A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:04:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 289722 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: April 05, 2011, 07:26:57 PM »

October 29th, 1977

Gas Prices Expected to Rise Sharply!

With the ongoing conflict in Palestine and pressure from Arab nations for the United States to leave Palestine, it should come as no surprise that gas prices, which have already been rising, are expected to go even higher in the coming year. Even by the end of this year as fighting drags on, gas prices could shoot up. And what is Washington doing about this? There is talk among Democrats of "Alternative Energy" solutions of the future, including the possibilities of harnessing the power of the sun, the wind, and the water to help power homes and buildings. However, some Republicans appear skeptical about the viability of these enrgy sources. As of now, nuclear power plants are fueling parts of the country, and some say that that should be expanded. However, Secretary of the Interior Ralph Nader said yesterday that it would be "definition insanity" to expand nuclear power and has even talked about "slowly, maybe even quickly, shutting down nuclear power. It's unsafe at any level". However, Nader does seem ecstatic about the idea of "solar" power in the future and claims to have even addressed the President on numerous occasions about so-called "earth friendly" energy sources. However, as of now, gas prices will keep on rising.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #476 on: April 06, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »

Right now I'm trying to figure out basically what in the 1970's caused stagflation, how it could be fixed, and basically where Carter was wrong. I don't think Kennedy would have Carter's naivete on foreign policy, and while maybe being moderate on domestic policy, would work much better with Congress than Carter. It'll be information like that that'll help me write out Kennedy's first term and see where I go from there.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #478 on: April 09, 2011, 11:43:44 AM »

Coming off the successful passing of the Goldwater/Rumsfeld Act, I was proud and felt that I should do more in the way of foreign policy, the conflict in Palestine, and the economy. Reports on the economy were confusing. Bob McNamara, Joe Biden, and George Romney would come to me with differing reports and differing statistics. At one point or another, Bob would show that trading and commerce was up while Joe would show unemployment increasing and George saying that inflation was on the rise. Another day it would be the opposite. However, there would be certain definites. Paul Volcker, Federal Reserve Chairman, would continue his tight monetary policy and I would stand by him through thick and thin on that despite what critics on both my Right and my Left said. Of course, we now see that it works, but six years ago, no-on eacknowledged that and barely anyone knew it.

On foreign policy, I would begin talks with Soviet Leader Leonid Brehznev. Despite the wishes of  Zbigniew and Jimmy, I wasn't going there for arms limitation. That would come only as a bi-product of the talks. I was interested mainly in human rights - an issue that it didn't seem that Agnew or Bush had put nearly enough focus on. Agnew was instead focused on a military build-up for God knows what and Bush was focused on playing dipomatic puppet-master with Russia and China. Despite what the history books will tell you, it was those original talks in 1977 that would lead to the Soviet acknowledgement of human rights and eventually withdrawal from puuppet states, not the era of the eighties. Eventually, on February 16th, 1978, at a summit in Helsinki, Sweden, the International Conference on Human Rights, or ICHR (called by the Republicans "Itcher"), would begin with representatives from NATO, the Warsaw Pact, China, and other countries. It was there that a human-rights based foreign policy that some might now call the norm in today's foreign policy would begin.

Author speaking at the International Conference on Human Rights

The end of the conference, on February 26th, would be marked with the signing of the Global Humanity Accords. When I returned home, Republicans attacked the conference calling it a mere "puff affair where world leaders that abuse their citizens get to tell the United States how great they are" (those words would be spoken by former United States Attorney General John Ashbrook of Ohio). However, it would be that treaty that would lead to the United Nations condemnation of the Soviet Union in 1983 and to other, more severe actions against them.
-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy, (c) 1984
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #479 on: April 10, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2011, 11:37:23 AM by Cathcon »

March 22nd, 1978
"Today, I am announcing the beginning of legislation to create the Department of Energy, a cabinet level position designed to develop policy to work with our ever changing landscape of energy resources for the future. This will have an important hand in the shaping of the structure of our economy as it relates to energy use and consumption, as well as trading and of course transportation. Thank you." Those words, spoken today by President Kennedy, seem to be in response to continued rising oil prices throughout the country. Republicans have criticised his unwillingness to "open drilling wide open", in the words of former Treasury Secretary John Tower, while Democrats have criticised his "policies of continued dependence on oil from overseas", the words of Senator Mike Gravel. It as of yet unknown who is working on the legislation, however, rumor has it that the job has been given to some of the President's worst enemies in his own party, such as the aforementioned Mike Gravel, or to a Republican such as Senators Mark Hatfield and Paul Laxalt. However, nothing is as of now known. As for who might head the department? That too is a mystery. However, rumors are circulating from former Senator Eugene McCarthy, ro Interior Secretary Ralph Nader, from Defense Secretary Jimmy Carter to California Governor Charlton Heston. However, nobody knows. If Nader were to be picked, he would be both the first Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, and the first Secretary of Energy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2011, 07:09:46 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2011, 04:49:49 PM by SayNoToDonaldTrump »

April 4th, 1978

The Candidates of 1978
[/size]
"After having reviewed my options and talked with my closest advisers, I have decided to announce my candidacy for Governor of California" were the words spoken by former Senator Reagan only months ago. It'll be interesting to see the former Vice-Presidential candidate give it another go, and people must wonder "Will this keep him out of 1980?". Some have said "No", stating that two years of Governing will only re-inforce his "obvious" credentials for the Presidency which include over two years as United States Secretary of Commerce and twelve years as Senator from California, being the Senior Senator since 1968. Onboard Reagan's campaign are former Health and Human Services Secretary Caspar Weinberger and former RNC Chairman Edwin Meese, both friends of Reagan and presences in California politics. Facing him on the Democratic side will be a number of smaller candidates including Congressman and former Senator Glenn Anderson who Reagan first beat in 1964, and Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley.
In other races that are worth watching, it seems the remnants of the Bush and Agnew Administrations are really working to get back into politics. Former Treasury Secretary John Tower has filed papers for his candidacy for the Senate this year. However, he will not be going up against his nemesis John Connally who has announced he will be retiring from Texas politics for good in 1978. This marks the end of twelve years of dominance in Texas and national politics beginning in 1962 with his election to the Governorship. With Connally out of the Senate race, it looks like Texas will be a Republican gain in the mid-terms. The Democrats themselves are in chaos over who to nominate, though former Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives and son of former Governor Price Daniel, Price Daniel Jr. seems to be the front-runner. The only other big name Democrat woudl be Governor Lloyd Bentsen who, like Connally, is a refugee from the Kennedy administration. However, he has announced he will be running for re-election.
Also in Texas, George W Bush, son of the former President George Bush, is running for Congress from Texas' 19th Congressional District, a race, most likely to be funded by his father, that he is expected to win hands down.

In New York, in a surprise, popular Democratic Governor Daniel Patrick Moynihan will be facing published William F Buckley on the Conservative Party ticket. While Moynihan is expected to win, this may severely weaken whoever the Republicans decide to nominate. Buckley is notable the publisher of the National Review, and brother of two term Conservative Senator James L Buckley who was re-elected in 1976.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #481 on: April 16, 2011, 10:07:19 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2011, 10:09:01 AM by Cathcon »

June 1st, 1978
Republican Primary Polling
As of now, the Republican primaries begin less than two years from now seem to be yielding very interesting results. In nationwide polling for the nomination in primary and limited caucus states, the map below shows states where potential candidates won pluralities or even majorities.

List of Potential Candidates
  • Former President George Bush of Texas
  • Former Senator Ronald Reagan of California
  • Former Vice-President Gerald Ford of Michigan
  • Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon
  • Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker of Tennessee
  • Senator James L Buckley of New York
  • Senator Barry Goldwater Jr. of California
  • Former Treasury Secretary John Tower of Texas
  • Attorney General Edward Brooke of Massachusetts
  • Congressman John Anderson of Illinois
  • Former Attorney General John Ashbrook of Ohio
  • Senator Robert Taft of Ohio
  • Congressman Donald Rumsfeld of Illinois

Republican Primary Polling Map With Bush

Dark Blue-Former President George Bush of Texas
Blue-Former Senator and 1976 Vice-Presidential Candidate Ronald Reagan of California
Red-Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker of Tennessee
Dark Green-United States Attorney General Edward Brooke of Massachusetts
Light Green-Senator and 1968 Vice-Presidential Candidate Mark Hatfield of Oregon

Republican Primary Polling Map Without Bush

Blue-Former Senator and Vice-Presidential Candidate Ronald Reagan of California
Red-Former Treasury Secretary John G Tower of Texas
Light Yellow-Senate Minority Leader Howard Baker of Tennessee
Dark Green-United States Attorney General Edward Brooke of Massachusetts
Yellow-Senator James L Buckley of New York
Light Green-Senator and 1968 Vice-Presidential Candidate Mark Hatfield of Oregon
Light Blue-Former Vice-President Gerald Ford of Michigan

Of course, however, the failure of things like these is that they don't measure campaign momentum, campaign funding, the political climate two years from now, and the fact that there's a time difference between each primary, so otherwise major candidates might be forced to drop out after the first few primaries.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #482 on: April 16, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

Over two weeks since anybody commented. **Sigh**
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #483 on: April 16, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »

(Inspired by the Oliver Stone film "W.")

June 3rd, 1978

A hot Texas night in June, where five men in the Northern part of the state sit around a table drinking from glass bottles and metal cans. The only source of light is a lamp over the table.
    Texan1: I fold.
    Dubya: Hah! Well, boys, that's a couple more dollars in my pocket.
    Texan2: So, Dubya, do you think you'll be able to pull off your race this year?
    Dubya: **Swig** Of course I do, John, you know that. According to polls I'm up with at leat 56%!
    Texan3: How 'bout two years from now? Do you think Bobby Kennedy's gonna be able to win another term?
    Dubya: With the economy gettin' worse by the day and with him calling for a tax increase, and with his "Realistic" foreign policy, sure as hell the Grand Old Party's gonna carry the day.
    Texan2: Who do ya think'll do the deed?
    Texan4: Your pappy?
    Dubya: Nah, boys. He seems to be resigning himself to a life of retirement out in Crawford. Fuck, I don't know what the Hell he's gonna do with the rest of his life, but it seems one election was just too much for him.
    Texan1: So who? Reagan?
    Texan3: Hatfield? (the room bursts out in laughter)
    Dubya: I personally am hopin' for Tower. He's a real Texan and he'll beat the cowboy actor and the hippie back to the West Coast where they belong.
    Texan2: Tower? Really? He's lost to Texas Democrats too many times. Do you think he'll win?
    Dubya: What? The Senate race? Hell yeah. With Connally retiring and Bentsen tied up in the Governoship, Texas is losing it's big name Democrats. Soon, the GOP flag'll be waving above the state.
    Texan1: Would ya bet on that?
    Dubya: Hell yeah.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #484 on: April 16, 2011, 04:50:52 PM »

(Inspired by the Oliver Stone film "W.")

June 3rd, 1978

A hot Texas night in June, where five men in the Northern part of the state sit around a table drinking from glass bottles and metal cans. The only source of light is a lamp over the table.
    Texan1: I fold.
    Dubya: Hah! Well, boys, that's a couple more dollars in my pocket.
    Texan2: So, Dubya, do you think you'll be able to pull off your race this year?
    Dubya: **Swig** Of course I do, John, you know that. According to polls I'm up with at leat 56%!
    Texan3: How 'bout two years from now? Do you think Bobby Kennedy's gonna be able to win another term?
    Dubya: With the economy gettin' worse by the day and with him calling for a tax increase, and with his "Realistic" foreign policy, sure as hell the Grand Old Party's gonna carry the day.
    Texan2: Who do ya think'll do the deed?
    Texan4: Your pappy?
    Dubya: Nah, boys. He seems to be resigning himself to a life of retirement out in Crawford. Fuck, I don't know what the Hell he's gonna do with the rest of his life, but it seems one election was just too much for him.
    Texan1: So who? Reagan?
    Texan3: Hatfield? (the room bursts out in laughter)
    Dubya: I personally am hopin' for Tower. He's a real Texan and he'll beat the cowboy actor and the hippie back to the West Coast where they belong.
    Texan2: Tower? Really? He's lost to Texas Democrats too many times. Do you think he'll win?
    Dubya: What? The Senate race? Hell yeah. With Connally retiring and Bentsen tied up in the Governorship, Texas is losing it's big name Democrats. Soon, the GOP flag'll be waving above the state.
    Texan1: Would ya bet on that?
    Dubya: Hell yeah.

I can easily see this occurring.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #485 on: April 16, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »

A new reader! Smiley

If you've seen "W.", a conversation like that takes place. At one point in the short scene, the characters talk about 1980, and it goes something like "What about 1980, Dubya? Do you think your Dad can beat Reagan?" "Hell yeah he can beat that cowboy actor!", and I wanted to create a version of that, only, Poppy's pretty much out of the way in this 1980.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #486 on: April 16, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »

Any other comments?

I remember reading older timelines (2009-2010 maybe), and there'd be multiple comments between updates and discussions filling up pages between updates. I seem to have missed out on that.[/self pitying]
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #487 on: April 17, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
« Edited: April 17, 2011, 09:03:34 AM by SayNoToDonaldTrump »

Within a couple posts, maybe today, the mid-terms should be up.

However, I also want to outline what's really been going on with things like domestic policy, because I don't think that that's really covered.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #488 on: April 17, 2011, 03:34:54 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2011, 03:41:48 PM by SayNoToDonaldTrump »

The first half of my term was a very strange mix of good and bad news. On one hand, I had been able to pass an economic stimulus package through Congress, which would later prove to be an invaluable part of the later economic recovery. I had begun the long road to welfare reform that I would sadly not be President when it was completed. I had negotiated for the recognition of human rights in Soviet-bloc countries, and economically, McNamara reported consumer spending to be up to pre-1974 levels. However at the same time the stock market had experienced two large drops since January 20th, 1977, the Soviets were attempting to strengthen their regimes in Cambodia and Afghanistan, gasoline and crude oil prices continued to climb and attempts at any serious legislative work such as welfare reform and the creation of the department of energy were stalling. With that mix, I had no idea what to expect with the mid-term elections coming up in NOvemeber of 1978 and I began meeting with House and Senate Republican leadership to prepare for two years of even steeper compromises.

Democratic chances were hurt only by hearing that Connally would be retiring in 1978. He had helped to keep Texas at least half-Democratic in the Senate for the last six years, despite his moderate-Conservative stances, and had he not run I believed that Tower had a very good chance in 1972. At that point in 1978, it looked very much as if Tower might win with over 55% against the Democratic nominee. Meanwhile, Massachusetts was a toss-up. Upon my leaving the Senate Governor John Volpe appointed former Health and Human Services Secretary Elliot Richardson, a Republican, to the post. With Richardson's Liberal stances, it looked very much like he would win re-election over whoever the Democrats put up.

Former President Bush and former Treasury Secretary Tower at a meeting after Tower's announcement of his fourth campaign for the Senate

As for the Republicans, they would attack the economy as their major reason that they should be elected to Congress. However, the records of both Presidents Bush and Agnew were dismal when it came to employment. Their economic strategy had been for the most part "raise taxes to stop inflation" That hadn't worked for four years in a row and the economy still needed recovering from that. At the same time, the taxes raised had done nothing to help shrink the deficit. I was attempting to cut taxes, put more money into the economy, and actually shrink both the domestic and military budgets while working to make the country safer and to help more of the poor. Agnew and Bush had attempted none of those and yet the Republicans seemed to want those policies back. It was a crazy world.

On foreign policy I had been attacked from both sides: Hawks and Doves; and both Sides: Republicans and Democrats. Some Republicans argued for a more aggressive foreign policy, some Republicans argued for a humbler foreign policy.
Former Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller testifying before Congress, argued for a "middle ground" between the hawks and the doves
Some Democrats argued for a more aggressive foreign policy and some Democrats argued for a humbler foreign policy. Sides were being made across ideologies and party lines while the Senate chamber began exploding with chaos. I was caught in the middle.
-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy, (c) 1984
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #489 on: April 17, 2011, 04:18:38 PM »

Go Tower!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #490 on: April 19, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »

Since I feel I've accurately covered policy fro 1977-1978, coming up are the 1978 elections, someday.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #491 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »
« Edited: June 18, 2011, 10:46:28 AM by Cathcon »

November 8th, 1978
Mid-Terms Result in continued balance of power!
Last night, the 1978 Senate elections were held. Some optimists on the Left had hoped for a vindication of Kennedy's policies, while some on the Right hoped for a repudiation of his policies. However, the balance of power remains virtually the same, levelling out to a net of zero gains and losses. However, at the same time, since 1977, Republicans have made gains in the Senate. With the leaving of Kennedy and McGovern for the Presidency and Vice-Presidency, Elliot Richardson (R) was appointed to fill Kennedy's seat. In South Dakota, a Democrat was appointed but lost in a special election in 1977.

Dark Blue-Republican Hold
Light Blue-Republican Gain
Light Red-Democratic Gain
Dark Red-Democratic Hold

Senate Balance of Power
Democrats: 57 (+/-0)
Republicans: 41 (+/-0)
Conservatives: 1
Independents: 1

Notable Races
Kansas: Due to the retirement of Senator Pearson (R), former Senator Bob Dole who was defeated in 1974, and served as Secretary of Agriculture (1975-1977) is elected to the Senate.
Massachusetts: Appointed Senator and former cabinet secretary Elliot Richardson wins re-election.
Mississippi: Thad Cochran is elected to the Senate.
Oregon: Senator Mark Hatfield wins re-election.
Rhode Island: Senator John Chaffee wins re-election.
Texas: Republican and former Treasury Secretary John Tower finally wins election to the Senate.

Notable Other Races:
California: Former Senator Ronald Reagan is elected Governor.
Georgia: Congressman Newt Gingrich, first elected in 1974, wins re-election to the House of Representatives from Georgia's 6th Congressional District.
Texas: George W Bush, son of former President Bush, wins election to Congress with 54% of the vote in Texas' 19th Congressional District. In Texas' 14th Congressional District, Incumbent Ron Paul, first elected in a special election in 1976, wins re-election.
Wyoming: Former Official envoy to China Dick Cheney wins election to the House of Representatives from Wyoming's At-Large Congressional District.

Congressman-elect Bush at his victory party
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #492 on: April 22, 2011, 10:08:35 AM »

How can you say the F-word on this forum? Whenever I post it get blocked out.

Example:
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: April 22, 2011, 01:43:06 PM »

Example:

Never mind, I have it Tongue.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #494 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:51 PM »

Example:

You comment on my TL just to say that? Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #495 on: April 22, 2011, 06:00:21 PM »

November 8th, 1978
The Oval Office, where President Kennedy sits with Chief of Staff Daley, Commerce Secretary McNamara, Health and Human Services Secretary Shriver, and Labor Secretary Joe Biden. Despite all four holding lower level cabinet positions, Kennedy trusts each of them a lot more than the four highest members of his cabinet, two being Republicans and him not caring much for the other two.
    Kennedy: Well, boys, it was a real coup last night, let me tell you that. As far as I see it, there isn't going to be any real change on policy. Tower is just a slightly more Conservative version of Connally, and there's only a slight shift to the Left over on the East  coast, so even the politics of the individual representatives doesn't change much.
    Shriver: So you don't see any real blocking of the passage of the rest of your agenda?
    Kennedy: Nope. We should have welfare reform done by the end of next year, and healthcare should be fully accomplished by 1982. In fact, I'd say that this has stalled the so-called backlash, and in 1980 we'll be set for victory.
    McNamara: I was thinking the same thing. The Republicans we're pushing and fighting to make inroads in Congress. However, their biggest gains were in the House, where Tip has a firm hold anyway. All their squawking and complaining really did nothing, and in fact, we have weathered the Republican drizzle. The economy should be turned around by 1980, and the Republicans' best shot is Reagan, the only one who can really match you in charisma, and you shoudl have him beat on the issues.
    Kennedy: Well, two years from now I hope to God you're right. We should be cruising by 1980.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #496 on: April 22, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »

Example:

You comment on my TL just to say that? Tongue

Lol, sorry. Anyway, it's a good TL. I hope Bush runs in 1980.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #497 on: April 23, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

November 8th, 1978
Congressman-elect George W Bush and former President George Bush walk side-by-side, talking.
    Poppy: Well, junior, first of all I want to congratulate you.
    Dubya: Thanks, Poppy. I couldn't have done it without your help and your endorsement of course. What was it like when you first got into Congress.
    Poppy: Well, there was a lot of pressure on me to get otu from under grandpa's shadow. People had already noticed a dynasty growing and that put a lot of pressure on me to do the best I could. Now, I don't want to give you that same pressure.
    Dubya: No sweat, Poppy.

The two walk on in silence for a few seconds.
    Dubya: Poppy, have you made a decision about running in 1980?
    Poppy: Yes I have, and I'll make my announcement in a few days.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2011, 05:32:16 PM »

December 16th, 1978
Former President Bush takes the stage in a press conference in Houston, Texas. He is flanked by Congressman-elect George W Bush, Senator-elect John Tower, and Senator James Baker, all of Texas. Through the flashes of the cameras, he prepares himself, straightening his suit and putting on glasses. As the room slowly quites down, Bush clears his throat and leans forward onto the podium.
    Bush: Now, there's been a lot of speculation about the election year 1980. People have mentioned me as a possible candidate. There's been a lot, a lot of speculation about the possibility of me running for a second term in 1980 against President Kennedy. I've thought about it, and discussed it with my good friends James Baker, John Tower, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and others. I have decided that I shall not run for, nor shall I accept, the Republican Presidential nomination of 1980.

Bush is OUT of 1980!
Only today former President Bush, who was defeated just over two years ago in a campaign for the Presidency by Robert F Kennedy, announced that he shall no be seeking a re-match of the campaign that was the matching of two of the most powerful political families in modern American politics. This all leaves two questions: 1) Who's the frontrunner? 2) Who will Bush endorse? As for the front-runner, with Bush out of the way, this leaves one man; Former Senator and Governor-elect Ronald Reagan of California; the frontrunner. He has run once for the nomination before, and has as well been the Vice-Presidential nominee in 1976, making him the heir-apparent to the throne. However, will Reagan's ascension to the Governorship weed him out of 1980? He might want to wait until 1984. However, with Reagan's age fast catching up to him, it seems as if 1980 will be his last chance at the Presidency. The second question: "Who will Bush endorse?", well that is harder to answer. Senator-elect John Tower of Texas, a close Bush family friend who, along with the President, helped build the Texas Republican party during the 1960's, is listed as a possible candidate, and would be a definite presence in the South. However, it would be customary of Bush to endorse his former runningmate, Ronald Reagan, who gladly accepted the nomination despite his backing of Meldrim Thomson in the 1976 Republican primaries. However, this is all speculation. America will have to wait a year and a half to find out the truth.

I had advised George not to go after the nomination in 1980. While his family, mainly lead by the enthusiastic Dubya, seemed ready for another go with Kennedy, George did not. He had become tired of all the partisan bickering that came with being President, and with the incredible fight that 1976 had been. "Maybe 1984", he would say, should the Republican nominee in 1980 fail. "Maybe another go as Vice-President", he also said, should the Republicans need a true sign of unity after a potentially divisive primary. However, he clearly felt that four years would not be long enough to be away from the Presidency.
-What the Man was Made of, James Baker, (c) 1999
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2011, 05:37:08 PM »

Aw...well in that case, Reagan in 80! Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length