Doctor Who Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:05:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 32397 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 30, 2012, 04:21:26 AM »

aye, a depressing episode.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2012, 10:01:46 AM »

Well that was the most heartbreaking episode of Doctor Who episode. Goodbye Ponds, you will be missed. Sad
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #202 on: December 25, 2012, 11:32:08 AM »

New episode tonight, who's excited? I have to avoid the Doctor Who sites tonight so I don't get spoiled.

On another note I'm working my way through Old Who. It's really good, but not as good as Nu Who. They just delivered the "Planet of the Giants" story DVD yesterday so I'll get to that soon.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #203 on: December 26, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »

Very interesting. "Planet of the Giants" isn't one of the best stories, but wait until you get to the next one.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2012, 07:17:47 AM »

christmas ep...better than last year's, and overally not awful at all really.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #205 on: December 26, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

That's all I really ask for from the 'plot' of a Doctor Who Christmas episode.

MasterJedi is watching the First Doctor? Excellent.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #206 on: December 26, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »

MasterJedi: what are you doing about the missing stories?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: December 26, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »

MasterJedi: what are you doing about the missing stories?

Pisses me off since I won't be able to view all of the series. So far though (I've been buying all the episodes to watch them instead of just breezing through them all online) I've only had to not watch "Marco Polo" and "Reign of Terror" but it looks like later First Doctor and definitly the Second Doctor absolutly get destroyed by that horrible BBC policy. What I've basically been doing is reading the synopsis on Wikipedia/other sites to get all of what happens.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #208 on: December 26, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »

but it looks like later First Doctor and definitly the Second Doctor absolutly get destroyed by that horrible BBC policy. What I've basically been doing is reading the synopsis on Wikipedia/other sites to get all of what happens.

Second Doctor got it really bad - there's only one story of Season 5 intact ("Tomb of the Cybermen") and that was only because it turned up in Hong Kong. It's only the hard work of fans that we have much of what we have. Same policy also has a couple of Third Doctor things only on black & white, although some of that has been restored to colour.

You can actually get the narrated audio soundtracks from Audible and AudioGo for the ones that are missing (and a few that aren't for some reason). That's how I did "The Daleks' Master Plan" of which only three of twelve episodes exist.

Also "Reign of Terror" is getting a DVD release with the missing two episodes animated (I have it on pre-order), but I don't know when it's coming out in R1. I would highly recommend too a box set called "Lost in Time", which has everything from the 'orphaned' stories (bar the two eps that turned up in 2011, although they'll probably be in a re-release).

Check your PMs.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #209 on: December 26, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »

I'm in love with Clara. She looks very promising as a companion.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: December 26, 2012, 07:26:05 PM »

That Christmas Special was amazing! It's up there at the same level as A Christmas Carol. Second half of Series 7 looks amazing too, better then the first half and I still loved it. Still sad to see Amy go Cry but I do really like Clara as well.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2012, 12:02:17 AM »

I don't know, last year I must have bought more into the story 'cause the tear jerker scenes worked on me.  This year I just giggled...."an entire family crying at Christmas".  Though I do like Clara.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2012, 08:30:36 AM »

I haven't seen the Christmas episode yet, which awaits me on the DVR. I hope this one's good, as I really haven't been too impressed by the Christmas episodes.

It's a bit annoying to see the current season split, though the first half was quite enjoyable. The mid-season finale was pretty powerful in its ending. However, it really was a good ending despite its depressing nature. I am ultimately okay to see the companionship end that way. Personally, I can't really get over Donna's departure in Journey's End. That was a horrendously depressing ending. Even though I've only watched the new series (i.e. 9th Doctor and beyond), I think Donna was probably the best companion. I hated that ending, particularly in how she was so undeservedly cheated in the end.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2012, 05:32:23 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2012, 02:44:41 AM by Nathan »

I still haven't forgiven Russell T. Davies for what happened to Donna, which was not only depressing (like every other post-2005 companion with the arguable exception of Martha) but depressing in a way that was completely unjustified from the perspective of character or thematic development (unlike every other post-2005 companion with the arguable exception of Rose).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2012, 07:50:14 PM »

Well, that's misogyny for you.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2012, 02:46:16 AM »

Seriously looking at gender in post-2005 Doctor Who (and a lot of pre-2005, but not all) is, indeed, more often than not an absolute misery.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2012, 06:53:44 AM »

Seriously looking at gender in post-2005 Doctor Who (and a lot of pre-2005, but not all) is, indeed, more often than not an absolute misery.

I think that's a little harsh. Pre-2005 Who was generally awful, with alot of companions essentially being nothing more than 'damsels' who usually need saving after making a mess of something. We've since had a variety of strong male and female characters displaying just about every facet of personality. In this Christmas episode we have a interspecies lesbian relationship and no one bats an eyelid. Looking at British TV on a whole, Doctor Who is probably the most diverse and honest show out there.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »

Mind you, seriously looking at gender in almost any popular television show is more often than not an absolute misery.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2012, 06:16:46 PM »

I think that's a little harsh. Pre-2005 Who was generally awful, with alot of companions essentially being nothing more than 'damsels' who usually need saving after making a mess of something. We've since had a variety of strong male and female characters displaying just about every facet of personality. In this Christmas episode we have a interspecies lesbian relationship and no one bats an eyelid. Looking at British TV on a whole, Doctor Who is probably the most diverse and honest show out there.

Which of course pisses all sorts of people off, asking how 'necessary' it is to have such characters. Wink

Not that I'm complaining, of course, I personally think it's great.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #219 on: January 01, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »

I can only speak for the post-2005 series (which is all I've seen). I actually started watching Series 4 reruns just over two years before I decided to start from the 2005 beginning. Like I said before, I really cannot stand how Donna left the show. To me, it would have been an otherwise great finale to the season. Rose had a pretty rough departure at the end of Series 2. It was still a pretty good ending and her final appearance in the end of Series 4 wrapped things up pretty well for her. Martha leaving as companion was more confusing than anything, but I can't say I have any real complaints there. But yeah, what happened to Donna really was unforgivable. If they absolutely had to write her out, that really was not the way to do it. It's still a painful thing to watch.

I don't know how much misogyny played into any storyline, but I always noticed how terrible Rory was always treated as a companion. Him and Amy leaving was a very emotional and depressing scene, but I do think it was a good and proper ending. I have to say that I wouldn't mind some more River Song overall (who I think would make for a very fascinating companion if it were to ever happen).

Actually, I do have to say one of my biggest complaints aside from Donna leaving has been the lack of connection between pre-Series 5 and everything after (with River Song being a notable exception). Though many of them have been very good (and some quite excellent), most of them seem to have been lacking a certain something that I can't quite figure out. With Rose, you always had her connection to Mickey and Jackie (who was really an enjoyable character) and Donna with her family. Overall, I just find myself more lured to the first four seasons (2005+). The problem is that I can't quite figure out why (and it's not that I have anything against the 11th Doctor at all)...
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #220 on: January 01, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »

It might have something to do with the fact that the entire production staff and main cast changed all at once for the first non-sixteen-year-hiatus-related time in Doctor Who history.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2013, 07:07:14 AM »

That makes a lot more sense then. The change from Series 4 to Series 5 is pretty dramatic, and I can't say that I've liked it. Like I said though, the last couple seasons haven't been bad at all, but I don't think they can compare at all with the first four. In my view, they just haven't hit any of the high points of the previous seasons and have been mostly mediocre at best. If I made a top 20 list of best episodes, I think only The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone would make the list out of Series 5-6 (though maybe one or two episodes from S6). S5 has almost certainly been the low point in the post-2005 series. The first four had their low points as well (albeit fewer and farther between), but their high points were easily some of the best episodes.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2013, 07:20:12 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2013, 07:22:08 AM by Nathan »

See, the thing is I think Russell T. Davies is a mediocre writer in general, and I'm very much of two minds about...pretty much about Doctor Who, as written, as a whole, actually, with some exceptions scattered over the decades. It's very possible to dredge the sixties, seventies, and eighties for gems, it's just a somewhat arcane task at times.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2013, 07:44:31 AM »

I know where you're coming from. But I don't think my opinion comes from the head executive/producer, if you will. Steven Moffat has written many great episodes, but I haven't been in love with the post-S5 series. For me, some of his best have been: The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, Blink, and Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead. Those are some of the best of Doctor Who. He's had good episodes after (especially those with the Weeping Angels), but the show hasn't felt the same to me since pre-S5.

RTD has had many great episodes as well, but I think probably gets a bad wrap simply on account of writing so many. For all their individual faults, he did write the finales for series 1-4. In fact, if it wasn't for the way Donna left the show, the S4 finale would have been my favorite finale. And, though it may have somewhat corny, I've always enjoyed Aliens of London/World War III. I also think Midnight and Turn Left were strong episodes in S4, not to mention underrated The Long Game and Gridlock.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:40 PM »

Say what you will about Moffat Who, but just having Gaiman and strong start-to-end stories lately makes me quite happy. The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited really show that this show has a great future, even when Moffat is gone.

The only problem I have with his Who is that it's rather inconsistent from story to story. I'm fine with the overarching story (I don't understand why people consider it confusing, it's simple really), but there's some issues here and there that I wish were picked up (How was the TARDIS blown up?)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies