A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:03:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 47
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 289252 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #750 on: October 07, 2011, 04:21:47 PM »

Forgive me for taking a week to comment, but that was a great update Smiley Cant wait for more.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #751 on: October 07, 2011, 04:58:43 PM »

Forgive me for taking a week to comment, but that was a great update Smiley Cant wait for more.

Thanks. Smiley I haven't really had time to update this past week and given how detailed I want the updates to be, given that this is RFK vs. Reagan and I want readers to be able to experience that like a voter of the time might, it would take a lot of time to come up with another update for the debate, though I hope to do so this weekend, which has a long to-do list attached to it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #752 on: October 15, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »

Bump!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #753 on: October 15, 2011, 10:43:45 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2011, 11:05:25 AM by Cathcon »

"Coming out of the debate, Reagan was seen as the clear winner. While Kennedy had regained his feet on foreign policy and had stressed the importance of welfare reform, the economy seemed to be the dominating issue. It seemed that inflation was no longer an issue, however, high unemployment was destroying the approvals that Kennedy had left.

As for McCarthy, he came out of the debate better than ever, polling solidly in Minnesota and Wisconsin as usual, as well as some shaky results saying he could take Alaska and Iowa. Reagan however, had the clear lead in the polls leading up to election day, and barring some great surprise, people working for all three candidates felt they knew how the night was going to turn out. Reagan's closing remarks "Are you better off than you were four years ago? Do you view your leaders as better, more competent, more honest than when you last went to the polls four years ago? Do you feel we've improved as a nation from four years ago? Is it easier now to feed your family than it was four years ago?" had hit a note with the country."
-Veil; The Presidency of Bobby Kennedy, Bob Woodward, 1987

November 4th, 1980
Campaign

This is our map for the evening. Red represents a Democratic win, a state taken by President Kennedy. Blue is a state taken by Governor Reagan, the Republican. Green represents states taken by Senator McCarthy who has launched an Independent bid, yellow is for states whose polls have closed but are too close to call, and gray is for still polling.

The map is divided into six time zones. While here in New York, it's just before eight o'clock, in other areas of the country, it's seven, six, five, four, and even three o'clock in the afternoon in Hawaii.
That means that the polls in eastern states will close sooner than the polls in western states, and we'll be seeing Hawaii's results around five hours after the results for a state such as say our own New York.

The Reagan campaign headquarters in Sacramento California...
    Buchanan: Well, it's gonna be a hell of a night, I can tell ya that.
    Rove: Judging from some of the data I've been looking at, we should be hitting the needed number before the map's reached California.
    Buchanan: Wow. Just wow. Six years ago, it was said that with Agnew going down, Republicans were dead. When Bobby Kennedy re-appeared, they said he was going to one of the greatest Presidents, even better than his brother. Now this.
    Rove: I'm certainly aware. The surprising thing is our numbers among young people. Hatfield certainly seems to have drawn them in and Kennedy is losing a large amount to McCarthy. McCarthy should in no way hurt us in the West, and we're solid in the East. The South is the battlefield.
    Buchanan: Think we'll finally get the South?
    Rove: I honestly don't know. The Deep South has been softening up for us since 1972, but North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, heck Pat, even Georgia, Florida, and Texas, all have strong Democratic leans. If Kennedy had a Southerner on the bottom of the ticket, the South would be going for him easily. It's only due to a lack of a Southerner and Reagan's popularity down there that it's the battleground.
    Buchanan: Ah... well drink up. It's gonna be a Hell of a night, I tell ya.

Meanwhile, in a different section of the building...
    Goldwater: ...Bobby Kennedy is a tricky bastard. Don't count him out until you've reached 270-
    Aide: Governor, there's a call for George Bush!
    Reagan: Oh thanks. Barry, if you'll excuse me.
    Goldwater: Of course.
    Reagan: George! How have things been going down in Texas?
    Bush: Well, actually, I'm in Kennebunkport right now. If you want to know about Texas, talk to Junior. I'd just like to wish you luck. I had a rough time going up against Bobby four years ago. My Presidency... what a string of bad luck.
    Reagan: Oh c'mon now. It was you who was able to beat inflation, not Kennedy. It was you who restored confidence to the Presidency after Agnew. It was you who went into Palestine to defend American interests.
    Bush: That might be all well and good. But don't you remember the nomination race? Heck, they were calling for you to step in.
    Reagan: Heh. I still need to apologize for endorsing Thompson.
    Bush: No need. I've long since forgotten any political grudge or disputes. You know, I was actually thinking two years ago, that I should sit out this race and let a Republican lose, and come back in 1984. How times've changed.
    Reagan: Well, that is most certainly true. It's not too late y'know. They haven't even started calling states yet.
    Bush: From what I see on television, they're about to.
    Aide: Governor Reagan! Governor Reagan! They've started calling states!
    Reagan: I've just been informed. I'll see you around, George.
    Bush: Bye Ron.
    Goldwater: Let's get out there.

"...And we can call the states of New Hampshire and Vermont for Governor Reagan and the state of Massachusetts for President Kennedy. This is no surprise. New Hampshire and Vermont are traditional Republican states, and Massachusetts is as you all know, President Kennedy's home state...

President Kennedy/Vice-President McGovern: 14 electoral votes
Governor Reagan/Senator Hatfield: 7 electoral votes
Senator McCarthy/Senator Gravel: 0 electoral votes
Too Close to Call: 88 electoral votes
Still Polling: 429 electoral votes
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #754 on: October 15, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »

I assume you mean Senator McCarthy/Senator Gravel at the bottom Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #755 on: October 15, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »

I assume you mean Senator McCarthy/Senator Gravel at the bottom Wink

Oops!
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #756 on: October 15, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »

Love ya Eugene, but we can't let Ronnie win. Kennedy 1980!
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #757 on: October 15, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »

What network is doing the call's? My guess is CBS. But besides that it looks good
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #758 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51:43 AM »

What network is doing the call's? My guess is CBS. But besides that it looks good

I actually haven't found some footage to base this on besides a Reagan victory clip. Do you know a vid that covers the night's highlights?
netzero19
Rookie

« Reply #759 on: October 15, 2011, 01:25:02 PM »

NBC:

youtube.com/watch?v=PsDe-8cOSYY&feature=related

CBS:

youtube.com/watch?v=QAZizwwZYLA&feature=related
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #760 on: October 15, 2011, 02:23:30 PM »

NBC:

youtube.com/watch?v=PsDe-8cOSYY&feature=related

CBS:

youtube.com/watch?v=QAZizwwZYLA&feature=related

Yeah, I looked at these. From what I could tell, they were pretty much from after the race was completed or at least after Reagan got 270. I'll take another look at CBS as I didn't watch the whole thing, but from what I remember, it begins with Carter's concession speech.
netzero19
Rookie

« Reply #761 on: October 15, 2011, 06:29:02 PM »

I've tried looking for other 1980 stuff but there's not much on Youtube unfortunately.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #762 on: October 15, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

I've tried looking for other 1980 stuff but there's not much on Youtube unfortunately.

Yeah. So, until tomorrow or whenever I make a decision as to whether it's CBS or NBC, as far as anybody's concerned, it's whatever network they want it to be. Update coming, but the coverage itself will be scant due to lack of decision as to which network will be doing it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #763 on: October 15, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »

Waitwaitwaitwait- Can't believe I messed up this single detail! Do polls close at seven or eight? I assumed it was eight, but 1976, an election I already screwed up enough, looks to have had their polls close at seven.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #764 on: October 20, 2011, 06:56:31 PM »

Iconic Image of the three candidates of the 1980 Election
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #765 on: October 29, 2011, 10:54:10 PM »

I hope to update tomorrow.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #766 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:41 AM »

I hope so, too.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #767 on: October 30, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »

Looks like I'll be wingin' it, and looks like y'all will have NBC covering your news.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #768 on: October 30, 2011, 08:44:15 AM »

New York City...
    Brokaw ...Meanwhile, in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, President Kennedy says he has a firm belief that this election will be a referendum on his accomplishments and that he shall win, not to count him out until every vote is counted. Some are saying this is him trying to keep turnout as high as possible for Democrats, especially in the Western states where there'll need it given the margins Reagan seems to be polling by.
    Chancellor: Yes Tom. We now go back to the results where it seems more are pouring in. We have not yet hit the closing time of polls in places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas, or Texas or any of those states, but here in the East there are still a great number of states that need to be called. New York still hasn't officially closed its polls with people still in line waiting to vote, but other states are trying to quickly tally up their state's winner.
    Brokaw: One thing of note is the effect independent candidate Eugene McCarthy will have, mainly on the turnout for President Kennedy. McCarthy seems to have stolen many of the very liberal Democrats that Kennedy has relied on in the past, and this confounds Kennedy's already present problems. However, despite this, the President seems to have picked up his poll numbers in the South. It seems that with Reagan choosing a Vice-President not liked by many Southern Republicans, that the Democratic South might even make a comeback tonight, though Reagan himself is still popular down there.
    Chancellor: Yes. It seems that there is decreased Republican turnout in the South. It wasn't believed that Kennedy could duplicate his 1976 victories in states like Georgia and North Carolina, but it appears he just may. Both of those states are too close to call and Kennedy has invested a large amount of money in the more moderate Southern states. Speaking of which, we are now able to make some more calls. In South Carolina, despite Strom Thurmond's support, Kennedy is unable to pull off a victory. Governor Reagan can give himself another eight electoral votes. The same goes for Virginia where Reagan has a more than solid victory. Meanwhile, up North, the state of Connecticut is going to President Kennedy. This is an improvement on his 1976 performance when he lost the state. However, Reagan we all know doesn't have the same amount of strength in the North-East that Bush did. The polls in Maryland and Delaware have finally closed their doors and they as well are too close to call. We are still waiting on the lines in New Jersey and New York to finally disperse so we can get to the winners in those states. In Maine as well, one of its Congressional Districts has cast its vote for Governor Reagan while the rest of the state is surprisingly closer than its neighbor New Hampshire. Also, the state of Virginia, a Democratic stronghold, votes once again for President Kennedy. This is just as the hour is ending and we are expecting new results soon. Let's go to the map.

President Kennedy/Vice-President McGovern: 35 electoral votes
Governor Reagan/Senator Hatfield: 28 electoral votes
Senator McCarthy/Senator Gravel: 0 electoral votes
Too Close to Call: 93 electoral votes
Still Polling: 382 electoral votes

Hyannis Port...
    Kennedy: Well, I can count that last minute sweep through the South as worthless.
    Shriver: Don't worry about it. You've still got the rest of the South to go. South Carolina's been going Republican the last two elections. It's the other Southern states we have to worry about.
    Kennedy: You expect me not to worry? We're down, not just down, but horribly down in the polls and you expect me not to worry? I shouldn't be worried that the solid Democratic state of Pennsylvania is too close to call?
    Shriver: Look, you took Connecticut so as far as we're concerned, you've improved on your numbers. that's eight more electoral votes than last time around. It's quite obvious whatever we do isn't going to change the results, so we might as well not hate every moment of this.
    Kennedy: **Sigh** You're right. Where's Jack by the way?
    Shriver: No idea. His portion of the Secret Service isn't here either. Probably wandering about, doing what you know he usually does.
    Kennedy: He's too weak for that and you know it. Been to weak for five years. The lifestyle he liked to live has been impossible for five damn years.
    Shriver: Well at least Teddy still gets to have fun.
(Both look back towards a table in the room where Teddy lies fast asleep, a bottle of Bourbon clutched in his arms)
    Kennedy: Assuming he can remember any of it. Any news from Pat?
    Shriver: Cadell's hanging around somewhere. You heard his prediction. Reagan land-slide he said.
    Kennedy: You know if any of this changes it?
    Shriver: I've got some projections on this clipboard of mine. (hands over some papers)
    Kennedy: We seem to be beating most of his "worst case scenario" projections by good margins.
    Shriver: That isn't saying much.
    Kennedy: I'm going to see what Ethel and the kids are up to.
    Shriver: And leave me in here all alone?
    Kennedy: Relax. You still have Teddy.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #769 on: October 30, 2011, 10:14:37 AM »

I love the little bit about former President Kennedy, his health never was good. Ted is...Ted.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #770 on: October 30, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

Line about Ted is best TL line ever. No,seriously.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #771 on: October 30, 2011, 01:12:53 PM »

Crap. Somehow an update got deleted by me typing the wrong thing or something. This tends to whipe out my motivation, so one might not be up for a couple hours.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #772 on: October 30, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »

New York City...
    Brokaw: And we're back with more NBC election night coverage of Decision 1980. I'm Tom Brokaw.
    Chancellor: And I'm John Chancellor. Progressing into eight o'clock, we have a new round of projections to make with some of the eight o'clock states being called and more polls closing around the nation. First, one of the more interesting developments, independent liberal candidate Eugene McCarthy has won his home state of Minnesota by over 50% of the vote. That's right, Eugene McCarthy has taken a state.
    Brokaw: Now, in the last twenty years or so, independent and third party candidates taking states has become more of a common place occurrence. First unpledged electors in 1960, then the Dixiecrats in 1964 and 1968. In 1972, John Schmitz, a California Congressman launched an independent conservative bid that won Alabama and Mississippi. However, it is true that such things were thought to be dying down, especially with the two-way race of 1976 and the fact that the third party that did the best that year, the Conservative party, got just over a third of a percentage point.
    Chancellor: Moving onto other calls we have to make, the traditionally Republican states of Kansas and Oklahoma once again cast their votes for the Republican candidate, this year Governor Reagan. Moving to the Mid-West, Indiana and Kentucky have finally voted, both choosing Governor Reagan. in fact, there are only two states that can be called for President Kennedy. Maryland and North Carolina both cast their votes for the President, and Reagan notably has taken the state of Mississippi. All others are either too close to call or still polling as of the moment.
    Brokaw: There are a couple of regions to be watching tonight throughout this race. One is the rural Mid-West and the North-West. Early on in the campaign McCarthy was polling well there and still is for an independent candidate. However, with Hatfield's presence, much of McCarthy's numbers in both of those spots have diminished. Despite that, those two regions are the places most likely to go for McCarthy tonight. His only strong spot East of Minnesota is Wisconsin, the polls of which have yet to close. The other is, as previously mentioned, the South. Some interesting numbers are coming out of Alabama showing Kennedy with a slight but at this point insignificant lead. Many attribute this not to the President, but to the popularity of Senate candidate Jim Folsom Jr., the Democrat, who early on was projected the winner of his race. He is responsible for the high Democratic and pro-Kennedy turnout that seems to be giving Kennedy an opening in this state which hasn't been kind to the Kennedys in the past. The last region really in question is the Industrial Mid-West. Despite big labor being behind Kennedy nearly 100%, blue collar workers themselves are dis-enchanted with the Kennedys and Reagan's populist rhetoric has given him a good boost. The third party candidacy of McCarthy has also served to throw off meaningful predictions of how the region will vote.
    Chancellor: Right, and we now go to the map.

President Kennedy/Vice-President McGovern: 58
Governor Reagan/Senator Hatfield: 72
Senator McCarthy/Senator Gravel: 10
Too Close to Call: 157
Still Polling: 241

Minneapolis...
    McCarthy: Well, we've taken Minnesota.
    [LaDonna] Harris: One down, fifty to go. Well not really.
    McCarthy: Did you ever think we had a chance.
    Harris: Not really my place to say. When I signed on, I decided to fight as hard as possible and get as many votes for you and Mike that I could.
    McCarthy: Do you think you'll succeed?
    Harris: No. There's always that one or more voter that you could get but you haven't, no matter how hard you try. However, I think we'll do reasonably well tonight. You?
    McCarthy: I'm optimistic. At least I've taken Minnesota. It'll be nice going to bed knowing I've taken at least ten votes from him.
    Harris: "Him"? Which one, Kennedy or Reagan?
    McCarthy: Kennedy. I have nothing personal against Reagan. At least he has an actual set of beliefs. Kennedy has none except want for power and political survival.
    Harris: Do you think Reagan will do better than Kennedy?
    McCarthy: In all honesty, no. What I do think, however, is that when the dust settles, the Kennedys will be beaten and have accepted their place in history. This gives room for a fully manifested revolution in 1984. If Kennedy won re-election, he doubtlessly would ruin 1984 for the Democrats. Now? The "moderate heroes" will have had their shot and it'll be time for a true Progressive next time around.
    Harris: Quite the vision.
    McCarthy: Thanks.
    Harris: If you don't mind, I'm going to find Fred [Harris].
    McCarthy: Feel free.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #773 on: October 30, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

are winona laduke and ladonna harris the same person?? haha...
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #774 on: November 04, 2011, 08:57:02 PM »

New York City...
    Brokaw:Welcome back, viewers, to Decision 1980! We now have David Brinkley in the studio here with us to bring us up to speed with the results pouring in from the Eastern half of the United States of America!
    Brinkley: Thank you Tom. There are seven, I repeat seven, new states to call for this election, a total of nearly 130 electoral votes being rewarded. Alongside that are a number of states still too close to call at the current time. The first state on the list is Maine, which is sticking with its Republican roots and voting for Governor Reagan. This is with over 80% of all precincts reporting in. Now, Governor Reagan had some trouble in this state, but it appears it will go for the Republican nominee like it has so many times in the past. Following that, another Republican state is called. Louisiana, with 43% of all precincts reporting in, can be safely called for the Governor. This state has gone Republican in the last two elections and looks likely to stay that way. A good sign for President Kennedy, he has won Michigan. We had believed that if the President failed to win Michigan, he would have no way of winning the election. However, there it is, a Kennedy victory. This state, which voted Republican in 1968 and 1972 and voted solidly Democrat in 1976, was a bit shaky but is in the President's column, giving him 21 more electoral votes. Electoral votes are what win an election. As everyone knows but often forgets, it takes 270 electoral votes to win an election, not the majority of the popular vote. Following this, our exit pollsters are reporting a narrow Kennedy victory in Pennsylvania, and we have the numbers to back that up, with 76% of precincts reporting. The last time this state voted Republican was 1956 and the Democratic streak continues tonight. Its neighboring state, New Jersey, was determined shortly after, only minutes ago. A more Democratic than not state, it is a bad sign for President Kennedy, but he can still win this election. Lastly, and most importantly, the swing state of Ohio, a state which will normally go for the winner of the election, is going for Reagan by an originally close but by now decisive margin. Those are all the calls NBC has to make at this time.
    Chancellor: Thanks, David. This recent wave of states is leaving it in the minds of many pundits that the election will go for Governor Reagan. The end of the hour is fast approaching, and with it, a new wave of states reporting in as well as likely progress on the states we're currently looking at for results.
    Brokaw: Yes. Right now, Illinois seems close to being called either for President Kennedy or Governor Reagan. It's important to remember that, in the case of the Kennedys in a general election, Illinois has gone for the winner. In 1960 when John F Kennedy faced Nixon a first time, Illinois helped give Nixon victory. Since then, every time a Kennedy has been on a national ticket, that ticket has won and taking with it Illinois. It will be very telling should Illinois cast its 26 electoral votes for Governor Reagan. We'll have more of Decision 1980 after this.

President Kennedy/Vice-President McGovern: 106
Governor Reagan/Senator Hatfield: 152
Too Close to Call: 144
Still Polling: 126 electoral votes

Sacramento...
    Audience: **Applause**
    Meese: Well Ron, you've taken Ohio. Meanwhile, Karl's been saying, enough Liberal support is being taken from Kennedy in Illinois. If we get that, Kennedy should be finished no problem.
    Reagan: Thanks Ed. It sure is a good night for this country.
    Meese: You're telling me! the Kennedys have been on every Democratic since 1960 barring only one! A total of five tickets in six election years.
    Reagan: You know, I worked with Bobby in the Senate and before that when Jack was President. Very committed, not the most talkative of  Senators, certainly. Jack won re-election. I imagine that's got to be very hard to take for Bobby, much more of a committed and idea-filled man than Jack to go down in flames. I guess he's not the teflon President Jack was.
    Meese: Neither of them were every very honest. Bobby's the one that got caught.
    Reagan: Very true. Has Casey or anyone called Hatfield to remind him he should be prepared to take the mantle of Vice-President-elect sometime soon?
    Meese: And just earlier this evening you were saying not to count Kennedy out!
    Reagan: Heh. I guess so. It's just something in the air. I can't describe it Ed. We're going to do well. Very well.

New York City...
    Chancellor: Welcome back to yet another segment of Decision 1980! Right now, we are reporting no new calls yet, but within the next few minutes, we should be hearing from a couple more states-
    Brokaw: Uh, Tom, I've just been told that Illinois is ready to be called for Reagan.
    Chancellor: Another Reagan victory? I guess by now, President Kennedy should be running scared. With a Republican victory in Illinois, the first since 1960, it looks very realistic that President Kennedy could be going to be early tonight.
    Brokaw: Let's go that map again to give our viewers an idea of where the election stands thus far.

President Kennedy/Vice-President McGovern: 106
Governor Reagan/Senator Hatfield: 178
Too Close to Call: 121
Still Polling: 123 electoral votes

Brokaw: And that's it for the hour! With the states of Georgia getting ready to be called and a new time zone opening up for the calling, ten o'clock will be very interesting!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies