.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #169 on: June 26, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »

You can get most of the old stories on DVD, although in English only. There's also narrated soundtracks for the stories that are incomplete in the BBC archives.

I've also found a streaming website, which has several episodes subtitled in French.
ask_not
donavan_ed
Rookie
« Reply #170 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »

I like to se the old episode s oneday.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »

Hi there !

I'm planning to start a survivor* on Doctor Who episodes of the RTD/Eccleston-Tennant era (basically, from Rose to The End of Time). Would you be interested in participating ? We seem to have a quite big fan community on the forum, so if enough of you are interested, it will be fun to play (survivors need at least 6-7 players to work properly, and are much better with around 10). This could also be a nice occasion to discuss the episodes, confront our opinions/feelings on them, and re-experience the most exciting moments of the series. Smiley If you like the idea, please let me know. I need to know if we are enough before starting it. Then, check out the survivor board in a couple days. Wink

*For those who don't know about survivors, they are games certain forumers like to play (they even have their own board). It basically consist in a list of contenders (which can be people, events, or anything), which we eliminate one by one through voting (sometimes with bizarre rules) until only one contender is left. It's usually a fun way to collectively sort a list from "least favorite" to "most favorite".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »

So, nobody...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

I'll play Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2012, 01:54:50 PM »

I'm game too, just link to the game in this thread and I'm sure we'll see it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies