Will the Korean peninsula be one nation by the end of the decade?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:08:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will the Korean peninsula be one nation by the end of the decade?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will Korea be reunified by the end of the decade?
Yes

No, both will remain

No, China will absorb DPRK

No, but a new North Korean government will be established

No, because of... other (please specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Will the Korean peninsula be one nation by the end of the decade?  (Read 2473 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:23:11 PM »
« edited: November 30, 2010, 06:35:24 PM by Degenerate Puss Eater »

Yes.  A decade is probably a conservative estimate, too.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:24:12 PM »

Lol no
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:41 PM »

Economic problems make reunification unfeasible.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 06:41:29 PM »

The only way I can see it happening is if there's a war that topples the North Korean regime.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »

I'll be able to adequately understand Tom Waits by the time Korea is unified.

Anyway, the PRC may be annoyed at it's 'spoilt little child', but by no means would it turn it's back on the North Koreans. There's a thing called territorial integrity, and they wouldn't want to damage that. So what are they trying to salvage instead? It's international standing - promoting dialogue between the North and South.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 08:04:18 PM »

No.  After all, we must stand with our North Korean allies.
seanobr
Rookie
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2010, 08:06:23 PM by seanobr »

Without sounding apathetic to the plight of the North Korean people, I think the mistake is approaching this question with the preconception that reunification under South Korean leadership in the immediate term is the most desirable outcome.  It might be what we intend to achieve as a proper, ethical resolution to the conflict, but the rift between the two is simply astronomical: amplify the divide between East and West Germany by a factor of ten and you may begin to approach the socio-economic separation of present day North and South Korea.  The only commonalities on the peninsula are ethnicity and family; North Korea never recovered from its devastating famine at the close of the last decade, while South Korea is nearing the top-ten in the Human Development Index.  Japan and the West would be attempting to amalgamate two nations that couldn't be farther apart on any statistical metric into one, and the end result of such a fusion could be disastrous.

In the event of an offensive war (perpetrated by either party) or internal regime collapse, I agree it would be the most logical result.  However, I still believe it's completely improbable, despite Chun Yung-Woo's claim and the Chinese government's purported change of opinion on the matter.  The cost of reunification to South Korea would be so punitive, creating an economic disturbance that would reverberate throughout the the international community, that everyone involved will likely actively discourage and try to avert such a prospect until it is the only possible option.

A Chinese-led program of liberalization inside North Korea, with something resembling Mao's abortive Hundred Flowers Campaign and the broad adoption of special economic areas; preserving the country's independence while establishing a placeholder government in Pyongyang until such a time that reunification is more tenable; or creating a U.N. protectorate in its place are all alternatives that would progress us toward reunification while insulating South Korea from the physical and economic burden of rehabilitating North Korea.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 08:07:56 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is one Sarah Palin quote I will never forget. 
seanobr
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 08:12:59 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is one Sarah Palin quote I will never forget. 

Along with South Africa, wasn't it one of the political and geographic concepts that she could not comprehend during the McCain campaign?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 08:16:01 PM »

12/31/10, I doubt it.

I would say probable by 12/31/20.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »

12/31/10, I doubt it.

I would say probable by 12/31/20.

With the decline of thinking capabilities on economics in the First World, I wouldn't not be surprised to see North Korea being the one backed by that year.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »

I wouldn't give the North Korean regime another 5 years.  Whether or not its collapse leads to reunification is another question.  I suspect we'll see some sort of military junta replace the Kims.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:39:21 PM »

This is a culture which places emphasis on face and avoiding direct confrontation, and where unwritten rules far outweigh anything written.

If something does happen after Kim Jong Il dies I think in any case Kim Jong Un will formally remain as "Glorious Leader" or whatever they call him. But it's probable that the people actually making decisions are Chinese/Western-backed Deng-style reformists who will initially struggle against die-hard loyalists. The personality cult will gradually be whittled away, but the propaganda apparatus will continue to glorify the Kims to some extent.

What I don't see happening is an outright overthrow of the regime or of the Kims.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 11:42:15 PM »

OK, I have to admit that J.J. wins this thread.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 12:54:52 AM »

I think it will take them more than 31 days to roll up the barbed wire.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »

No
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

I think it will take them more than 31 days to roll up the barbed wire.

There was this episode of Seinfeld in which they were arguing about when the millennium ended.  Kramer wanted to have his end-of-millennium party on December 31, 1999 and Newman wanted it on December 31, 2000.  Or something like that.  In popular culture, the 1999 date proved more popular for millennium parties, although a very good staid, dry, numerical argument favors 2000.   (i.e., there was no year 0 in the AD system of Dionysius Exiguus.)  Like Kramer, I always like to think of January 1, 2000, as the beginning of "this millennium."

I'd interpreted the decade similarly, and assumed that the original post did as well.  In that sense, the "oughts" ended eleven months ago.  We are in the "teens" and this decade ends on December 31, 2019, although I understand that the same staid, dry, numerical argument that favors December 31, 2000 as the end of the previous millennium would put the end of this decade at December 31, 2010. 
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:10 PM »

... although I understand that the same staid, dry, numerical argument that favors December 31, 2000 as the end of the previous millennium would put the end of this decade at December 31, 2010.  

The assumption that decades must fit neatly into centuries or millenia is an interestingly absurd notion.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2010, 05:14:31 PM by angus »

Agreed, to a point.  The decade from July 17, 1974 to July 16, 1984 is still a decade.  The millenium from Stardate 64381.8 (which is today at 4pm CDT) to Stardate 1064383.1 (which is exactly one thousand years from this moment), is still a millennium.

But at some point I think most folks agree that "by the end of the decade" has a standard meaning, otherwise this conversation becomes intractable.  (It'd be rather like arguing over whether water boils at 55 degrees fahrenheit or at 212 degrees fahrenheit.  Obviously water can be made to boil at either of those temperatures, or at any temperature between its triple point and its critical point, depending upon the externally applied pressure, so some standardization becomes necessary in order to compare boiling points of various substances.)  I can think of two standard meanings floating around in popular culture regarding the phrase "end of the decade" and I think that the "end of the millennium" model exemplifies those two standards precisely.  And, given the fact that by one of those two standards the end of the decades comes in 30 days, I assumed the other.

Edit: to be honest, the only assumption that I actually made was that this was my best shot at using my favorite Sarah Palin quote out of context. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »

There's no reason that "this decade" would include, 2001-2009; that's counterintuitive.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »

Economic problems make reunification unfeasible.

At least until they have economies of similar development, which won't be for a long time. South Korea absorbing North Korea would make German reunification seem like a walk in the park.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 01:09:22 AM »

What is this decade called again?  The tens?  The teens?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 01:13:54 AM »

What is this decade called again?  The tens?  The teens?

I personally call it the "tens" and "twenty-tens." I don't know whether or not there is an official name for it though. What do we call the 2000s? Please tell me it isn't "the two thousands?" Tongue
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 02:17:39 AM »

Twenty-teens.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:58 AM »

What do we call the 2000s? Please tell me it isn't "the two thousands?" Tongue