US House Redistricting: Nevada (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:33:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Nevada (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Nevada  (Read 34795 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: December 04, 2010, 08:48:19 AM »

I chose to split Elko county rather than Churchill county in the north. In the south I tried to keep much of CD 3 intact only dropping the parts on the west side of Las Vegas to new CD 4. I improved the Hispanic influence in CD 1 to 49%. All districts are with 100 of the ideal population using the estimates.

The problem with this map (from the standpoint that the Legislature is Democratic) is that it creates a 3-1 split in favor of the GOP. I think it far more likely that they'll end up with something like JohnnyLongtorso drew. They'll draw a second urban district in Clark County, and shore up Heck with rural Republicans.

It is possible to (barely) get the Hispanic district to 50%, but when you take VAP into account, it might not hold water. It is likely that a "Hispanic Opportunity" district will be created, however.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »

I can see why the Republicans are trying to be so conciliatory. I've just tried to draw a McCain district in Nevada, and it is not easy. I finally got one to 50-48 McCain, which leaves the two Las Vegas-area seats safe (about 64% Obama each). The Reno seat is about a 1-point margin for Obama.

Here it is:

NV-01 (blue) - 64.3 Obama, 33.7 McCain
NV-02 (green) - 49.4 Obama, 48.3 McCain
NV-03 (purple) - 50.1 McCain, 47.8 Obama
NV-04 (red) - 64.5 Obama, 33.2 McCain

Surely the margin in the purple district can be improved a bit by trading some of the more marginal areas in the south for Elko County?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies