A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:17:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 288879 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »

July 22nd, 1972
Apollo 15 Reaches Moon!
At a time currently unavailable, Apollo 15 is reported to have landed. Pictures were taken out of the live feed sent back to NASA, however they are hazy and not of high quality. More pictures, and of better quality, are expected to arrive with the astronauts when they return home at the end of this month. Astronaut James Wordon is the first man to ever set foot on the face of the moon. All three; David Scott, james Irwin, and Alfred Wordon, are expected to be given the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Kennedy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »

Any complaints about my lack of historical accuracy at this point?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: January 09, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »

July 30th, 1972
Astronauts Return Home! Apollo 15 A Success!
At 6:03 Eastern Standard Time, the three astronauts of Apollo 15; David Scott, James Irwin, and Alfred Woodon, landed in Los Angeles after having been flown in from the Pacific Ocean via helicopter after their landing in the Pacific Ocean. It is expected that they will all receive Presidential Medals of Freedom. Pictures brought back are below.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 06:58:48 PM by Cathcon »

August 4th, 1972

Look, you're doomed at the convention. You, Nixon, and Hatfield will all go down in flames. I'm the only one with a chance.

Your run was unforgivable. You helped doom my chances in Ohio. you and Hatfield both betrayed me.

If I hadn't run, we all know who would have the nomination by now! We've been over this. Reagan would've swept every one of those primaries except for maybe Ohio and one other state. That's it! I saved our wing of the party!

Hmmmm...

Look, I'll pick a fellow moderate Southerner, and people like Scranton and Ford will get cabinet positions. We've got to stop Reagan and his radical domestic policies.

I'll call you.

August 5th, 1972
Rockefeller Drops Out! Pledges All Delegates to Agnew!
Yesterday, after having talked with his advisers, New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller announced that he would be dropping out of his candidacy for the Republican nomination. He has announced that his endorsement if Maryland Governor Sprio T Agnew, a friend of his, and someone he called a 'Real Reformer'. Currently, the waves are being felt as Agnew is close to toppling Reagan's delegate lead. No word has come from the Nixon, Reagan, or Hatfield campaigns.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2011, 05:08:39 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 06:59:04 PM by Cathcon »

August 6th, 1972

By now, of course, you've heard about what that bastard Rockefeller did?

Of course, Dick.

What are you going to do about it?

I'll fight as best I can to beat Agnew.

That's it? You're going to need more than that!

Have you seen Kennedy's approvals? If a candidate as lack-luster as Agnew wins the nomination, Sanford will take that election! In 1976, I'll be the natural candidate.

Don't be so sure of that...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 06:59:25 PM by Cathcon »

August 9th, 1972
Nixon Endorses Agnew!
After an drawn out primary season and the lead-up to the convention, the momentum that Senator Reagan had going in seems to have been reversed as Maryland Governor Sprio T Agnew has picked up another major endorsement. Former President Nixon, who attempted a come back by running for the nomination a third time, ahs decide to drop out and endorse Governor Agnew, claiming that the Governor is 'a viable alternative to the radicalism of Senator Reagan'. It seems now that Reagan will have to stage one large conventino fight to successfuly take the nomination.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »

Comments, Questions, Critiques, Complaints, Compliments?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2011, 06:38:14 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2011, 02:28:24 PM by Cathcon »

With the Moon Landing, I felt vindicated. I had accomplished many things as President, most of which were in my second term. I created the Environmental Protection Agency, I passed the Civil Rights Act of 1969, I won in Vietnam, I passed pieces of the Great Society, and I put Man on the Moon. However, that entire time, there was a continuing split between the Liberals, the Moderates, and the Conservatives, though it had died down considerably after the primary season. I hoped it woudl stay that way all the way through, and that Schmitz's campaign would hurt the Republicans the most.
-A Second Chance-The Story of 1964 and the years following, John F Kennedy (c) 1974

I had actually been one of the first people asked to be Sanford's Vice-President. There had been speculation as I had been one of the most active members of the administration. However, I was concentrated on winning Edward Brooke's Senate seat. Later, I realized that that tooke me farther more than I knew.
-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy, (c) 1984

With Sanford's nomination, a symbol of the man, Kennedy, who we had grown to despise because of his actions in Vietnam, we knew we had to do something. Sanford might have been 'Liberal', however at heart he was just like Kennedy. The first step was to call EPA Director Ralph Nader.
-The Death of the Democrats, Mike Gravel, (c) 1996

When I saw the headline "Nixon Endorses Agnew", I was ready to burst. I was thinking 'Have we been campaigning since 1971, have we won a plurality of the primaries, have we worked so hard, for this!?'. I called Edwin Meese. We knew we'd have to work overtime that night, and several other nights leading up to the convention that month. Meanwhile, if Meese and I were able to push Reagan through, we still didn't know how the South was going to go, and who that bastard Schmitz was going to choose for Vice-President.
-Right From the Beginning, Patrick J Buchanan, (c) 1987

When George got the call from Agnew, I think he was taken completely by surprise. He said he'd have to think about it, and from what I heard from his family, he was locked in his study all night. At that point, we didn't even know if Agnew woudl be nominated or not. George called Agnew early the next morning and said that he woudl accept if Agnew were to win the nomination. However, he wanted no prior announcement about it. That call was the slow entering into the abyss we call the Presidency. Once again, we had no idea where we woudl go.
-What the Man was Made of, James Baker, (c) 1999
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2011, 07:12:50 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 07:30:11 PM by Cathcon »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2011, 07:22:13 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2011, 07:24:22 PM by Cathcon »

August 29th, 1972
Schmitz Announces VP Choice!
With the nomination of moderate-to-Conservative Governor Sprio T Agnew of Maryland on the Republican ticket as oppsed to Conservative Senator Ronald Reagan of California, Congressman John Schmitz has announced that his Independent ticket will have Conservative Republican Congressman John Ashbrook on it. Though he lacks name recognition, and is certainly weaker than possible picks such as George Wallace, he will attract Conservatives to the ticket.

Congressman John Ashbrook of Ohio - John Schmitz's choice for Vice-President

Who do you prefer for President?
Vice-President Terry Sanford/Senator Hubert H Humphrey (D)-49%
Governor Spiro T Agnew/Senator George Bush (R)-43%
Congressman John Schmitz/Congressman John Ashbrook (I)-5%
Undecided/Other-2%
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »

Any thoughts on the election? Sanford/Humphrey vs. Agnew/Bush vs. Schmitz/Ashbrook and a fourth option may enter.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:11 PM »

September 1st, 1972
A Fourth Ticket?
Earlier today, in an interview with former presidential contender Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska, when asked about possibly running for President as an Independent, the Senator reportedly said, off the record:

'Now, I don't know about me, but one of my friends might.'

It is unknown whether this is true or not, however if it is, speculation shifts to such Liberals as Senator Euguene McCarthy of Minnesota, Senator George McGovern of South Dakota, and Senator Frank Church of Idaho, all of which were Gravel supporters during the primaries. One must also wonder about EPA Director Ralph Nader who himself alluded to a 3rd Party bid.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #237 on: January 09, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »

Coming Up: The Munich Massacre
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #238 on: January 09, 2011, 07:51:43 PM »

Comments, Questions, Critiques, Complaints, Compliments?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2011, 11:22:44 AM »

Interesting VP nominee... will he die before the election? xD
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #240 on: January 10, 2011, 02:58:18 PM »

Which one? Ashbrook, Bush, or Hubert H Humphrey?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #241 on: January 10, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »

ashbrook hahaha,... I think he died while running for senate, am I right?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #242 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:43 PM »

I don't know, but I do know he died in 1982, ten years later. And in real life, he ran for the Republican nomination in 1972, so I don't think he'd die.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #243 on: January 10, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

Any other opinions?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:26 AM »

You're right Julio. Ashbrook was campaigning for the Republican nomination to decide their candidate for the 1982 senate election in Ohio, and died suddenly aged only 53. Polls had him in the lead and stood a serious chance against Metzenbaum.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2011, 03:12:43 PM »

You're right Julio. Ashbrook was campaigning for the Republican nomination to decide their candidate for the 1982 senate election in Ohio, and died suddenly aged only 53. Polls had him in the lead and stood a serious chance against Metzenbaum.

Any opinion of the recent developments?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »

September 5th, 1972
Hostages Taken in Munich!
During the 1972 Olympic Games, the Israeli selegation was taken hostage by a number of Palestinian terrorists. Believed to be part of the 'Fedayeen', militant groups in the Arab World, they have demanded that 234 Palestinians and Arabs imprisoned in Israel be given safe passage to Egypt. The Israeli government as well as the West German government are attempting to rescue the hostages, and President Kennedy is working with his cabinet.

Luckily for Kennedy, Secretary of State Jackson just returned from his Eastern tour and is in Washington DC able to lend his experience in foreign affairs to help solve the problem, as well as use connections forged in his Eastern tour. Whitehouse Press Secretary Pierre Salinger has said that the President will not be taking any questions. He is reportedly on the 'hot line' with international leaders.

One of the hostage takers
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2011, 03:36:44 PM »

Well, the next couple of days will be a hell of a ride for our favorite characters here at 'A Second Chance'.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »

September 5th, 1972
The War Room...
    Jack: F#ck!
    Connally: Only word in the state of Texas to describe the situation...
    Jackson: Or in Boeing...
    Kennedy: F#ck! At least it's not Americans.
    Bobby: Maybe it would be best to stay out of this. If we officially work to free the Israelis, then that opens up a whole pile of the stuff in the Middle East.
    Jackson: At least we have Jordan on board. We can not abandon Israel
 in this. We have to be their ally, because they don't have any.
    Connally: This is just a steaming pile of sh**t about as big as Texas.
    Jack: Well, we need a solution. We'll be in communication with Western Germany and Israel throughout this. We won't abandon Israel, and we'll have their backs in this. Palestine can't get away with this, or it'll be a disgrace.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2011, 06:24:44 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2011, 06:31:03 PM by Cathcon »

Jack had been content. It would be his last year in office and you could tell the last seven years had taken a chunk out of him that he might never get back. Cabinet meetings were filled with mroe rage and personal opinions he had become more strongly negative. The youthful brother that I had stood close to as he accepted the 1960 Democratic nomination for President was no longer there. The Presidency had made him angry and bitter at Republicans and Democrats alike as he forged his own path.

However, when news from Munich reached him that the Israeli athletes had been taken hostage by Palestinian terrorists, he came out of his temporary state of contentment. Being Jack, he felt compelled to take charge of the situation and to emerge a hero, just as he had been doing since World War II. He favored a direct approach to the problem while I had offered solutions that in today's world would be seen as much more 'unorthodox', including our own retaliatory hostage taking. However, Jack had long strayed from my advice, whether good or bad, and took his own approach aided by Secretaries Jackson and Connally.

-In My Defense, Robert F Kennedy, (c) 1984
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies