Doctor Who Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:46:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Doctor Who Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Doctor Who Thread  (Read 32366 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 23, 2010, 10:12:13 PM »

I quite enjoy Doctor Who, though the current Doctor I'm just not feeling. David Tennant needs to return ASAP.

Agreed, David Tennant suited the role perfectly. I was quite sad when he left.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 04:08:04 PM »

Well, basically what made me skeptical about the early Tennant was his kind of "hey, let's just have fun !" attitude. Of course episodes like The Satan Pit made me fully change my mind, and if we had any doubt about the maturity of the tenth doctor, the Season 3's finale definitely cleared them all. I actually think "angst and moodiness" are also an important part of the doctor's personality : he is and will remain a lonely, tormented and unsure being. Anyways, that did never prevent him from being a master regarding humour (the way the 9th doctor wielded irony and sarcasm was just epic). I think the best doctor should be able to embrace the character's formidable ambiguity.

Given some of the things in the Doctor's past, for him to not be angst-ridden & moody would be quite bizarre. Indeed, that's what I liked so much about the Tenth Doctor, especially later on. He managed to balance angst with the Doctor's typical eccentricity.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 02:55:50 PM »

Well true, but the fans started to scream "WHEN THE HELL IS HE GONNA GET OVER IT" lol.

Well, just try to immagine the USA suddenly disappearing with all its inhabitant except you : I think it would be pretty hard to get over it. Tongue Anyways, fans will always have something to complain about : that's pretty much what they we are for. Grin

Well yeah, but it was his fault....twice.Tongue

His fault, how so ? Huh (did I miss something ? Shocked)

You didn't watch The End Of Time, did you? Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 03:59:12 PM »

I would recommend not watching it, actually. Some astonishingly shoddy writing, unfortunately.

The writing left much to be desired, but it still reveals a great deal about the Doctor's past. I suppose reading a synopsis would suffice.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:35:02 PM »

The writing left much to be desired, but it still reveals a great deal about the Doctor's past.

Only by wrecking the previously established backstory.

There was also those unintentional (?) incest vibes. Did. Not. Want.

I would ask how so, though not everyone in the thread has seen the episode. Tongue

I know, those incest vibes were so creepy. Sad I also thought that the characters displayed an incredible amount of faith in politicians to get stuff done. There were definitely a few moments in there that were unbelieveable, to say the least.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »

I've also gotten around to watching season 5 (or season 31, to be pedantic Tongue) in the meantime, & I must say that I liked Matt Smith a lot. I think I had just gotten too attached to David Tennant since he was the only incarnation of the Doctor who I was familiar with.

Not so much to say about the third episode, partly because I was still traumatized by the second one. I've liked the spatio-temporal location, especially due to Churchill's characters. But honestly, I was a bit fed up of the Daleks. I think the dalek episodes would be percieved better if they weren't much frequent : twice per season (because they will certainly reappear in the season finale or close to it) is too much. Anyways, the plot was interesting, with the idea of Daleks manipulating humans and the doctor itself to win. However, what I can't bear is the fact the scenarists can't find an original way to explain the Dalek's return. Another ship survived from the Time War ! O rly ? Again ? Maybe we will eventually learn  that in fact 99% of the Daleks survived to the Time War (which would lead us to think that the Doctor's true aim was to kill the Time Lords, not the Daleks). As for the rest, fine episode ; the android is lovely.

I must agree that the Daleks appear too often, though having a small cast of Daleks to reappear offers promise (sort of like with the Cult of Skaro). The main problem I see is the tendency for the Daleks to appear with 10,000 or so ships that get completely annihilated at the end of the story, which makes it hard to take them seriously. I thought that this Dalek ship had actually been part of Davros's fleet from Journey's End, though.

As an aside, I just finished watching season 16 (the Key To Time saga). I really liked Tom Baker & Mary Tamm. I also found K-9 to be quite endearing. It's also sort of refreshing to not see the sonic screwdriver being used every five minutes, oftentimes for things that such a device would have no conceivable use for.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »

I do not advise doing what I did & waiting a week between first watching episodes 4 & 5. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:13:01 PM »

As an aside, I just finished watching season 16 (the Key To Time saga). I really liked Tom Baker & Mary Tamm. I also found K-9 to be quite endearing. It's also sort of refreshing to not see the sonic screwdriver being used every five minutes, oftentimes for things that such a device would have no conceivable use for.

Season 16 is a good season, but did you find the ending a bit poor? I know many fans have, including myself.

As for Amy, I like her a lot. She's had her detractors, but she's a great addition to the TARDIS.

I thought the ending was quite rushed. Given that the entire season comprised one long story arc, I expected a full episode for the epilogue, rather than the scant five minutes they gave it.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »

From Silence In The Library/Forest Of The Dead, we see her call the Doctor "sweetie" & learn that she knows his true name. According to him, there is only one time he could have told her his true name. Given that, I'm really not sure what she could be other than his wife.

It's an issue of how the writers of the show operate. They like to allude to plot points long before they expound upon them. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was my second favorite season finale (after Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords). It brought back the Daleks as they normally do, but at least we got to see them take on the Cybermen in an epic showdown. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 01:55:23 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that Army of Ghosts/Doomsday was my second favorite season finale (after Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords). It brought back the Daleks as they normally do, but at least we got to see them take on the Cybermen in an epic showdown. Tongue

I would actually rate The Parting of the Ways as the best new series finale mainly due to the fact that it was well built up and it didn't disappoint (well not as much as it could have).

The Series 3 finale (the Master trilogy) would have been the best had they not ****ed with the ending of Last of the Time Lords.  I mean, seriously?  Psychic energy?  Come on RTD, at least come up with something that's a little more gritty.

However, this is discounting the Series 5 finale which I personally loved, mainly due to it's timey-wimey wackiness.    And that it probably delivered one of the most awesome speeches in the new series so far (The Doctor at Stonehenge yelling at this enemies).  Of course, I don't really see it as a finale as it's not truly the end of the storyline....just a climax to one part of it.

I don't remember the Season 1 finale all that well. I think I will watch it again soon.

Doctor Who season finales are rather notorious for nonsensical cop-out plot devices, so that didn't really bother me too much about the Season 3 finale. One detail that I really liked about the Master three-parter was that the breaks between the episodes felt very natural. The second & third parts did not feel like they were picking up at an arbitrary point in a story in progress, even though they really were.

As for the Season 5 finale, I actually found the wackiness rather offputting, since it struck me as a fairly contrived means of advancing the plot & filling up time that introduced a handful of paradoxes & plot holes that lacked resolution. I thought the climax was the most awesome I had seen in any Doctor Who season finale, though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 04:09:34 PM »

Quite tragic. I only watched School Reunion about a week ago. Cry
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »

Having watched the newer stuff some more, I realized something; I just don't like Moffat. It seems that anything resembling seriousness (or logical continuity) has gone out the window.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies