A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:16:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288208 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 04:40:55 PM »
« edited: November 27, 2010, 04:51:50 PM by Cathcon »

November 4th, 1964
The day after the 1964 election, and the defeat of President Richard Nixon, Senator-elect Ronald Reagan, who endorsed Nixon in 1960, and Senator Barry Goldwater in 1964, receives a phone call from his close political ally, Barry Goldwater.
    Ronnie: Hello?
    Barry: Hello, Ron, it's Barry. Congratulations on you win yesterday. Impressive. I hope that we can work together in the Senate to bring about real change in the Senate.
    Ronnie: Well thank you, and congratulations on you re-election. Yes, I hope we can work together. But we have some real problems with the moderates in the Senate like Javitts that don't exaclty fit the Conservative mold.
    Barry: Yes. The Republican Party does seem to be rather confused as to what ideology it belongs to. Hopefully, in 1968, we can set in on the right course.
    Ronnie: Of course. By the way, has your boy, Barry Jr., has he decided what career he should take?
    Barry: Well, he hasn't decided yet, though he's had urging from some friends to go into politics. By the way, have you heard of Nixon's plans for the future?
    Ronnie: No, why? What does he have planned?
    Barry: Well, from what I've heard, Finch, you know, his Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, well, Nixon wants him to run for Governor of California.
    Ronnie: You don't say. What's he planning there? A run in 1968 or '72? Does Nixon want to "restore his legacy"?
    Barry: Well, that's what it seems like. And from what I've read, Finch is a bonafide Rockefeller Liberal, not even a Centrist like Nixon.
    Ronnie: Well, I certainly can't do anything about it. By 1966, I'll be too tied up in the Senate to be able to run for Governor. Maybe your boy could run, or there's a lawyer I know, named Edwin Meese, who was my campaign's legal adviser, that might have an interest.
    Barry: I just don't know right now, but we can't have Nixon's fingers reaching back at the party from his one term, dictating how the party will go. I'll be seeing you, Ron.
    Ronnie: Bye Barry.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 04:50:34 PM »

OMG YES NIXON/REAGAN '72!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 04:53:18 PM »

Possible responses:
What?
No.
Hardly.
Why?
Nixon will not make a comeback after his failure in foreign policy during his first term.
He might try one later, but not as of now.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »

February 11th, 1968; somewhere in New Hampshire
As Senator Ronald Reagan walks down the street of a small New Hampshire town, he is hounded by reporters attempting to get him to answer serious questions on Presidential aspirations. He is candid as ever when answering.
    Reporter 1: Senator Reagan! Senator Reagan! Why are you here? Are you campaigning for President?
    Reporter 2: Senator, a recent poll shows you leading most likely Republican candidates, including your friend, Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater. How do you respond to that?
    Reagan: As I have said before, I am here fully on the behalf of my good friend Senator Goldwater of Arizona. And no, I do not intend suddenly enter the race and split the Conservative vote.
    Reporter 1: Senator Reagan! Do you have any plans for 1972? Will you accept a draft for Vice-President?
    Reagan: I think it would be premature to answer questions about the 1972 election when we are in this election. And no, I do not have plans for 1972 because I am sure this year will be a Republican year, and that that Republican will be Barry Goldwater.
    Reporter 3: What about Rockefeller, Senator? Do you see him as a threat to Goldwater's chances?
    Reagan: Governor Rockefeller shouldn't pose a threat at all. The time for his wing of the party has passed. 1968, I'm sure of it, will be not only a Republican year, but a Conservative year.

Senator Ronald Reagan today, has once again declined rumors that he is running for President. He has continued to state that he is merely visiting New Hampshire to campaign for his colleague in the Senate, Barry Goldwater of Arizona. He has also stated that he sincerely believes that 1968 will be, in his words, 'not only a Republican year, but a Conservative year.' He has also said that the Liberal wing of the Republican party, lead by New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, is in the act of dying out, and that its time has passed. Well, this writer can only hope so as I will be taking a temporary leave of my post to work for Senator Goldwater's campaign as Press Secretary.
                -Journalist Patrick J Buchanan for the St. Louis Globe Democrat; February 11th, 1968
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 06:42:40 PM »

November 4th, 1964; the Governor's Mansion in Lansing, Michigan
Michigan Governor George Romney is hard at work, looking for a compromise with the Democrat controlled Michigan State Legislature. At the moment, he is attempting union reforms in order to clean out corruption. His son Mitt, who is currently a student at the Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills.
    Mitt: Knock-knock.
    George: Oh, hi Mitt. How was school for the 'Lone Mormon'?
    Mitt: Hi Dad. Congratulations on re-election.
    George: Oh, yes. You know, I was afraid that Nixon would really drag the party down this year, but we didn't have that many bad losses. We even picked up a seat in California.
    Mitt: Dad, I'm not here to talk about last nigh't Kennedy victory. With Nixon out of the way, I think 1968 could be your year. You already bowed out of 1964 to support Rockefeller, and I was thinking that you should run in 1968.
    George: We'll see. Right now, though, I'm focused on finding common ground with those Democrats in the capital. Y'know, sometimes I-I wonder if it's really worth it, being in politics and all.
    Mitt: Just look at all you've accomplished! You've been in here less than two years, and your a better Governor and a better man than Rockefeller!
    George: What makes you think that, Mitt?
    Mitt: Well, it's just that all that Rockefeller's done as Governor is rack up deficits for New York, and all that Nelson's done as a man is get divorced. I think you can beat him four years from now. I have faith in you, Dad.
    George: We'll see son.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 06:47:05 PM »

Comments, Questions, Critques, Complaints, Compliments?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »

Kind of stole the name of one of my timelines but its cool Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »

January 18th, 1965
With only two days to go until Senator John F Kennedy becomes President John F Kennedy, he has unveiled his list of cabinet appointments. Certain members are seen as highly qualified, while others are seen as less experienced. The major issue with Senator Kennedy was naming a Secretary of Defense. While Texas Governor John Connally, a relentless Kennedy supporter who helped deliver Texas by a large margin to him, was Kennedy's first choice, Connally turned the opportunity down, instead choosing to focus on governing, at least for one more two year term. In his stead, Kennedy selected outgoing Congressman James Roosevelt for the job. Kennedy's entire list is seen below:
Vice-President: Terry Sanford
Secretary of State: Henry M Jackson
Secretary of the Treasury: Robert McNamara
Secretary of Defense: James Roosevelt
Attorney General: Robert Kennedy
Postmaster General: Michael V DiSalle
Secretary of the Interior: Stewart Udall
Secretary of Agriculture: Albert Gore Sr.
Secretary of Commerce: Edmund G Brown Sr.
Secretary of Labor: Adlai E Stevenson
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: George Smathers
National Security Adviser: Omar Bradley
Director of Central Intelligence: Robert Sargent Shriver

The Home of President-Elect John F Kennedy
Senator John F Kennedy is relaxing, talking to his brother and his closest adviser, Bobby, about the recent release of Kennedy's cabinet picks.
    Bobby: Now, are you sure about some of these people? I mean, James Roosevelt for Secretary of Defense, you haven't been exactly loved by the Liberals since that incident with McCarthy in the '50's.
    Jack: That's exactly why we need to have him with us. Otherwise, the Far Left will turn on us. It's appointments of people like Roosevelt and Udall that will allow us to operate with Congress on things like taxes and defense spending.
    Bobby: I'm not sure of Roosevelt's qualifications for the job. I mean, how's he to know the first thing about what goes on inside of the Pentagon? Connally wasn't exactly a five star general, but he had connections and a certain amount of knowledge about him that I don't see with Roosevelt.
    Jack: Calm down, Bobby. We don't even need Roosevelt for that long. Just until Connally finishes his second term in two years. After that, we have six more years to do the job right.
    Bobby: That's assuming you win re-election...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 09:22:33 PM »

What name was that?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 10:34:59 PM »

September 22nd, 1968; the campaign headquarters of Republican nominee George Romney
As the Governor talks to Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon, his running mate, in person and to Senator Ronald Reagan of California, representative of the Conservative wing of the party, by phone, his son, George Scott Romney, who goes by the name of Scott, walks through the doors and into Romney's informal conference room. Scott is currently a student at Harvard.
    Scott: Hi Dad.
    George: Scott! What brings you all the way out here to Michigan again?
    Scott: The polls. They showed you leading by a narrow margin until yesterday.
    George: Ah,yes. It was the new 'plan' that Kennedy unveiled yesterday the narrowly moved him back into first. That plan is...is nothing but what they've been trying to say for the last four years. Th-they're simply unable to win it, so they keep saying 'more guns, more money'...
    Mark: ...While more American boys go to die in foreign jungles.
    George: Oh! Yes, Scott, this is Senator Mark Hatfield of Oregon, my running mate. Mark, this is my son, George, but we call him Scott.

Scott and Hatfield briefly shake hands.
    Mark: It's a pleasure to meet you.
    Scott: And a pleasure to meet you too, sir.
    Scott: (To George) You know, Mitt doesn't agree with you on all this. I talked to him by phone, and he was barely aware of your position on the war. He actually ended up getting into a fight with some of the French over support of the war. If you win, it'll be interesting to say which way he goes with this.
    George: Well, that's the first I heard about the fight, but I always knew his position. He's young, he hasn't cooled with age. Well, now, How are things going with you at Harvard?
    Scott: Just great, Dad. Anyway, I'm heading to the house. I'll see you there. Bye, and bye Senator Hatfield.
    George: Bye, Scott.

George turns back to the phone, where he's had Senator Reagan on hold. Senator Hatfield listens in on a second line.
    George: Now, listen, Reagan, I think w-we can hold down the West, whether or not I support the war. Nevada, Utah, Idaho, and Oregon or all shoo-ins according to the latest polls. What are you worried about, California? That's going Republican like it has been for the last sixteen years.
    Reagan: No, George, it's more about precious swing states like Arizona and New Mexico that I think will go for Kennedy. Meanwhile, there the Dixiecrats. Now, I'd never support or endorse them, but they're liable to draw away precious Conservative votes in the places like I mentioned. While they harm the Democrats more in the South, they resulted in making states like Arizona and California closer than they had to be in 1964.
    George: L-look, Ron, we're doing just fine. We may be down in the polls, but support for the war is wearing away day-by-day. Look at all these bombing runs that Kennedy has planned! They won't work, as th-they haven't worked in the past. While you and Goldwater might be just fine with how Kennedy's going-
    Reagan: Now, I never said that-
    George: ...While you and George might be just fine with how Kennedy's going, there's a rather large portion of America that isn't happy, and I will not stand by while I watch American boys be killed in this war!
    Reagan: **Sigh**...The Kennedys, they really underestimate you. However, you're wrong. We'll talk tomorrow about this.

Who do you intend to vote for in the upcoming election?
President John F Kennedy/Vice-President Terry Sanford; 49%
Governor George Romney/Senator Mark Hatfield; 46%
Undecided/Other; 5%
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 11:08:52 PM »

What name was that?

http://www.uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=102992.0

Eliot Spitzer: A Second Chance
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2010, 12:45:09 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2010, 11:36:06 AM by Cathcon »

September 24th, 1968
Alabama Governor George Wallace joins the Dixiecrats! Presidential Campaign already under way!
This afternoon, former Alabama Governor George Wallace announced that he would joine the Dixiecrat Party. Having met with both Senator Thurmond and former Governor Faubus, he has become the unofficial nominee of the Dixicrat Party, having already run for the Democratic nomination, and winning two primaries. It is not yet known who he will chose for Vice-President, however, some names that have come up are General Curtis LeMay, Senator Harry F Byrd Jr. of Virginia, and Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, though all have declined to comment on whether they would be willing to join the ticket.

The Whitehouse
President Kennedy and his staff have just heard the news about Wallace's third party bid. The Kennedys, by now, are sick of discussions about the Dixiecrats, and how the Democrats can win without the Solid South.
    Jack: **Groan** Not again!
    Bobby: I know Jack. We're just going to have to pull this through another time.
    Jack: I am sick and tired of hearing these ceaseless demands from those damn Southern Democrats! Do they have to try to throw every damn election? I'll tell you what they are, they are mentally sick and physically incapable of handling the idea of Civil Rights.
    Bobby: We're just gonna have to pull this through one more time.
    Jack: Get Shriver on the phone...
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »

and what's teddy keneddy doing at the moment?

Nice TL =)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2010, 11:21:21 AM »

and what's teddy keneddy doing at the moment?

Nice TL =)

Ted's in the Senate doing whatever it is he does in the Senate. JFK talks a lot more with Bobby than with Ted because RFK is his Attorney General and is hanging around the Whitehouse a lot more than Ted is.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2010, 11:48:30 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2010, 01:49:24 PM by Cathcon »

November 5th, 1967; Detroit, Michigan
And, because of this long and arduous war in Vietnam, because of the Administration's inability to either win it or bring American troops back home, because of President Kennedy's inaction on Civil Rights, and because of his lack of concern for the poor, I am now declaring my candidacy for President! It will not be easy, but I believe that we can win!
-Michigan Governor George Romney announcing his candidacy for the Republican nomination; November 5th, 1967

New York City, November 5th, 1967
An apartment in New York City that Governor Nelson Rockefeller owns. His brother, Winthrop Rockefeller, and Governor of Arkansas, is visiting, taking leave of his duties as Governor. They have just finished watching Governor Romney's announcement.
    Nelson: Well, Winthrop, what do you think?
    Winthrop: I don't know if he can win. With Goldwater taking the Conservative vote, I think Goldwater can ride that wave to the convention.
    Nelson: He can't win. His anti-war stances are now taboo in the party. We need another candidate. I myself would run, but after 1964, I don't know if the party would accept me.
    Winthrop: You could find a candidate to run in you place. Someone like Scranton in Pennsylvania or that mayor, Lindsay.
    Nelson: Nah. They're all old news. I think we need someone else.
    Winthrop: Well, who do you want running?
    Nelson: I was thinking you.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2010, 01:58:52 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2011, 09:43:02 PM by Cathcon »

January 20th, 1961
In his first day in office, President Richard Nixon has begun appointing cabinet members. Among those on his list for certain positions, some seem like obvious choices while others are seen as surprise picks. Some key appointments that have been revealed are listed below.

Secretary of the Treasury: Charles A Halleck
Secretary of Defense: Douglas MacArthur
Attorney General: John V Lindsay
Postmaster General: Prescott Bush
Secretary of the Interior: Harold Stassen
Secretary of Agriculture: Fred A Seaton
Secretary of Commerce: Ronald Reagan
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: Robert Finch
Secretary of Labor: George Shultz
National Security Adviser: Henry Kissinger

It is believed that some choices, such as those of House Minority Charles A Halleck, General Douglas MacArthur, and celebrity Ronald Reagan, are meant to appease Conservatives, while choices of Prescott Bush, Robert P Anderson, and John Lindsay, are meant to make peace with moderate. It is yet to be seen who Nixon's choice for Secretary of State is.

More to come...
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2010, 02:29:44 PM »

My head hurts. Too much time warping. I think it's the pelvic thrust that really drives me insane.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »

My head hurts. Too much time warping. I think it's the pelvic thrust that really drives me insane.

Sorry. After the 1968 election, it will mostly be linear.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2010, 05:02:21 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2010, 05:37:00 PM by Cathcon »

March 12, 1968; New Hampshire
Michigan Governor George Romney wins the New Hampshire Primary!
In a tough primary race between three well known candidate, Michigan Governor George Romney, running on an ardently anti-war platform, has scarped by with victory in the North-Eastern state of New Hampshire, which is the first of the Republican Primaries. However, the road to the convention will still be hard, going against two other major candidates plus favorite sons.

New Hampshire-the state that puts Governor George Romney on the map

To the State of New Hampshire, you have made this long shot dream at becoming the Republican nominee a success. To all you who have voted for me, I thank you, and I assure you that my campaign will go on all the way to the convention, where we will win!
          -George Romney's victory speech after his victory in the New Hampshire primary

Barry: We shouldn't even have expected a win.
    Ronnie: Don't worry. This is the North-East, the concentration of the Liberal establishment. There are other primaries. You'll win big in Florida and the West. Heck, you would even take California if it weren't for Finch.
    Barry: You're right. We're going to win this. I can feel it. Third time's the charm in this business.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2011, 07:39:10 PM by Cathcon »

June 11, 1968
With the wrapping up of the Republican Primaries in Illinois, today, a win for Governor Romney, it's time to head to the Republican National Convention where the true winner of the Republican nomination will be decided. The three major candidates are Governor George Romney of Michigan, Governor Wintrhop Rockefeller or Arkansas, and Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona. The nomination will most likely go to one of those three, though some in the convention might try to push Governor Robert Finch of California, a favorite son, for the nomination.

1968 Republican Primary Map

Dark Blue-Goldwater
Blue-Rockefeller
Light Blue-Romney
Light Green-Favorite Sons (James Rhodes-Ohio, Robert Finch-California)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »

Does anybody want to see the map for the Democratic Primaries before I move on and get done with the 1968 Presidential Election?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »

Does anybody want to see the map for the Democratic Primaries before I move on and get done with the 1968 Presidential Election?

I'd want to see it Wink
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »

I'd want to see it Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2010, 07:02:37 PM »

I'd want to see it Wink

Okay, that'll come soon.

Given that people like Tmthforu and Vasdul have complained about all the time warping, I'll only give one more flashback to pre-1965, a couple more updates on the election, then it'll be mostly linear from there on.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2010, 07:16:44 PM »

June 11, 1968
At the same time that the Republicans are going to the convention with no clear winner, the Illinois Primary wraps up for Democrats with another win for incumbent President John F Kennedy. He has faced challenges from both the Right and the Left of his party as he has held of the insurgent campaigns of former Alabama Governor George Wallace and Minnesota Senator Eugene McCarthy.

1968 Democratic Primary Map

Dark Red-Wallace
Red-Kennedy
Pink-McCarthy
Light Green-Favorite Sons (Ohio-Stephen Young)

At the Democratic National Convention, it is expected that President Kennedy will easily win by the third ballot because neither McCarthy or Wallace have establishment support and they are unwilling to 'join forces' against Kennedy given that they are from opposite ends of the party. With that in mind, Kennedy and Vice-President Sanford are expected to leave the convention successfully.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies