A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 289724 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 08, 2011, 03:50:20 PM »

Another veer off...would be interesting to see what happens next. It appears the 1970s seemed to have calmed down. Kennedy could have a chance.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #526 on: May 08, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »

Another veer off...would be interesting to see what happens next. It appears the 1970s seemed to have calmed down. Kennedy could have a chance.

I get what you say, but what do you mean by "another veer off?"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #527 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:48 PM »

As in the time line has deviated from what actually happened.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #528 on: May 08, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »

As in the time line has deviated from what actually happened.

Well then that's good because making a different world is my goal.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #529 on: May 08, 2011, 09:21:09 PM »

Wonder how it will be different...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #530 on: May 14, 2011, 05:56:09 PM »

Bump.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #531 on: May 14, 2011, 06:23:34 PM »

March 3rd, 1979
The office of Gates Comission Chairman Robert Gates, who heads the investigations of military spending ordered to be carried out in accordance with the Goldwater-Rumsfeld Act.
    Gates: What is this? This is what you were called down for.
    McCord: A phone bugging device. For some reason or another, from what I can tell, your phone has been bugged.
    Gates: And I suppose this, found on my secretary's phone, is a bug as well?
    McCord: Yes sir, from what I can tell.
    Gates: Who would do this?
    McCord: Mr. Gates, I honestly have no idea. I'm just an electronic's expert, I can't tell you who would want to do this and why.
    Gates: Will there be any sort of investigation into this? I'd like to know who would want to bug my office and why.
    McCord: Possibly. The DC police could get involved, and if important enough, maybe the FBI. That's if it's important enough.
    Gates: Also, filed I had on the CIA that I could've sworn were in my files have been missing for the last few weeks and when I've asked the CIA for alternative soruces of records, I've been stonewalled.
    McCord: Not my area of expertise, and if you don't mind my saying so, none of my business. I'm just the man you called in to find out what the bug was, and I've told you.
    Gates: Well, if that's it, then you can go. Will a report be filed? Any sort of investigation?
    McCord: The DC police will be around soon for evidence, to talk to you, anything you might need to know about how this is going to proceed. I got no idea if this is even anything important or not. That's for the police to decide, and they should be around here soon anyway.
    Gates: Well, if you haven't got any other business around here, you can go now if need be.
    McCord: Good day, then.

James McCord, the electronics assistant sent down to look at what turned up to be bugs in Gates' office, leaves. His secretary, who had her phone bugged, steps into the office.
    Gates: (leans backwards onto his desk) **Sigh**. Just what I needed. I don't know what the hell is going on with this anymore. Playing little games with the CIA over snippets of information. That bastard Richard Bissell letting as little information as possible slip through his fingers. Files disappearing. And now this, my phones have been tapped.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #532 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:12 PM »

I just can't seem to find time to update. I'll try to do it tonight, but no guarantees. I'm not really sure how to play out the next year's worth of the timeline.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #533 on: May 18, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »

March 5th, 1979
Palestinian Withdrawal Debate Heats Up!
Who would have guessed that the issue over withdrawal from Palestin would be so divisive, not only to the Republicans, but to the President's own party? Pro-war Democrats rallied behind former Senator John Connally's testimony before Congress earlier today which is seen as the greatest statement by a Democrat in favor of continuation of fighting in Palestine.
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
This emotional and unexpected response to questions of his "expert opinion" on plans for withdrawal from Palestine and the end of the Palestinian war. This encouraged pro-war Democrats, specifically the likes of Strom Thurmond (SC), Jesse Helms (NC), to step out of the wood work and take an active stance against the President's withdrawal from Palestine. Even Democrats outside of the Senate, such as New York Governor Daniel Patrick Moynihan, originally a Kennedy supporter an former HUD Secretary for John F Kennedy, who has voiced quiet support for the war in the past, have begun a more active role in the debate against Palestinian Withdrawal. Who knows where this may lead?
Former Senator John Connally (D-TX) blasted proponents of Palestinian withdrawal earlier today

Other News

Will Gene run again?
Former Senator Eugene McCarthy, who in 1976 chose to run for President rather than re-election, has not denied that he still holds future Presidential aspirations. McCarthy has a tenuous relationship with the Kennedys as he first ran for President in 1968 as an anti-war candidate facing then-incumbent John F Kennedy in the primaries. In 1976, McCarthy was seen as an early front-runner but was forced to bow out after only winning Vermont in the primaries. Will Eugene McCarthy, who rallied the youth vote in his favor in 1968, once again take up the mantle of anti-war candidate in 1980, this time facing a different Kennedy? McCarthy has said that he is "closer and closer" to deciding and that he will be making a decision before June.

Former Senator Eugene McCarthy (D-MN) does not deny rumors that he may run for President

Bugging Bob Gates?
Former CIA agent Robert Gates, who was in 1977 appointed to head the comission to investigate spending in the Pentagon and various other national security agencies and bureaus, has, according to sources, discovered phone bugging devices connected to both his office phone and his secretary's phone. Gates, who is currently attempting to "crack open the nutshell of the CIA" in his attempt to fulfill his responsibilities laid down by the Goldwater-Rumsfeld Act, has said "I don't know why this happened, and I don't know who did this. But I want to know. I hope the Washington DC police can find this out." Congressman Donald Rumsfeld, currently a Presidential candidate and of course, co-author of the bill that put Gates in charge, has said "This greatly upsets me to see that for some reason, someone felt that Gates needed to be observed illegally. I too want to know who, why, and all the other questions. I have a feeling, however, that by asking this we may be getting more than we bargained for."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #534 on: May 18, 2011, 07:07:12 PM »

Wow-Gene McCarthy not running? Only Harold Stassen could put him to shame.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #535 on: May 18, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »

Wow-Gene McCarthy not running? Only Harold Stassen could put him to shame.

What do you mean?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #536 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:05 PM »

McCarthy ran in 5 or 6 presidential primaries, if I am not mistaken.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #537 on: May 18, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »

McCarthy ran in 5 or 6 presidential primaries, if I am not mistaken.

In this, as far as I remember, it's 1968 and 1976. In 1964 he was up fro re-election, and in 1972 Mike Gravel was the nominee of the New Left. I'll look over the 1964 and 1972 primaries.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #538 on: May 18, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

He's only run twice so far.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #539 on: May 19, 2011, 05:37:20 PM »

Actually, looking back, I wish I had included Harold Stassen in 1968, 1972, and 1976, since he was an RL perennial candidate. In the past, I edited him into Nixon's cabinet to give him a lease on life, but by then it was too late to include him in the primaries (not that he would've won anything).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #540 on: May 19, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2011, 06:19:49 PM by Vote Cathcon when writing in for Mid-East Assembly »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #541 on: May 19, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »

Any politicians yall'd like to know the whereabouts of while I try to find how to move this forward?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #542 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »

Any politicians yall'd like to know the whereabouts of while I try to find how to move this forward?

Robert Byrd?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #543 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:16 PM »

Robert Byrd?

Not really any change: Senator from West Virginia and Senate Majority Leader. There are certain politicians whose lives will change a lot, and some whose lives will change very little.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #544 on: May 21, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »

March 5th, 1979
In the Oval Office, President Robert F Kennedy meets with Director of Central Intelligence Richard Bissell and Chief of Staff Richard M Daley. On Kennedy's desk lies an article from a newspaper.
Bugging Bob Gates?
Former CIA agent Robert Gates, who was in 1977 appointed to head the comission to investigate spending in the Pentagon and various other national security agencies and bureaus, has, according to sources, discovered phone bugging devices connected to both his office phone and his secretary's phone. Gates, who is currently attempting to "crack open the nutshell of the CIA" in his attempt to fulfill his responsibilities laid down by the Goldwater-Rumsfeld Act, has said "I don't know why this happened, and I don't know who did this. But I want to know. I hope the Washington DC police can find this out." Congressman Donald Rumsfeld, currently a Presidential candidate and of course, co-author of the bill that put Gates in charge, has said "This greatly upsets me to see that for some reason, someone felt that Gates needed to be observed illegally. I too want to know who, why, and all the other questions. I have a feeling, however, that by asking this we may be getting more than we bargained for."
    Kennedy: Okay, first thing being first, given you're both named Richard, I'll call you (points at Bissell) Bissell, and you (points at Daley) Dick.
    Bissell: Sure.
    Daley: Of course.
    Kennedy: Bissell, did you read what was in the paper today?
    Bissell: What article?
    Kennedy: "Bugging Bob Gates", a story about how Gates discovered bugs on his phone.
    Bissell: Why yes I did.
    Kennedy: And Dick, did you?
    Daley: Uh, no, I haven't gotten around to the paper yet.
    Kennedy: Well, what your guys did was discovered.
    Bissell: Any evidence that anyone's heard of? Any possible way to trace it back to us?
    Kennedy: I haven't heard anything, and I'll assume that means Dick hasn't heard anything.
    Daley: Right.
    Bissell: I don't get it, why did we need to bug his office? We've already made sure his limited files "disappeared". What was the point of that?
    Daley: It was to see his strategy, if I'm not mistaken. To see if he'd try to use any old contacts to help him get information.
    Bissell: We were seriously thinking he might try espionage to get information?
    Daley: Look, I admit, and I'm sure Bobby admits it too, that we really were'nt sure what we were looking for, but he, sooner or later, we all know, would get his hands on the Cuba situation, and we all know we don't need that public.
    Kennedy: I can't believe we're even talking about ousting Castro in secret. This shouldn't have to be undercover. We should be liberators.
    Bissell: It's the way the world is. I know people inside my own organization who seem afraid of Cuba. After Nixon's three failures, it's become taboo.
    Kennedy: How long until we are operational and can commence?
    Bissell: Should be ready by June, July at the latest.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #545 on: May 21, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »

March 15th, 1979
Taft Is In!
"After having consulted with my immediate family, members of my extended family, my closest friends, political allies, and members of my staff, I have decided that I shall enter the race for President of the United States of America. Over the last two years, Kennedy has failed to follow through on his claims the he will end the War in Palestine. His so-called timeline for withdrawal is only another lease on life for this war which has accomplished all that has been needed to accomplish. Kennedy also promised fiscal responsibility coming into office, and yet he has failed to even audit his own CIA in accordance with the necessary legislation that I voted for. On the economy, Kennedy's claims that hsi stimulus is working are falling far short. Gas prices are up, unemployment is up, and spirit is down. That is why I am here before you today, and that is why I am running for President."

With those words, Ohio Senator Robert Taft Jr., son of Conservative icon the late Robert Taft and grand-son of the one-term President William Howard Taft, entered the race for the Republican nomination. He is only one in a field of four, comprise of the Liberal Congressman Pete McCloskey (CA-12), the moderate-to-Conservative Congressman Donald Rumsfeld (IL-13), and the hawkish General Alexander Haig (PA). Judging from the candidates currently in the race, the possibility of a second 1968, where the Republican candidate is more anti-war than the Democratic candidate, emerges, and this time, like 1968, with the Democrat being a Kennedy. President Kennedy's response to Taft's announcement was surprisingly aggressive, with Kennedy, nearly shouting, saying "Necessary legislation that will end this war is in the process of passing, and yet the Senator seemingly fails to recognize it. Necessary legislation to help the energy crisis is being passed, and the Senator fails to recognize it! Necessary legislation to cut the military has been passed and is being enacted, and the Senator fails to recognize it! How can a man who can't recognize action be President?" With Taft being the only Republican candidate so far to have held statewide office, he has one of the best chances, and is, as of now, holding a narrow second in the polls behind Donald Rumsfeld.

Poll to likely Republican primary voters:
Out of the announced candidates, who do you prefer to win the Republican nomination?

-Congressman Donald Rumsfeld: 28%
-Senator Robert Taft Jr.: 26%
-General Alexander Haig: 18%
-Congressman Pete McCloskey: 12%
-Undecided: 14%

Other News

Energy Department Legislation to come to final vote
The final vote for the creation of the Department of Energy in the Senate will come to a final vote tomorrow. Having already passed the House of Representatives, it is expected that with the support of Senate Democrats and some Republicans, it will pass. This leaves the question everyone has been asking for a while: "Who will head the department?" Possibilities range from Interior Secretary Ralph Nader to Texas Governor Lloyd Bentsen and it seems even certain Republicans are being considered. Congressman John Anderson (R-IL-16) has said he would not decline the job when asked by the press.

Palestinian Withdrawal Date still in debate
Since ten days ago when former Senator John Connally lambasted anti-war Democrats for their attempts to end the Palestinian War, anti-war Democrats and Republicans alike have come out of the woodwork and the debate over whether the war will finally get an end date had only had wood added to the fire. Not only were lawmakers debating on capitol hill, but so were others as former Presidents Bush and Nixon spoke before the Senate along with Governors Ronald Reagan and Daniel Patrick Moynihan. With the pro-war side of the debate enrgized, it seems that they might just win this debate, which according to the polls, has no real favorable side as the nation is split nearly fifty-fifty over the issue.

And who for the Conservatives?
Many have wondered who, in the 1980 election, will represent Conservatives? Will Rumsfeld cement himself as the only choice? Will Haig do that instead? Will Reagan, Goldwater's successor and the "Conservative Messiah" finally run again and win what should've been his eight years ago? Meldrim Thompson Jr., New Hampshire Governor and former candidate for the Presidency, could be the candidate in 1980. Or what about John Ashbrook, former Attorney General and a favorite of the Conservatives? Could he be the one eight years after his Independent Vice-Presidential candidacy? The last one to look at would be Senator James L Buckley, a man who not only once, but twice has won his race for the Senate in New York of all places. The man whose brother is former Ambassador to the United Nations and Cosnervative writer. Will he be the man who can show that Cosnervatives can and will win anywhere? Hopefully these questions will be answered before the year is over.

Could Governor Reagan be the man Conservatives are looking for in 1980?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #546 on: May 21, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

If this doesn't continue, it's because the rapture's taking me.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #547 on: May 21, 2011, 08:00:40 PM »

You've heard it here first.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #548 on: May 21, 2011, 08:09:01 PM »

If this doesn't continue, it's because the rapture's taking me.
Do Unitarians get raptured?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2011, 08:10:10 PM »

Hold on, I'll ask Jesus. Turns out heaven has free wi-fi and free laptops, so this may continue.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies