massachussets senate: with high turnout, brown in danger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:53:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Senatorial Election Polls
  massachussets senate: with high turnout, brown in danger
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: massachussets senate: with high turnout, brown in danger  (Read 5935 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »

As of now, he's proven to be pretty popular in MA and he's gaining a reputation as a republican that "gets it" and understands what is important and what isn't.  Then again, one could also just say that he's reflecting the views of the state he lives in.

That being said, I have a hard time believing he won't have at least some trouble in 2012.  For one, it will be a presidential year and the democratic turnout will overwhelm GOP turnout in MA.  Secondly, winning the statehouse is far easier for the minority party than a National race (presidential race or senatorial).  Thirdly, I doubt he won't be challenged in the primary by someone from the right and those primaries can be very damaging.  But, the GOP has proven that we're not smart and we have no trouble giving up a win for a candidate who became a national laughingstock (DE).

What do you say?  The issue for the GOP in MA is a similar one in states like RI and MD.  The ceiling of support can't really be that high.  In MD, it's almost impossible for a republican to break 52% and RI is maybe 55% (Carcieri).  Thus, there is little margin for error.

I still think the economy plays a role in this one and if things improve and Obama's ratings rise, that's going to hurt Brown's chances.  Even if he's an excellent case of what Congress should be, don't think for a second the democrats are willing to turn a blindeye to let him win a full term in MA.

For those that say he cannot be teabagged, think again.  The GOP has proven they're not smart (stated above) and they threw some easily winnable seats away in Nov.  Worse, you listen to some of those idiots talk and you realize how uneducated some Americans are.
Mjh

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »

For those that say he cannot be teabagged, think again.  The GOP has proven they're not smart (stated above) and they threw some easily winnable seats away in Nov.  Worse, you listen to some of those idiots talk and you realize how uneducated some Americans are.

I agree that it is possible he will be primaried, but doesn't most Republicans and Republicans in MA understand that Scott Brown is the best thing that has happened for them in a long long time?
Why throw that away just because Jim DeMint, Sarah Palin and the retards at RedState.com says he isn't pure enough?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 03:18:23 AM »

Still think threads like this shouldn't be allowed, but I guess I'm the only one that actually gets bothered by these things, so oh well.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 03:21:26 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2010, 03:23:24 AM by Marokai »

Like it matters. He'll be teabagged anyway.

Scott Brown's approvals amongst conservatives is 71–14, and 74–13 amongst all Republicans. There's no room for a challenge from the right.

Not that I'm suggesting it could happen, but I just felt like pointing out:

This is what I find most interesting:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This happened within a freaking month. A clear indication that people will wildly swing back and forth depending on what people tell them to think. Before there's a bunch of far-right wacked out endorsements of this crazy bitch, people love Castle, but now that people say Castle isn't good enough, suddenly there's a 20% swing in the other direction.

There may be less room for a tea party challenge in Massachusetts than in Delaware, but it's been made clear that people will wildly swing back and forth depending on what they're told to think. If Castle could have a +35 Approval rating and then swing to -4 Approval in a month, people who have high approvals are clearly not immune.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 03:39:52 AM »

Not to mention that Castle was a pillar of the Republican party in Delaware and thus much harder to tar with lies and distortions, not a newbie like Brown.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 04:14:33 AM »

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MA_1202424.pdf

Scott Brown leads all Democrats - Patrick by 7, Vicki Kennedy by 7, Markey by 10, Capuano by 16, and Lynch by 19.

Thank you for posting a link to the same poll in its thread.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »

I agree that it is possible he will be primaried, but doesn't most Republicans and Republicans in MA understand that Scott Brown is the best thing that has happened for them in a long long time?
Why throw that away just because Jim DeMint, Sarah Palin and the retards at RedState.com says he isn't pure enough?
The non-political answer to your question is that people are morons in this country.  Hell, most Americans can't name their House Rep, Governor or Senators.  Education has gone to hell in this country.  Thus, you listen to what other morons around tell you, including people like DeMint who continues to prove to be one of the most intolerant freaks; of course in this great land, he's gaining power within the party. 

20 years from now, people will still remember that DE Senate race and ask the GOP voters there, what the hell were they thinking?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »

Not to mention that Castle was a pillar of the Republican party in Delaware and thus much harder to tar with lies and distortions, not a newbie like Brown.

Castle was never liked by his state's Tea Party -- he was actively opposed by it. Scott Brown won because of his state's Tea Party -- and organization, I'd like to point out, that still likes and supports him.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 02:03:50 PM »

Brown will win the primary. However let's see how strong he is in the general after two years of the House GOP leadership acting like how Gingrich and co did in 1995, with in a presidential year. I mean how is Brown going to run in an Obama vs. Palin race? Even endorsing Obama isn't going to do him much good in that type of race.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_MA_1202424.pdf

Scott Brown leads all Democrats - Patrick by 7, Vicki Kennedy by 7, Markey by 10, Capuano by 16, and Lynch by 19.

Thank you for posting a link to the same poll in its thread.

When I first read the thread, it hadn't been updated to include the poll results, and I didn't bother checking it again before posting.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »

The problem is, there are way too many voters who will vote a straight-ticket no matter who the candidates are.  While Congress and gov't is a joke, we're still responsible because we keep voting people back into office and getting rid of good ones because of the D/R next to their name.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 08:31:56 PM »

You have the results switched around.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies