A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 07:03:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288809 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »

Nice illustration of the story. This TL has been going on for almost 16 years good job. The other one has gone on for 56.

Thanks. I just hope that this doesnt' become too extended. After all, it's like 26 pages and There've only been foru Presidential elections so far. There are two similar paths I could take in 1980, but aside from that I'm pretty sure where I'm going.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »

Bump. I might try to put up an update tonight.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #377 on: February 13, 2011, 12:32:30 AM »

Would the people that voted "No", "I don't care" and "Hell no!" please step forward?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2011, 11:49:47 AM by Cathcon (Feudalist-Michigan) »

December 9th, 1975
Exploring the Candidates for 1976

The Democrats

Robert F Kennedy of Massachusetts
Massachusetts Governor 1963-1965
United States Attorney General 1965-1973
United States Senator from Massachusetts 1973-Present
the well known brother of former President John F Kennedy, Robert F Kennedy is seen as one of the favorites to win the nomination. He is endorsed by both of his brothers, the other being Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts. However, some candidates may try to find skeletons in the closet from his days as Attorney General, though others have referred to him as "Saint Bobby".

Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota

United Sates Congressman from Minnesota's 4th District 1949-1959
United States Senator from Minnesota 1959-Present
A candidates who has run once before challenging President John F Kennedy in 1968, McCarthy is not favored by the establishment. However, the New Left will support him as well as the New Left's favorite Senators; George McGovern and Mike Gravel. His will be an uphill battle, but he just might make it.

George Wallace of Alabama
Governor of Alabama 1963-1967, 1971-Present
A three time candidate for the Democratic nomination, as well as the Dixiecrat Party's nominee for President in 1968, Wallace has run many times before. However, by now the party has grown tired of him while the Southern portion of the Democratic Party has continually weakened.

Charlton Heston of California
President of the Screen Actors Guild 1965-1971
Governor of California 1971-Present
A moderate Democrat who was a candidate in 1972, Heston would stand a good chance of winning the nomination had Senator Kennedy decided to stay out. In 1972, he won five primaries, and that made him one of the runner up in primaries. However, with a crowded field one wonders if Heston will be able to repeat or een beat that phenomenom.

Frank Church of Idaho
United States Senator from Idaho 1957-Present
A Liberal well known inside Washington circles, Church may act as a spoiler for McCarthy's momentum with the New Left, especially in the West where he is polling very well as of the moment. He, McCarhty, and Kennedy are all known for being major champions of the attempt to impeach President Agnew. However, Agnew resigned and was later pardoned by President Bush before the job could be finished.

Jimmy Carter of Georgia
Governor of Georgia 1971-1975
The most unknown of all the candidates, Carter has the most to gain from the new primary system. He will mainly fight George Wallace for the south, but there's a chance that his outsider image can appeal to a number of voters. However, that too will be contested as Governor Heston is as well an outsider and much more known than mister Carter.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #379 on: February 13, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »

Well, I finally updated.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #380 on: February 13, 2011, 12:57:52 PM »

Really want to see this 1976 and 1980 election.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #381 on: February 13, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »

I'd like to see how a church presidnecy would affect idahoans vote in the future haha... imagine, if in RL, church was elected president. would idaho be a democrat state, or at least,a no-that-republican state? I think so, but I'm endorsing bobby or carter for the presidency (I may decide later, hahaha).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #382 on: February 13, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2011, 03:31:04 PM by Sen. Mark Mattenburgh »

I'd like to see how a church presidnecy would affect idahoans vote in the future haha... imagine, if in RL, church was elected president. would idaho be a democrat state, or at least,a no-that-republican state? I think so, but I'm endorsing bobby or carter for the presidency (I may decide later, hahaha).

Carter or Clinton didn't make their states any more Republican. Bush might have made Texas more republican, but it probably was more of DeLay's doing. I'm sure if it wasn't for DeLay's "South by Southwestern" strategy, Kerry could have gotten into the low 40s and McCain would have had to campaign in Texas, though he would still win. ...but Bush's doing? Nahh... on the other hand, Georgia stayed with Carter in 1980 and voted for Clinton in 1992...and still has half of a functioning Democratic Party.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »

Exploring the Candidates for 1976

The Republicans

George HW Bush of Texas
United States Congressman from Texas' 7th Congressional District 1967-1971
United States Senator from Texas 1971-1973
Vice-President of the United States of America 1973-1974
38th President of the United States of America 1974-Present
Originally born in Massachusetts, George Bush is the son of the late Senator Prescott Bush of Connecticut. He first came to recognition during World War II as a veteran and a war hero. Despite a strong New England background however, Bush decided to move out into the world on his own. He moved to Texas to become a very successful oil man. However, like that of his father's, his eye soon turned toward politics and he was a candidate for United States Senate in 1964, which he lost. However, two years later he once again ran for office, this time winning in a race for the seat for Texas' 7th Congressional District. In 1970, Bush ran for the Senate and beat his old nemesis Senator Yarborough who had defeated him in 1964. despite having been seen as a possible candidate for President in 1972, Bush instead stayed out of the race, endorsing former President Nixon. Nixon however, lost, and the eventual nominee Governor Spiro T Agnew of Maryland, chose Bush to be Vice-President which he gladly accepted. In July of 1973 during a near fatal assassination attempt on President Agnew's life, Bush work to keep the government under control while not appearing to be attempting to usurp power. the leadership skill he displayed there would come into effect a year later when President Agnew was forced to resign due to scandal. Since taking office, Bush has become the first United States President to recognize Red China, and has overseen the American invasion of Palestine following the assassination of diplomat Henry M Jackson.

Meldrim Thomson Jr. of New Hampshire
Governor of New Hampshire 1973-Present
A Conservative Republican known for hsi hate for big government as well as his fiscal Conservatism, Thomson and Bush could have made allies if not for Bush's so called 'Liberal' foreign policy, and his tax raises. Running on a platform akin to those of Goldwater and Reagan before him, Thomson stands an unusual chance of gaining momentum based on the fact that he is Governor of New Hampshire, a key primary state. So far he has received numerous endorsements form several Conservatives and is polling well in pieces of the South and West.

Mark Hatfield of Oregon
Secretary of State of Oregon 1957-1959
Governor of Oregon 1959-1967
United States Senator from Oregon 1967-Present
Obviously the most experienced of candidates in the tight three way race, Hatfield only announced his candidacy on December 9th of 1975 after an announcement by President Bush the he would be sending additional troops to Palestine, and that the current war going on is not expected to end until at least 1977. Running on a 'Libertarian' platform, Hatfield is running against the war, against government military spending, and pro-Civil liberties. While mostly he is to the Left of President Bush, he is to the Right of him on one crucial issue: abortion. And that might be enough to swing some key moderates against or for him in the primaries.

One of the ironies of the Republican Primary race is the geographical positioning of each candidate. Bush comes from Texas, where a Conservative such as former Governor John Tower would be expected. Hatfield comes from the West where, aside from Oregon and Washinton, the rest are very Conservative states. Meanwhile, Thomson comes from the North-East, where both Hatfield and Bush could do very well.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2011, 08:10:24 PM »

I didn't originally intend to have Hatfield in it, but I decided to make it more fun. Grin
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 09:38:14 PM by Cathcon »

March 23rd, 1976

By the end of March, we didn't know where we were standing. George had won four out of seven primaries, however, it was the other three we were worried about. All the time leading up to the primaries, we had been worried about Thomson, until December, when Hatfield entered the race late. Knowing that most early states were hopeless for him, he invested in the Vermont primary and won by a large margin. Meanwhile, in North Carolina, Thomson had pulled out a slim victory thanks to the local party bosses supporting him and a near-endorsement from the Democratic Senator Helms. Despite three losses, George was prepared to press on and so was I.
-What the Man was Made of, James Baker, (c) 1999

I had decided to sit 1976 out and let Gene run. Right away I knew that something was wrong. Kennedy was dominating nearly every poll. His Centrist, yet Liberal attracting platform had pushed Heston out of the race, at least for the moment, and he dominated every Northern primary but one leading up to the end of March. This wasn't the Democratic Party I knew that had been torn apart during the last four years of JFK's reign. This party was solidly unified behind the bastard's brother, who we all knew would continue the Kennedyesque pro-war policies despite his opposition to the 'hasty and ill-prepared launch in Palestine'.
-The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, (c) 1996

Senators Eugene McCarthy and Robert F Kennedy at a debate preceding the New Hampshire Primary
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2011, 08:38:39 AM »

April 27th, 1976

Bobby: Well, we won Pennsylvania alright. However, earlier this month Wallace got Wisconsin. He's still in the race.
Sargent: Well, with Jimmy Carter waiting in Georgia, he should be able to bite into Wallace's campaign in the Deep South.
Bobby: Let's hope so. In May, we shoudl have this wrapped up.

Bush: Well, looks like we're on solid ground now.
Baker: In May, with the sheer amount of primaries, we shoudl be able to totally secure our lead.
Haig: What do we have next?
Baker: the only real trouble spots I can see in May are Georgia, Nebraska, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Montana, and South Dakota. However, we should be able to push Thomson out of the race by then.
Bush: Good. Here's hoping we kick his ass.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »

May 5th, 1976
Heston Drops Out!
After having failed to win the Indiana primary, a primary ignored by most other candidates, California Governor Charlton Heston has announced he is dropping out of the race for President. He has endorsed Senator Robert F Kennedy who he says 'will be our nominee in November'.

Meanwhile, for the Republicans, it appears that Governor Meldrim Thomson Jr. is still in the race as he won the Indiana primary, despite having lost Georgia to Bush by a close margin. President Bush on the other hand has said that he has the nomination locked up and that 'there should be no question as to who will be the Republica nominee'. Where does this leave Hatfield? No-one knows. However, he has said that he is still in the race and that he will make his impact known. That leaves several Western and North-Eastern states in question as Hatfield has been laying groundwork there for months.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »

May 19th, 1976
Kennedy Continues Success! Bush Still Leading!

For the Democrats, the only candidates to seem to have had any success are Senator Kennedy and Governor Wallace. Senator Kennedy yesterday won the Michigan Primary while Governor Wallace won the Maryland Primary. Despite Wallace sharing one half of victories today, he is nowhere near victory as Kennedy is continuing to gain victories. The only place that seems to be troubling for Mr. Kennedy is the West which is polling very well for Senator Church despite the Senator's lack of success.

Meanwhile, on the Republican side, President Bush yesterday won the Michigan and Maryland primaries, continuing his own strong lead. One must wonder; why is Hatfield still in the race? He's had nearly no success since Vermont except scoring second place in Massachusetts, Illinois, and Wisconsin. When people asked him, he said 'The anti-war wing of the party needs a true representative, and my campaign will continued to run until the season is over to make sure that happens.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:12 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2011, 11:58:46 AM by Cathcon (Feudalist-Michigan) »

Yes, the primary season was long and arduous. However, george overcame both challengers in the primaries. At the end, when looking over everything, we were damn glad that Reagan hadn't run. His charisma along with his name recognition could have destroyed us, especially with Hatfield drwing votes in Western areas and the North-East.

The nomination was easily wrapped up despite multiple opponents. Wallace had the potential to launch a large challenge against my campaign. However, with Jimmy Carter in the South taking away some precious votes, I was able to pick up West Virginia, and Wallace was denied both Arkansas and Georgia to boot. When I sit and think about everything that's happened since then, I wish that I hadn't been as successful, seeing where it got me. If only.
-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy, (c) 1984
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #390 on: February 20, 2011, 04:03:51 PM »

I honestly got really tired of posting all the primary maps. I decided to finish it in one post (above).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2011, 09:40:09 AM »

From the end of the primaries onward, George and I both knew he'd be facing a much greater challenge in the general election. One of my best decisions during the campaign was to assign a young man named Karl Rove, who had been President of the United College Republicans before resigning to work for the campaign, to do opposition research. He did his job very effectively, finding some very strange evidence about Senator Robert F Kennedy. Of course, we never used some of that, and most of the things that Kennedy had done were revealed after 1976.

It was only after his primary loss that Thomson announced a third party bid. He hadn't even waited for Bush to pick a Vice-President, which he had promised to do as Ford had no desire to stay on as Vice-President. with the conservative Congressman Phil Crane as his running mate, Thomson posed a threat to Bush.
-The Conservative Party; A History 1964-2000, high school essay by Christopher Clark, 2009

Near the end, I wasn't sure we'd win it. Bush had somehow reversed sinking poll numbers. Despite that, when election day came, I was ready to accept my coronation.
-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 21, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »

Oh great. I jus tnoticed that the primary maps aren't complete. They don't have the last two days that include California and Ohio.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #393 on: February 21, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »

don't mind cathcon =)

very interesting primaries, expected, but still interesting =)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #394 on: February 21, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »

Well, it's fixed.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #395 on: February 21, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2011, 08:37:00 PM by Cathcon (Feudalist-Michigan) »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #396 on: February 23, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2011, 09:23:30 AM by Cathcon »

July 12th, 1976
In the backrooms of the convention center in New York City, Liberals, a very strong faction of the Democratic Party, argue about the future.
    Gravel: No! I will not endorse the bastard Kennedy with his so-called "Invest and Grow" crap and his domestic fascism! On economics he's basically a regurgitated Goldwater.
    McCarthy: Look, fact is we failed. He's a hell of a lot better than the war-mongering Bush and he's the best chance we have to reclaim the Whitehouse. He has the delegates needed.
    Church: I ran the best campaign I could and now I'm going out there to endorse him no matter what fascism you speak of.
    Gravel: I'm talking about abortion. He denies that a woman has the right to choose and he wants that on the platform.
    McGovern: Look, that's a very big issue and I myself am conflicted on the issue.
    McCarthy: As am I.
    Gravel: Well, I seem to be surrounded by traitors.
    Mondale: If that's what you consider us. I agree with most of your positions, but I'll have the guts to go out there tonight and endorse Kennedy.

It seemed from my perspective that the New Left had lost its spine and that they were just as Conservative as the Kennedy-ites. By 1980 I had become fully fed up with the Democrats and was ready to go out on my own.
-The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, (c) 1996

Meanwhile, in a different section of the convention center, Senator Robert F Kennedy of Massachusetts meets with his brothers, his brother-in-law Sargent Shriver, and Congressman Tip O'Neil.
    Jack: You haven't decided a Vice-President yet? Bobby, are you serious?
    Bobby: Yes, I am serious. I've narrowed it down to Frank Church, Adlai E Stevenson III, or George McGovern.
    Sargent: Looking at the West, I'd say that McGovern could more easily overturn South Dakota than Frank Church could Idaho. Besides, with Ford off the Republican ticket, we have no worries in Illinois.
    Tip: I'd say you go with Stevenson. He most agrees with you on the issues. McGovern will just scare off votes.
    Bobby: So...Church is off then?
    Ted: Bobby! You're picking the man to be your successor, and should something ever happen, to take over after you! This is big! I can't believe you waited until now to make a decision.
    Bobby: Okay, fine! we won't pick up Alabama anyway, so I have to worry about the New Left. McGovern it is then.
    Jack: Bobby, are you sure about this?
    Bobby: Look, I know you want me to pick Connally, and he's my friend too. However, we're not going to carry Texas anyway, and we were both in your administration. One cabinet member is enough.
    Ted: I'm going out to get another drink...
    Jack: Bobby, I'm just asking you, is this the man you want to succeed dare say something happen to you?
    Bobby: Well we could always pick Charlton. He, after all, endorsed me.
    Jack: Now we're back where we started! You have to pick someone, Bobby! Are you going to pick someone?
    Bobby: McGovern. That's it. I've made my decision. I might not like it, but it's made.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #397 on: February 24, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 06:10:33 PM by Cathcon »

August 20th, 1976
Bush/Reagan vs. Kennedy/McGovern!
Yesterday at the Republican National Convention, the Republican Party was filled with a sense of hope and optimism after President Bush announced that his Vice-Presidential pick would be none other than Senator Ronald Reagan of California. The Senator, who is seen as a defender of Conservative values and as qualified for the job, was met with thunderous applause by the convention. No word has been heard from the Conservative campaign of Governor Meldrim Thomson Jr.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #398 on: February 25, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »

September 1st, 1976
Thomson Drops Out!
Yesterday, before a group of supporters, Conservative candidate Meldrim Thomson Jr. who had previously decided to run on the American Conservative Party ticket, dropped out of the race citing a lack of funding, a grinding halt in the polls, and the fact that President Bush chose Senator Reagan as his running mate. In his closing statements, the Governor said "With Senator Reagan at the helm, you can rely on the Republicans to once again be the ticket for Conservatism". With that, he left the stage.

Who do you support for President?
Kennedy/McGovern-46%
Bush/Reagan-43%
Undecided/other-11%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #399 on: February 25, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »

There's been a small mix-up: Donald Rumsfeld stays in the House of Representatives (this will be important later), so that means Phil Crane isn't a Congressman. I made Crane be Thomson's running mate in his short lived campaign, so maybe Crane will have a different job.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies