A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:11:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288190 times)
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: August 10, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »

This is a great timeline. A real pleasure to read.

If its not too much trouble to ask, what's going on in southern africa (I'm thinking Zimbabwe and South Africa, vis a vis their current situation as regards the minority rule issue)?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1076 on: August 10, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2012, 03:35:53 PM by Cathcon »

1984 Mid-Term Election Results

Dark Blue-Republican Hold
Light Blue-Republican Gain
Light Red-Democratic Gain
Dark Red-Democratic Hold

Notable Races
Kansas: Incumbent Senator Bob Doles wins re-election with over 70% of the vote.
Maine: Congressman John R. McKernan Jr. (R) defeats the incumbent Democrat.
Massachusetts: Congressman Paul Tsongas (R) defeats Lieutenant Governor Thomas P. O'Neil III (D) to replace Elliot Richardson (R).
Mississippi: Former Governor William Winter (D) defeats incumbent Senator Thad Cochran (R) in a close race.
Montana: Congressman Max Baucus beats the incumbent Republican to win his state's Senate seat.
Rhode Island: Incumbent Senator John Chaffee (R) wins re-election easily.
Texas: Congressman H. Ross Perot (R) defeats Congressman Phil Gramm (D), to replace Senator John Tower (R).

Other Notable Races
Delaware: Former United States Labor Secretary Joseph R. Biden is elected Governor of Delaware.
Georgia: Congressman Newton Gingrich (R) is defeated for re-election to a sixth term.
Illinois: Dupage County State's Attorney Hillary Ryan is elected to the Illinois 6th for her first term in the House of Representatives.
North Carolina: William J. Bennett, a Democratic professor and former Kennedy administration analyst, is elected Governor of North Carolina.
Texas: Congressman George W. Bush wins re-election to his seat in the Texas 19th.

"Following the end of Percy's final term in the Senate, his name was immediately submitted to the Senate for confirmation as the nation's next Secretary of State, replacing John Eisenhower, whose intentions to retire in January 1985 were known. Percy, one of the greatest supporters of Hatfield's foreign policy during his time in the Senate, as well as Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was a shoo-in for the spot."
-Wikipedia Article on Charles Percy
GLPman
United States

« Reply #1077 on: August 10, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »

Another great update. And I'm thrilled that you could use one of my timelines as a reference Wink keep up the good work!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1078 on: August 11, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »

This is a great timeline. A real pleasure to read.

If its not too much trouble to ask, what's going on in southern africa (I'm thinking Zimbabwe and South Africa, vis a vis their current situation as regards the minority rule issue)?

Thanks. Smiley

I'm not good with current events, so finding an answer will require some research.

Another great update. And I'm thrilled that you could use one of my timelines as a reference Wink keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot. (It's a shame Dole lost, btw)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1079 on: August 12, 2012, 12:38:52 PM »

"Coming into my second term, I was long past due for a cabinet overhaul. A number of cabinet secretaries in lower level departments that had been appointed by Ronald Reagan in 1981 had long been planning on retirement and between diplomatic trips, the yearly budget process, and the election, I had neglected to work on replacing those that were awaiting the appointment of their replacements. The first and largest appointment was introduced on January 3rd, 1985 and confirmed only three days later. That was for Charles Percy to take over for John Eisenhower as Secretary of State. Among the other cabinet shuffles I had to do was the plight of Energy Secretary Jimmy Carter, a Democrat, looking to return to Georgia. Interior Secretary Wally Hickel was moved to fill his seat and took it on January 13th. To fill that spot, Senator Jerry Brown who had endorsed me only last fall as opposed to his party' nominee, gladly stepped in.

To replace Thaddeus Coleman Jr. who had been appointed Ambassador to the United Nations in December due to former President Bush's intention to retire from the post, the new Housing and Urban Development Secretary would be none other than Jack Kemp who had been one of the Republican leaders of urban renewal, welfare reform, and on helping the inner cities through a much more Republican-friendly approach. Meanwhile, to fill the vacancy left by the resignation of Agriculture Secretary Robert D. Ray, Education Secretary Elizabeth Dole was switched to that department, leaving me to fill, in haste, the position of Education Secretary with former Commissioner of Education Terrel Bell of Utah.

On February 3rd, 1985, Secretary of Defense Pete McCloskey made headlines once again when he insulted the Senate Armed Services Committee when they questioned his position on a proposal to cut development of a new intermediate range missile that had been in the works since the mid-seventies. Such things had become common occurrences. Despite my friendship with Pete and our consistent views on foreign policy, recently he had made it hard to work with the Senate, especially Republicans that weren't fully on board with my administration's goals but were caught between me and the Democratic minority. Therefore it seemed that a Secretary of Defense with much better skills at handling the Senate would have to be appointed. The suggestion for a replacement seemed heaven-sent when new Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Chafee strolled into the Oval Office one day to discuss the problem with McCloskey. A week later his name had been submitted to the Senate to replace McCloskey who himself was tired of the job and looking to move back to California anyway.

As February closed, it seemed I had an entirely new cabinet. George Romney at Transportation had been replaced by former Congressman Ed Koch, a New York Democrat. Gerald Ford at HHS ceded responsibility to former Indiana Governor Otis Bowen. And in a strange twist of fate, Romney's wife Lenore, herself a former Senator, had been appointed Labor Secretary."
-Against the Grain, Mark Hatfield, 2000

The Cabinet of President Mark Hatfield, February 1985

Secretary of State: Charles Percy (R-IL)
Secretary of the Treasury: Caspar Weinberger (R-CA)
Secretary of Defense: John Chafee (R-RI)
Attorney General: Robert Taft Jr. (R-OH)
Secretary of the Interior: Edmund G. Brown Jr. (D-CA)
Secretary of Agriculture: Elizabeth Dole (I-KS)
Secretary of Commerce: Pete duPont (R-DE)
Secretary of Labor: Lenore Romney (R-MI)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Otis R. Bowen (R-IN)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Jack Kemp (R-NY)
Secretary of Education: Terrel Bell (R-UT)
Secretary of Transportation: Edward Koch (D-NY)
Secretary of Energy: Walter Hickel (R-AK)

List of Chairmen of the Senate Armed Services Committee
6. John C. Stennis (Democrat-Mississippi) January 3rd, 1969-January 3rd, 1981
7. Barry Goldwater (Republican-Arizona) January 3rd, 1981-July 19th, 1981
8. Elliot Richardson (Republican-Massachusetts) July 19th, 1981-January 3rd, 1985
9. John Chafee (Republican-Rhode Island) January 3rd, 1985-February 12th, 1985
10. Robert S. Dole (Republican-Kansas) February 12th, 1985-?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1080 on: August 14, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »

Please tell me Barry Jr is a senator Wink

Very good, keep it coming Cheesy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1081 on: August 15, 2012, 03:21:04 PM »

"On March 11th, 1985, Mario Cuomo announced that he would not be seeking a third term as Mayor of New York City. Amid a cloud of fiscal insanity and his failure to properly deal with crime and make services more efficient, his announcement came as no surprise and in fact a relief to many in the Liberal party. Rumor had it the City Council President Carol Bellamy was the only nominee with the potential to save the day for the Liberals. Meanwhile, the city's Republican party which had been out of power since it became divorced from the Liberals, finally looked to have a chance at victory. A draft for former U.S. Secretary of State Bill Buckley to run had been in the works for a while. However, the only announced candidate was former Assemblyman John Esposito.

Mayor Cuomo announced he wouldn't run for a third term in March, 1985

Meanwhile, that left me. As a former contender and rival of Cuomo's, it was thought I might jump into the race for the Democratic nomination. The other largest contender was David Dinkins, Manhattan Borrough President and one of the leaders of the city's African-American Democrats. When TIME began to look at the race in April and profiled potential candidates, I was the first article on the list for potential Democrats. However, I had little interest in the race but to watch the end result. In my second term, I had settled into Congress, working on the Transportation and Judiciary Committees.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for entering the race, my office aides seemed to take interest and believed that a run ought to at least be entertained. As I returned to my office following sessions, I would see various pieces of polling information, including statistics on my home district, the five boroughs, my approval ratings, and my name recognition and favorability ratings throughout the city. However, I, only a two-term Representative, had no desire to switch jobs so soon. Finally, I announced on April 23rd that I would not be entering the race for Mayor of New York City."
-The Boy from Brooklyn, Rudolph W. Giuliani

List of Mayors of New York City
102. Robert F. Wagner, Jr. (Democrat) January 1st, 1954-December 31st, 1965
103. John Lindsay (Republican-Liberal, Liberal) January 1st, 1966-January 12th, 1973
ACTING: Sanford D. Garelik (Republican-Liberal) January 12th, 1973-December 31st, 1973
104. Mario Biaggi (Democrat) January 1st, 1974-December 31st, 1977
105. Mario Cuomo (Liberal) January 1st, 1978-Present
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1082 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:10 AM »

.....John Marchi or Ed Koch 85!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1083 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:12 AM »

And yes he is. Congressman 69-77, then when Reagan declined re-election to run for VP in '76, Goldwater Jr. was nominated and won re-election. He's been in the position since.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1084 on: August 16, 2012, 03:21:31 PM »

And yes he is. Congressman 69-77, then when Reagan declined re-election to run for VP in '76, Goldwater Jr. was nominated and won re-election. He's been in the position since.

Yay Wink
Tricky Dickie
Rookie

« Reply #1085 on: August 17, 2012, 02:31:52 PM »

I was reading this before I signed up, and its damn good Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1086 on: August 17, 2012, 08:04:35 PM »

I was reading this before I signed up, and its damn good Wink

Was that before the first time you signed up, or one of your later signings up?
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #1087 on: August 31, 2012, 05:59:30 PM »

Very interesting developments in your timeline! It seems that both the Democrats and Republicans are ging to turn out very different that they are today especially regarding foreign policy. BTW, what are Lyndon Johnson (assuming he never had his fatal heart attack in 1973 in this TL) and Richard Lugar up to? Also, was their still an assassination attempt on Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968?, as you mentioned him in your post about JFK pushing through his Great Society programs shortly before the 1970 midterms and your post about the 1984 Democratic candidates.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1088 on: September 02, 2012, 03:17:14 PM »

Very interesting developments in your timeline! It seems that both the Democrats and Republicans are ging to turn out very different that they are today especially regarding foreign policy. BTW, what are Lyndon Johnson (assuming he never had his fatal heart attack in 1973 in this TL) and Richard Lugar up to? Also, was their still an assassination attempt on Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968?, as you mentioned him in your post about JFK pushing through his Great Society programs shortly before the 1970 midterms and your post about the 1984 Democratic candidates.

Thanks a lot, and yes, interesting developments will be and have been taking place in both parties.

Lyndon B. Johnson: The fabled Democratic Majority Leader stepped down from Senate Democratic Leadership following his party's losses in 1970 and the subsequent reverting of Democrats to the minority. Hubert H. Humphrey would be Senate Minority Leader from 1971 to 1973. Two years later he would retire and be succeeded by friend and protege Defense Secretary John B. Connally. In the last few years of Johnson's status as Majority Leader, he had promoted the pro-Civil Rights agendas of both Presidents Nixon and Kennedy and had worked hard to subdue anti-war Democrats in his caucus. Johnson died in 1979 of a heart attack.

Richard Lugar: As in real life, he was elected Senator from Indiana in 1976.

Martin Luther King Jr.Sad Dr. King is alive and well, though his reputation is now a bit tarnished due to public revelations as to his private life. He was pressured by a number of groups to run for office in Georgia, or even in DC. However, King refused. Currently he is a frequent commentator on political talk shows, a sometimes-professor, and he at times delivers sermons and invocations at baptist services. He suffered a number of assassination attempts when racial tensions were at a high, but as you can see, survived all of them.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1089 on: September 02, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »

May 12th, 1985
US Troops Killed in Libya

In yet another in a series of acts against American troops stationed in Lebanon, five U.S. military personnel were killed in a small firefight with a number of unidentified terrorists two days ago. With acts such as these having been repeated for years, the White House has still remained silent on action in Libya, the only acknowledgement of the situation coming from a State Department release stating "American troops in Libya have not been abandoned" and "We condemn any action against American military personnel or citizens". A reaction to this incident has yet to be seen however. White House Press Secretary Clay Myers refused to give any response to questions about the incident.

Press Secretary Clay Myers

"...And I am calling upon the President to act! America has never settled for disgrace! When we were bombed at Pearl Harbor, did President Roosevelt shrink to the Japanese challenge? When our ally South Vietnam was at war with its communist neighbor, did we let them fall? Did we allow American diplomats in Palestine to be gunned down and assassinated without mercy? Hell no!"
-Senator Jesse Helms (D-NC), in reaction to the deaths of US troops in Libya [May 12th, 1985]

Chapter 24
Libya

"I had been riding high since re-election. The American people had decided to resoundingly support the progress made in the last four years and I was incredibly grateful for that. The Senate had complied with my cabinet changes and I hadn't seen the threat of a filibuster in months. However, all that changed when on May 10th, five American servicemen were killed in Libya.
     America had long been ill at ease with Libya. Since 1969 when Muammer Gadaffi came to power, American relations with the country hadn't been good. Since the late 70's, American troops stationed in the country had been the subject of growing tensions between the government, that Libyan people, and themselves. Numerous small and seemingly insignificant incidents between Libyan government officials, Libyan troops, and our own boys had occurred. However, this was the first direct death of not one but five American soldiers and this had found a way to push itself into the headlines early Sunday morning, May 12th.
    Within a week, another incident had occurred and a number of American troops had been detained by the police for causing "unwanted unrest". On the floor of the Senate, Jesse Helms, who had been grandstanding for the last four years against my policies continued to do so. This time he was calling for full action against the Libyan government. The final straw for many Americans, uneasy with the idea of going to war with Libya, was when on July 4th, a celebration attended by American troops in Libya was bombed, killing thirteen. The time, many in the Senate decided, was for action.
     A coalition of hawkish Republicans and Democrats formed, using shaky evidence that had been leaked by the press and media to justify a police action against Libya. From the Arizona hailed Democratic Senator John McCain, a Vietnam hero who before his time as Senator had been an informal policy and think-tank adviser in Washington. Meanwhile, Ross Perot, a Senate freshman who had served as a businessman and had to extradite a number of employees during the Palestinian War, became the unofficial Republican leader of the coalition. Behind them were much more senior faces including senior Texas Senator James Baker, Bob Dole, Gordon J. Humphrey, and of course Jesse Helms.
     Resisting the call for war was Alaska Senator Dick Randolph. "We shouldn't be seeking yet another war! In fact, what we should be doing is avoiding it at all costs. America is not an empire, and God-willing it will never be. We do not make war with other countries, half-way across the globe in order to secure earth-wide dominance. What we should be doing is instead withdrawing from Libya. What the Libyan government does is not, will not be, and never has been an area of our concern."
     I myself took a more modest tone when, bowing to pressure from the new "warhawks" in the Senate and to the media, I addressed the American public on the issue from the Oval Office. "America has been one of the greatest global forces for good. In World War Two it was we who were the last bastion of freedom against the imperialist and Nazi onslaught. And we have kept this title since. We are the Arsenal of Democracy. However, America's reach cannot always be what some would like it to be. That said, we have sacrificed more than we were ever called to do in the name of Democracy. I don't wish to see any more Americans die in Libya, and as the polls show neither do the American people. That is why we will be sending envoys to meet with Colonel Gadaffi and to settle any dispute that we have with the Libyan government."
-Against the Grain, Mark Hatfield, 2000

"What the President proposes is one of the weakest declarations of American foreign policy since Warren G. Harding called for us to 'return to normalcy'."
-Senator John S. McCain III (D-AZ) on the President's address on Libya [July 12th, 1985]

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1090 on: September 02, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »

Yes!  An update, and a damn good interesting one too!  Just don't tease us though Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1091 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

"Even while Hatfield was at the height of his political power, he knew it couldn't last. The party's conservatives had tolerated him, and hadn't bothered to challenge him due to his popularity and various excuses including "party unity". Even some of his allies on the conservative side, men such as Taft and Paul, were uneasy with his continued playing of patty-cake with the Soviets. Hatfield stood at a strange spot within the party, forming a very fragile alliance between two wings of the party: liberals such as Chafee and Percy, and paleo-conservatives like Buchanan and Taft. However, he knew that in order to cushion himself securely within his party, he'd need to remove certain elements from power. He made the pragmatic realization that the party's northern liberals were in a much greater position of power than the grass roots paleo-conservatives and therefore sought an informal alliance with them based around basic principles of foreign policy diplomacy, fiscal conservatism, and environmental protection. While that in itself was a pragmatic move, it would later come back to haunt him as it left little buffer between the party's anti-communists and himself.

Buchanan, a man far to the right of even most congressional conservatives, was sent off as Ambassador to Ireland in May 1985, removing him from the White House's affairs entirely and in the hopes that Ireland would be a non-controversial country where the chances of Buchanan shooting off his mouth would be little. Meanwhile, Hatfield set his sights on creating a moderate majority that would be much less likely to rebel against any of his second term agenda. This involved the election of long-time liiberal, congressman and leader of the House Republican Caucus John Bayard Anderson to the position of R.N.C. Chairman in January of 1985. As well, Hatfield met with a number of down and out, defeated Republican candidates of 1984. Among these was Newt Gingrich of Georgia. A moderate Republican with a strong environmental record from the conservative state, Gingrich had served as a Congressman from 1975 to 1985, having been defeated in his 1984 bid for re-election. With a Senate race in Georgia in 1986 approaching, Hatfield convinced Gingrich to run against his more conservative colleagues for the Republican Senate nomination. Were another pro-environmental Republican to join the Senate ranks, it would make the conservatives more disposable. Thad Cochran, a former one-term Senator from Mississippi, was another example. While no Senate election was to take place in Mississippi until 1988, he was convinced to run for his old House seat in 1986. Conservative, Cochran was nonetheless moderate by comparison to other members of his state in both parties.

The first chink in Hatfield's armor came in July of 1985. For years, trouble with Libya had been commonplace. However, the bombing of a 4th of July celebration of American troops stationed there by what appeared to be government-backed forces turned it into a top-spot news item. With tensions from the media and from a new group of "warhawks" in the Senate, led by two newer members, Democrat John McCain of Arizona and Republican Ross Perot of Texas (originally elected as a Hatfield ally), Hatfield finally issued a response. It was anti-climactic at best. Stating that the United States would enter into negotiations with the Libyan government to cease the violence, it angered nearly everybody. A comment from Buchanan, leaked from a private conversation overseas, sternly rebuked the President for his weakness on foreign policy. Meanwhile, McCain, a rising star in his party, pressed the President even harder. As well, paleo-conservatives who favored a pulling-out entirely from the region were backing away from the President. The final blow in the public relations fallout came when former President George H.W. Bush, in an official press release from his summer home in Kennebunkport, Maine, called for America to show that it wouldn't be mis-treated by "tin-pot dictators". Igniting a long-quieted feud between Hatfield and Bush, the President replied, in anger, at a press conference "Well, we see where that got America in Palestine, didn't it?" While the issue would eventually disappear from the news cycle and in all eyes be "resolved", the fissures in the Republican party had been opened wide, and would act as a cancer on the remaining years of Hatfield's presidency."
-The Imperial Presidency: The Little-Known Legacy of Mark Hatfield, Lew Rockwell, 2002
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1092 on: September 04, 2012, 08:27:04 PM »

Ambassador Buchanan...thats a new twist Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1093 on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:36 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2013, 04:14:59 PM by Cathdawg »

Supreme Court appointments of the Presidents

Richard Nixon (R-CA) 1961-1965

1962:
Thomas Dewey, replacing Charles Evans Whittaker (Eisenhower).
Elmer. J. Schnackenberg, replacing Felix Fankfurter (F. Roosevelt).

John F. Kennedy (D-MA) 1965-1973

1967:
Arthur Goldberg, replacing Tom Clark (Truman).

1968:
Byron White, replacing Earl Warren (Eisenhower).
Thomas M. Kavanagh, replacing Elmer Schnackenberg (Nixon)

1971:
Richard Rives, replacing Thomas Dewey (Nixon).
Will Wilson, replacing John Harlan (Eisenhower).
Albert V. Bryan Jr., replacing Hugo Black (F. Roosevelt).

George H.W. Bush (R-TX) 1974-1977

William Rehnquist, replacing Thomas M. Kavanagh (J. Kennedy).
John Paul Stevens, replacing William O. Douglas (F. Roosevelt)

Robert F. Kennedy (D-MA) 1977-1981

Robert N.C. Nix Jr., replacing Arthur Goldberg (J. Kennedy)

Ronald Reagan (R-CA) 1981

Sandra Day O'Connor, replacing Will Wilson (J. Kennedy).

Mark Hatfield (R-OR) 1981-Present

William P. Clark, replacing Potter Stewart (Eisenhower).

John Dean, replacing Richard Rives (Kennedy).

Current Supreme Court (1985)
Chief Justice: Byron White (J. Kennedy)
Wiliam J. Brennan Jr. (Eisenhower)
Albert V. Bryan Jr. (J. Kennedy)
William Rehnquist (Bush)
John Paul Stevens (Bush)
Robert N.C. Nix Jr. (R. Kennedy)
Sandra Day O'Connor (Reagan)
William P. Clark (Hatfield)
John Dean (Hatfield)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1094 on: September 05, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »

You never disappoint, Cathcon. I wonder if Democrat John McCain enjoys a relationship with Bob Stump similar to Goldwater's with Paul Fannin.

What are Terry Goddard, Evan Mecham, and Bill Schulz up to ITTL?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1095 on: September 05, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »

Awesome man.  Just wondering, what are George Schultz and Henry Kissinger up to?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1096 on: September 06, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »

You never disappoint, Cathcon. I wonder if Democrat John McCain enjoys a relationship with Bob Stump similar to Goldwater's with Paul Fannin.

Bob Stump: Still a Democrat, though significantly more conservative than McCain on economic issues, plus Stump's been in politics long before McCain's been involved. Still they're both part of the AZ delegation and know each other.

Terry Goddard: Mayor of Phoenix, as in OTL.

Evan Mecham: The Republican candidate for Senate in 1980, won if I'm reading this correctly. Conservative voting record, not an ally of Goldwater however.

Bill Schulz: The Democratic candidate for Seante in 1980. Lost if I'm reading this correctly. Faced McCain in the 1981 primary for the special election to Goldwater's seat.

Awesome man.  Just wondering, what are George Schultz and Henry Kissinger up to?

George Schultz: Secretary of Labor (1961-1965), Secretary of Commerce (1973-1977). Considered a possible Secretary of the Treasury or State for Reagan but was overlooked. Didn't really have a shot at getting an appointment when Hatfield took over. Been Ambassador to Great Britain since 1981.

Henry Kissinger: National Security Adviser (1961-1965), Assistant Secretary of State (1973-1974), National Security Adviser (1974-1977). He's out of the spotlight for now as are most of the "Agnew/Bush Crowd", but he'll be called in as an adviser sometime in the 2000's for a certain president.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1097 on: September 07, 2012, 12:25:46 AM »

Bob Stump: Still a Democrat, though significantly more conservative than McCain on economic issues, plus Stump's been in politics long before McCain's been involved. Still they're both part of the AZ delegation and know each other.

Terry Goddard: Mayor of Phoenix, as in OTL.

Evan Mecham: The Republican candidate for Senate in 1980, won if I'm reading this correctly. Conservative voting record, not an ally of Goldwater however.

Bill Schulz: The Democratic candidate for Seante in 1980. Lost if I'm reading this correctly. Faced McCain in the 1981 primary for the special election to Goldwater's seat.

George Schultz: Secretary of Labor (1961-1965), Secretary of Commerce (1973-1977). Considered a possible Secretary of the Treasury or State for Reagan but was overlooked. Didn't really have a shot at getting an appointment when Hatfield took over. Been Ambassador to Great Britain since 1981.

Henry Kissinger: National Security Adviser (1961-1965), Assistant Secretary of State (1973-1974), National Security Adviser (1974-1977). He's out of the spotlight for now as are most of the "Agnew/Bush Crowd", but he'll be called in as an adviser sometime in the 2000's for a certain president.

Interesting.  I'm also really curious what the space program looks like after 2 years of kennedys
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1098 on: September 13, 2012, 08:14:06 PM »

JR, don't really have an answer to your question except that I plan on bringing up something with the SDI in Hatfield's second term and maybe make some alt-historical references while discussing it.

While bumping this, does anyone have any other questions, or requests for events or candidates? Most is set in stone, but primary fights are up for grabs.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1099 on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »

I have a few "what happened to" questions for you.

What Wilbur Mills has been up too? And please tell me Jerry Garcia is still making music orgasmic Smiley?
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies