A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:56:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288811 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: February 26, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »

I'm thinking of cutting right to the results. Any opinions?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #401 on: February 26, 2011, 01:07:47 PM »

I'm thinking of cutting right to the results. Any opinions?
Do it in an election night format?

I did 1972 in the format, and it took a lot out of me and a lot of writing. You can find it around the late teens or early twenties. I'm more interested in getting past this election.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #402 on: February 26, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »

election night format would be interesting... but, anyways the election will be very intersting. a close race between kennedy and reagan ^^. two charismatic man fighting for the presidency... continue, please!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #403 on: February 26, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »

I can't seem to find 1976 election night coverage to base 1976 on. In 1972 I almost completely copied the first couple paragraphs. If you go back to it, I provide a link to it and you can see what I changed and what stayed the same. Does anyone have a link to 1976 coverage?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #404 on: February 26, 2011, 07:59:55 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 09:58:03 PM by Cathcon »

The entire reason of this current economic slump is that, basically put, the Republicans have failed. By subscribing to the idea of concentrating on deficit control or foreign wars, they have failed to actually focus their policy on actual Americans. They tend to forget that this government by the people, of the people, and for the people and instead think of it as the government of corporate interests and the government of the Republican Party. Their continued cuts in domestic spending combined with middle class tax raises will only further stall the economy and further stall America!
-Senator Robert F Kennedy on the campaign trail

What the dear Senator fails to understand is inflation, which has posed the greatest economic threat to propserity these last four years. What causes inflation is deficits, and in order to beat inflation, you have to beat the deficit and that is what we've been working on since 1974.
-President George Bush in response to previous comments by Senator Kenedy

Senator Kennedy is always so fond of criticizing the administration on the war in Palestine. He often forgets that we in America are the watchmen on the gates of the world's freedom. It is not only our responsibility, but in our best interests and morally right to bring peace to the unstable region called the Middle East. Should we show weakness here, God knows what would happen further down the road. It would set a horrible precedent that would translate into relations with the Soviet Union and give them the upper hand in further negotiations. Looking back on President Kennedy, a man who my esteemed colleauge claims to continue the legacy of, it was he who decided to push forward in Vietnam and win the horrible war and we are better off because of it.
-Seantor Ronald Reagan defending the President's actions in Palestine.

It is high time this bloody and unnecessary war end, I say! Yes, the late Henry M Jackson was a great man, but we should have never gone to war and risked the lives of even more men in the fight for freedom! Have we forgotten alternatives? Negotiations? Convictions before the United Nations? Apparently, Bush and Reagan have as they continually and mindlessly support the messiest and most bloody option to every problem that we seem to face!
-Senator George McGovern railing against the war in Palestine

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #405 on: February 26, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »

November 2nd, 1976
Election Night!
With Senator Kennedy narrowly leading President Bush in the polls, the nation heads into election night with polls predicting a narrow Kennedy win. Up until a few weeks ago the Senator was leading by ten points. However, because of a Republican surge of campaigning, mostly done by Vice-Presidential nominee Senator Ronald Reagan, President Bush imporved in the polls up to today. Going in, we still do not know who is going to win, but America will be watching as it chooses who its President will be these next four years.

The Bush campaign headquarters released its final statement today to all Americans urging them to vote and to continue to 'stay the path' and to continue the two years of 'success' in Palestine.

President Bush with his campaign manager, Senator James Baker (R-TX), the President's own successor in the Senate

From the Kennedy headquarters however, the statement was much more positive saying that America should 'keep hope for the future' and to 'vote for the party of the people', implying that the Democrats are the party with the best interests of average Americans at heart.

Former President John F Kennedy talks with former DCI and Kennedy for President campaign manager Sargent Shriver-the President's own brother-in-law
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #406 on: February 27, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »

7:15
...And we are able to make a couple more calls for tonight. These calls will put Senator Kennedy at 24 electoral votes and put President Bush at 20. We are calling Connecticut for the President as well as West Virginia for Seantor Kennedy. Let's look at the map.

Looking at all the states so far, there are few surprises as Rhode Island is seen as Seantor Kennedy's 'backyard' of sorts and Connecticut is the state where our own President was raised. His father, the late Postmaster General Prescott Bush was a Senator from there from 1952 to 1961. As for South Carolina, this state used to be heavily Democratic until 1964 when Dixiecrat Party nominee Strom Thurmon took it. In 1968 George Wallace did the same. Since last election, there has been an increasingly Republican trend in the state despite Senator Strom Thurmond remaining a Democrat.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #407 on: February 27, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »

7:25
At the Bush for President campaign headquarters in Houston, Texas, members of the President's campaign watch the televised results intently. In more secluded areas, President Bush sits with his friends and political allies. They include Treasury Secretary John Tower, Congressman Donald Rumsfeld, Senator James Baker who is also Bush's campaign manager, Senator Ronald Reagan who is Bush's running mate, Vice-President Gerald Ford, and others.
    Ron: So far, you seem to be doing well. What I'd worry about is Ohio and Virginia at this point.
    George: Yeah. Also, we spent some money down in Delaware and New Jersey, hoping that the moderates could come out to vote. We have the potential to take all four of those states that are up for grabs.
    Jim: Looking at it, we can definitely counto on Vermont and Maine. We're counting on the West and the South to pull this out for us.
    Rummy: I campaigned all I could in Illinois. However, it's a Kennedy we're talking about and Daley sure as Hell is going to make sure the Chicago feeds it to him.
    John: Well, heh, at least you don't have to worry about Texas. That went for Kennedy three times.
    Ron: Also, we've got California in our column. That went for Kennedy in '68. There are definite improvements that we're looking at from eight years ago the last time we faced a Kennedy.
    George: How about Oregon?
    Ron: Eh...We were leading by one point yesterday. But, it's Kennedy, not some Southern Governor like Carter, and he's got the New Left on his side.
    Jim: Our entire campaign infrastructure has been weakened in Oregon since Hatfield announced his challenge last December. Now, the Republicans there aren't sure who they're going to vote for.
    George: **Sigh** For all we know that could be the election right there.
    Jerry: I'm glad that we're doing so well against Bobby. He's got more charisma and more support among minorities than Jack did eight years ago against Romney.
    Rummy: Shhh! More results are coming in!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #408 on: February 27, 2011, 01:10:27 PM »

We are now receiving some more projections. Some in the East are surprising as President Bush has taken Delaware and New Jersey by close margins. However, others are not as Senator Kennedy has taken New York by over 50%. In the East, the only state with its polls not yet closed is Pennsylvania, and that is reportedly because of trouble with voting machines. These results put the Senator almost forty electoral votes above President Bush. However, that is expected to narrow as the South and the West come into play.

Maryland right now is one of the states that is too close to call. Only four years ago the Republican nominee was the Governor of this State. However, the state is generally Liberal with Southern Democratic leanings. Right now it's a good sign for Republicans that it's as close as it is, but we shall see.

On a side note, former President Agnew is reportedly watching the election from his home in Maryland. When asked, he said the he supports his successor "100%". Former President John F Kennedy meanwhile is at the Kennedy for President campaign headquarters with his brothers Bobby and Ted. Former President Nixon was, according to sources, invited to the Re-elect the President headquarters in Houston, but declined. He has been a close ally of both Agnew and Bush these last four years.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #409 on: February 27, 2011, 01:15:48 PM »

At the Bush for President campaign headquarters in Houston, Texas, members of the President's campaign watch the televised results intently. In more secluded areas, President Bush sits with his friends and political allies. They include Treasury Secretary John Tower, Congressman Donald Rumsfeld, Senator James Baker who is also Bush's campaign manager, Senator Ronald Reagan who is Bush's running mate, Vice-President Gerald Ford, and others.
    Ron: So far, you seem to be doing well. What I'd worry about is Ohio and Virginia at this point.
    George: Yeah. Also, we spent some money down in Delaware and New Jersey, hoping that the moderates could come out to vote. We have the potential to take all four of those states that are up for grabs.
    Jim: Looking at it, we can definitely counto on Vermont and Maine. We're counting on the West and the South to pull this out for us.
    Rummy: I campaigned all I could in Illinois. However, it's a Kennedy we're talking about and Daley sure as Hell is going to make sure the Chicago feeds it to him.
    John: Well, heh, at least you don't have to worry about Texas. That went for Kennedy three times.
    Ron: Also, we've got California in our column. That went for Kennedy in '68. There are definite improvements that we're looking at from eight years ago the last time we faced a Kennedy.
    George: How about Oregon?
    Ron: Eh...We were leading by one point yesterday. But, it's Kennedy, not some Southern Governor like Carter, and he's got the New Left on his side.
    Jim: Our entire campaign infrastructure has been weakened in Oregon since Hatfield announced his challenge last December. Now, the Republicans there aren't sure who they're going to vote for.
    George: **Sigh** For all we know that could be the election right there.
    Jerry: I'm glad that we're doing so well against Bobby. He's got more charisma and more support among minorities than Jack did eight years ago against Romney.
    Rummy: Shhh! More results are coming in!

This is awsome xD I'd like to read more "election night conversations". It seems like Bush was right about DE and NJ...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #410 on: February 27, 2011, 02:32:44 PM »

This is awsome xD I'd like to read more "election night conversations".

Sure. They'll come after the next map.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #411 on: February 27, 2011, 02:33:14 PM »

7:37
...And at last we are able to call Maryland and Virginia as well as bring you the results from over the Mississippi. With Bush showing more and more strenght in the South, which for the first time since 1956 is appearing to go only for two candidates, he has continued to keep pace with Kennedy. However, with Kennedy's lead, will the President be able to recover? Experts see the election getting much close as we move on. Here's the map.

As of right now, the states that people are holding their breath on are Wisconsin and Illinois. While the President has been polling well in both states, we've already seen Michigan go to the Democrats as well as Minnesota. That, combined with Wisconsin's Liberal lean and Kennedy's strength in upstate Illinois have led us here to believe they will go Democratic. However, as of now, they are too close to call.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #412 on: February 27, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »

7:37 PM
Boston, Massachusetts

In the Kennedy for President campaign headquarters, Senator Robert F Kennedy sits with his closest friends and allies on the campaign trail. They include Senator Ted Kennedy his brother and colleague, former President John F Kennedy, former DCI and campaign manager Sargent Shriver, Senator George McGovern who is Kennedy's running mate, Congressman Tip O'Neil of Massachusetts, and former Vice-President Terry Sanford.
    Terry: (looks at screen, then towards Bobby) Well, Bobby, I might as well congratulate you for doing what I could not.
    Bobby: Calm down, Terry. We haven't seen the rest of the results yet. The West and the South are still dicey.
    Jack: Well, Bobby (puts his right arm over Bobby's left shoulder) let's hoped that success runs in the family and you do what I could not. Win on the first time.
    Ted: Mm hm. (drinks alcohol from glass)
    Sargent: We've been trying to concentrate on the West. South Dakota, Oregon, and Washington are all states that are vulnerable. The campaign successes of 1964 and 68 were different from now. Then, we were trying to bank on disaffected Conservatives and that's how we did well in the West. This time around we're banking on moderates not being as attracted to the Republicans as in the past while at the same time energizing the New Left.
    Terry: Also, there are now pieces of the South open that weren't previously open.
    Sargent: That's right, and I think we could possible take Georgia in this scenario.
    George: As long as South Dakota, Oregon, and Washington go Democratic, I think I did my job.
    Bobby: That'd be correct.
    Ted: Some of that crap that the Bush campaign was tryin' to pull in the last few days! That was kind of funny! Saying that you tried to take down political enemies and all that with buggings 'n' sh**t! They musta had you confused with someone else.
    Bobby: ...
    Ted: Well, I'm gonna go 'n' get another drink. I'll be back though. (gets up and walks towards door leading out into main area) Sayin' you were connected to Joe McCarthy! Heh! (walks out)
    Bobby: (in whisper) I always retained a fondness for ol' Joe... (regular voice) By the way, Terry, would you be interested in a position should, hypothetically, I be victorious?
    Terry: Sure! I've been unemployed the last four years, but I guess I still have some qualifications.
    Bobby: How about Education? You'd be qualified for that.
    Terry: I guess I could take that job. After all, I should be used to working with a Kennedy. (turns to Jack)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #413 on: February 27, 2011, 04:59:45 PM »

7:45
Houston, Texas

At the Re-elect the President campaign headquarters in Houston, George W Bush, son of the President, leans on an empty table while being talked to by campaign staffer Karl Rove.
    Dubya: (takes a swig of beer) Now, tell me Karl. How can Poppy win this?
    Karl: Well, Dubya, when you look at it, the best hope that we have is a united South and a united West. This election could go anyway and be won by either ocntender with a combination of different states at this point. One state that both campaigns are focusing on is Oregon. Another is Illinois and a third is South Dakota. Anyone of these could be one of the states that gives the winner just enough votes.
    Dubya: That's might interstin' Karl. Ya think he's gonna win?
    Karl: Well George, I really couldn't say-
    Dubya: C'mon Karl! Take a stab in th' dark! (swig)
    Karl: If I had to say, my guess would be that later tonight, Senator Robert F Kennedy becomes the President-elect.
    Dubya: Sheeet, Karl! Damn...Well, if there can be multiple Kennedys, why can't there be multiple members of my family? (winks at Rove)
    Karl: Heh... (looks over at a television screen) Look, there are more results coming in now!

We can now project that in the incredibly close state of Illinois, Senator Kennedy will win because of surprising strength upstate. This strength has been a continued trait among the Kennedy, such as in 1960, 1964, and 1968 when John F Kennedy won in the state because of that same strength upstate in the Chicago area. Because of that, the Senator is the first to top 200 in electoral vote count. However, California, which is the last "big state" on the map, is, according to polls, going to be going Republican by a wide margin, especially with Senator Reagan on the Republican ticket.

Dubya: sh**t! If it weren't for that bastard Daley up there, we woulda had that state!
    Karl: I hope and pray that I'm not right, but I don't think that'll be enough.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #414 on: February 27, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »

7:37 PM
Boston, Massachusetts

In the Kennedy for President campaign headquarters, Senator Robert F Kennedy sits with his closest friends and allies on the campaign trail. They include Senator Ted Kennedy his brother and colleague, former President John F Kennedy, former DCI and campaign manager Sargent Shriver, Senator George McGovern who is Kennedy's running mate, Congressman Tip O'Neil of Massachusetts, and former Vice-President Terry Sanford.
    Terry: (looks at screen, then towards Bobby) Well, Bobby, I might as well congratulate you for doing what I could not.
    Bobby: Calm down, Terry. We haven't seen the rest of the results yet. The West and the South are still dicey.
    Jack: Well, Bobby (puts his right arm over Bobby's left shoulder) let's hoped that success runs in the family and you do what I could not. Win on the first time.
    Ted: Mm hm. (drinks alcohol from glass)
    Sargent: We've been trying to concentrate on the West. South Dakota, Oregon, and Washington are all states that are vulnerable. The campaign successes of 1964 and 68 were different from now. Then, we were trying to bank on disaffected Conservatives and that's how we did well in the West. This time around we're banking on moderates not being as attracted to the Republicans as in the past while at the same time energizing the New Left.
    Terry: Also, there are now pieces of the South open that weren't previously open.
    Sargent: That's right, and I think we could possible take Georgia in this scenario.
    George: As long as South Dakota, Oregon, and Washington go Democratic, I think I did my job.
    Bobby: That'd be correct.
    Ted: Some of that crap that the Bush campaign was tryin' to pull in the last few days! That was kind of funny! Saying that you tried to take down political enemies and all that with buggings 'n' sh**t! They musta had you confused with someone else.
    Bobby: ...
    Ted: Well, I'm gonna go 'n' get another drink. I'll be back though. (gets up and walks towards door leading out into main area) Sayin' you were connected to Joe McCarthy! Heh! (walks out)
    Bobby: (in whisper) I always retained a fondness for ol' Joe... (regular voice) By the way, Terry, would you be interested in a position should, hypothetically, I be victorious?
    Terry: Sure! I've been unemployed the last four years, but I guess I still have some qualifications.
    Bobby: How about Education? You'd be qualified for that.
    Terry: I guess I could take that job. After all, I should be used to working with a Kennedy. (turns to Jack)

I love Ted Kennedy haha... Democrats are way funnier than republicans, at least in this TL ^^!!
I hope Bobby wins!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #415 on: February 27, 2011, 05:11:30 PM »

I love Ted Kennedy haha... Democrats are way funnier than republicans, at least in this TL ^^!!
I hope Bobby wins!

C'mon, Dubya's got to be somewhat entertaining!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #416 on: February 27, 2011, 05:57:19 PM »

He is...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #417 on: February 27, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »

Questions, Comments, preferred candidates?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #418 on: February 27, 2011, 06:42:37 PM »

Nope...really wanna see where this goes.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #419 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »

Please continue...tonight if you can...

I'm afraid I won't be able to because where I am it's 9:08 at night, and I have school tomorrow, etc.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #420 on: February 28, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »

will you update today???
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #421 on: February 28, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »

I may, but I doubt it. I've got homework, etc. Tomorrow's the last basketball fame of the season for me, and Thrusday's a concert that I have to perform in, so yeah, this week's hell.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: March 02, 2011, 10:25:32 AM »

update soon?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #423 on: March 02, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »

Maybe tonight, if not, then Friday or Saturday. Thursday'll be hell.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #424 on: March 04, 2011, 07:48:54 PM »

8:15

...[A]nd we can finally project who will win in the incredibly close state of Georgia, and that is Senator Kennedy by less than 3,000 votes. It was an upset, however, may people see it as mostly due to the campaigning of former Georgia Governor and Democratic Primary candidate Jimmy Carter who has campaign vigorously for Kennedy throughout the South despite having been skipped for the Vice-Presidential nomination. Also, one must note that former Vice-President Terry Sanford has as well campaign throughout moderate Southern States such as Tennessee, North Carolina, and Kentucky.

Jim: Dammit! I knew some moderate Southern States would be up for grabs! We shouldn't've let Tennessee and Georgia get away like that!
    George: Calm down, Jim. We've got California on our side.
    Jim: California be damned, Kennedy's at 261! If he can take just two more states he has the damn Presidency!
    George: (takes off glasses, begins whiping them with glass)
    Jim: Don't you see? You, who only ten years ago were elected to national office, will have your political career ended only ten years later, today! There's something we should've been able to do, but it's too late for that!
    George: **Sigh** Jim, we're not going to conceded until Bobby gets 270. And, if he does which you concede is most likely, what we worked for will not die. There are other elections and there are others. If I lose I won't fade into retirement like Nixon. I'll still be there no matter who wins in 1980. Heck, Jim. There could even be a shot at a comeback. Jack did it, and Nixon had the possibility of successfully pulling off his own. This is not over.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies