The best picks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:06:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  The best picks
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The best picks  (Read 2922 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:01:20 PM »

No moderates, but still electable. Who are the biggest Ronald Reagans in each party right now?

Howard Dean is one possibility for the Dems, but I don't know that he could win.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 11:04:45 PM »

For 2008?

Well, Hillary's the obvious choice for the Dems (although her electability is in doubt).

For the Republicans...depends on how conservative you think Bill Owens and Jeb Bush are...

[All due respects, but Santorum isn't electable, by any means]
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 11:15:02 PM »

The best candidates:

Democrats: Bill Richardson, Evan Bayh, Mark Warner

Republians: Tom DeLay! Tom DeLay! Tom DeLay!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 11:01:15 PM »

I have actually seen a man hug a tree.  no kidding.

But I have never actually seen a man thump a bible.  no kidding.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 02:04:02 AM »

Harry Reid for the Dems!

Bill Owens probably for the Reps.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 07:58:06 AM »

I've seen a man do far mor eto a tree.  Seriously.  Don't do drugs, kids.

I have also seen a man thump a bible.  I have, in fact, been thumped by a bible, but that wa sby my girlfriend at the time.
zachman

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 04:24:31 PM »

Democrats: Mark Warner, Russ Feingold
Republicans: Mitt Romney, Norm Coleman
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 05:09:46 PM »

I've seen a man do far mor eto a tree. 

gives new meaning to the term hardwood
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 06:19:11 PM »

What is this Democrat orgasm over Mark Warner?  He's worthless to you.  He couldn't get re-elected in Virginia with his tax hikes, what makes you think he can win a national election?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 06:44:06 PM »

What is this Democrat orgasm over Mark Warner?  He's worthless to you.  He couldn't get re-elected in Virginia with his tax hikes, what makes you think he can win a national election?

I have spoken to people from Virginia, and they seem to like him. I have heard little about this.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 07:08:16 PM »

He cannot be re-elected in Virginia due to their one-term limitation.  His tax hike was necessary since the state had already cut back on other expenditures, including shutting down the DMV a few days out of the week.  He kept the state house in session for them to reach an agreement on expense deductions when both sides were more than happy to let the issue slide.  Turns out, however, the state was fairing a bit better financially than what the government had thought.  With that to the side though, it showed that he was willing to make the tough decision and force the elected body to do their jobs.

That is why he's liked by the left, and some of the right.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 12:34:26 AM »

What are his approval ratings? I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about his ability to win unless they are really in the tank. MODU seems to like him, and think that he's reasonably popular statewide, and he's a conservative leaning Independent. That's certainly not gospel, but all we have to go on for the moment.

You are right that he's only won one election in the state, and thus isn't really ready for national office quite yet. He might be a good VP pick though.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 09:42:25 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2004, 09:46:14 PM by MODU »

You know what . . . I don't think I've ever seen an approval rating for any of the recent Virginia Governors.  I wonder if it's due to the fact that since the Governor only serves one term that approval ratings are not necessary.  If I find one, I'll let you know.

Then again, maybe the Richmond area folks obsess over that kind of thing.  Here in Northern VA, we are more affected by the national scene rather than the state scene that approval ratings just don't make it to our news.  The only time we really get involved with the state government is when they discuss taxes.  Most our tax dollars never get used in Northern VA, and that's a big sore subject for us up here.  We tend to elect state representatives that campaign on fair redistribution of tax dollars, as in, our area deserves more funding on transportation (for example) than the redneck counties in the SouthWest.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2004, 09:51:20 PM »

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD/MGArticle/RTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031778866757

61% on the 1st
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2004, 06:28:17 AM »

I have spoken to people from Virginia, and they seem to like him. I have heard little about this.

Trust me he’d get re-elected in a very convincing fashion, what Frod fails to realise is that it was the Republican’s in the legislature who allowed the tax increase to come in and it effect on education in the state has been warmly received… Arnold’s considering similar measures in CA as I understand it, this is thing that Republicans often don’t appreciate, if you introduce a modest increase in taxation, not a ridiculous hike, but a modest increase you’ll end up with more money for schools and hospitals and people often realise this and support the measure… its not rocket science!

And anyway look at the coverage of Warner over in VA and he approval numbers… he won’t run for President (I don’t think) but he’ll run for the Senate in 2006 or 2008 and he’ll win.           
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies