A Second Chance - CONCLUSION (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Second Chance - CONCLUSION (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should I go on?
Yes

I don't care

No

Hell No!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 105

Author Topic: A Second Chance - CONCLUSION  (Read 289338 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« on: November 28, 2010, 07:31:55 PM »

I like flashbacks and flashforwards. Flashforwards are in particular, very cool for TLs.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 08:16:16 PM »

I like them too when done properly. This timeline, unfortunately, did it too often and with poor execution, in my opinion. I originally thought that the first post was a "teaser" for 1968, and that the timeline would be mostly linear from then on (a concept which I rather liked).

Agreed. Have you checked out some TLs on Alternate History Discussion? There are quite a few on there that use flashbacks and flashforwards very effectively. Make sure to check out Fight and Be Right. It's by a guy called Ed Thomas. He is a master at using flashforwards to create intrigue; which is used very effectively.

In this timeline, however, the overuse of flashbacks and flashforwards led to two major drawbacks:

1.) It made the events much more difficult to follow, and
2.) It eliminated suspense. For example, after the initial post and the first few updates, we already knew:
    A.)Nixon won in 1960.
    B.)Kennedy defeated Nixon in 1964.
    C.)Kennedy was involved in close reelection campaign against George Romney in 1968, and
    D.)What the hot issues were in the 1968 campaign.

Most of the rest of the updates since then were only filler- we knew what the end results would be.

Yes, it did make the TL redundant but I commend him for trying. Though it may have been best if the previous presidential campaigns of 1960 and 1964, even, more recently Kennedy's re-election were inferred in conversation. Speeds up the process, while being unique.

So, in conclusion, while I agree that flashbacks and flashforwards can be interesting to add to a timeline, the author must be judicious in their use.

Agreed, again. Perhaps, you Vazdul showcase your own abilities at some stage Smiley
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »

January 23rd, 1961
Nixon Announces His Choice for Secretary of State! Senator Margaret Chase Smith of Maine!
This afternoon, new President Richard Nixon announced his choice for Secretary of State. After three days of no clear sign of announcing his choice, the name has come forth. It is Senator Margaret Chase Smith of New Hampshire, who is not only the most prominent female politician of our time, but has also had a long career in Congress and worked on the House Naval Affairs Committee furing World War II. Response is mixed on the choice, but generally positive.

Correction: Smith was from Maine. Unless that was the dramatic POD: Smith moves to New Hampshire.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 03:47:52 AM »

I've been following this timeline for awhile now, and I must say, I like it a lot - though the continued capitalisation of 'liberal' and 'conservative' is annoying me a fair bit. Nevertheless, currently it's one of the better ones on these boards; an amazing feet for a relative newbie.

Anyway, a Heston/Reagan race would be really fascinating, though I doubt Heston would be able to attain the nomination due to his inexperience and running in a crowded field. So, I'm guessing it'll be a Sanford/Reagan race. Should be interesting times indeed!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 02:43:28 AM »

Speed up the primary season, it's getting tedious!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 05:55:26 AM »

Interesting VP nominee... will he die before the election? xD

Which one? Ashbrook, Bush, or Hubert H Humphrey?

ashbrook hahaha,... I think he died while running for senate, am I right?

You're right Julio. Ashbrook was campaigning for the Republican nomination to decide their candidate for the 1982 senate election in Ohio, and died suddenly aged only 53. Polls had him in the lead and stood a serious chance against Metzenbaum.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:01:25 PM »

Gah! This still happens! I am not impressed.

If anything, you could have at least given the Olympics to Madrid, Montrael or Detriot.

Still interesting, though.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 11:02:46 PM by Robespierre's Jaw »

282-240-16

Though I was expecting something, more or less along these lines...

298-240

Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »

Thanks, though I might do one with popular vote, and showing the faithless electors.

Remember this when editing and/or creating EV maps:

1=Democratic
2=Republican
3=Green
4=Yellow

It's how I was able to include the Schmitz totals Smiley \

Though splitting Louisana, or any state that's split their EV totals, I would assume, would be quite a bitch. But it's close enough!

Even more changes would be nice; perhaps more reference to international affairs. You could worsen the 1970s shitstorm - always a fun thought!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies