Opinion of Libertas' banning
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:32:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Libertas' banning
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: Opinion of Libertas' banning
Very Positive

Positive

Neutral

Negative

Very Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Opinion of Libertas' banning  (Read 14843 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2010, 02:31:36 PM »

I wasn't comparing the banning of Libertas (PBUH) to the holocaust.  I was simply pointing out how absurd it is to support a position just because the person making the decision has that authority.

So much for a libertarian respect for private property.

In case you missed this fact, we're using Mr. Leip private property. We're his guests and he have every right to decide, whom to host and whom to kick out.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to agree.

Of course not, but you should keep some proportions in your reasoning.

I've had the same proportions.  Just, they were misunderstood.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:40 PM »

I wasn't comparing the banning of Libertas (PBUH) to the holocaust.  I was simply pointing out how absurd it is to support a position just because the person making the decision has that authority.

So much for a libertarian respect for private property.

In case you missed this fact, we're using Mr. Leip private property. We're his guests and he have every right to decide, whom to host and whom to kick out.

Yes, but that doesn't mean you have to agree.

Of course not, but you should keep some proportions in your reasoning.

I've had the same proportions.  Just, they were misunderstood.

Either you don't understand a difference between ruling the state, that is not a private property, and owning an internet forum, which is the one, or you're doing mindless demagogy. Either way, you're lowering discussion standards, Morgan, and I lost a lot of my respect I had toward you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »

I didn't like the guy much, though I completely agree with Mechaman that his incendiary "debating" style could have been easily ignored.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 02:56:20 PM by Mideast Assemblyman True Conservative »

Why are so many people saying "Libertas banned by Nazi moderators?" I mean, Libertas was a Nazi; it was FDR whom he felt to be a fascist, NWO imperalist.

(kidding)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2010, 03:04:06 PM »

Utterly pointless. The only reason he was banned was because the entirety of the left decided to whine and moan instead of ignoring his blatant trolling. As yes - it was almost entirely the left.

No, everybody who wasn't in your little Populares clique, regardless of ideology, wanted Libertas gone. Especially since he already got so many chances. And it didn't help that he helped Hamilton troll. It left a certain impression of him in many people's minds that he was never going to shake.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »

If he had been dealt with at the right time; say, a year ago, he wouldn't have had any fanboys yet.  Dave doesn't seem to believe in a preventative approach to moderation, but rather excising the tumor after it has already spread elsewhere.

Let's not forget, Libertas was initially one of Hamilton's fanboys.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2010, 03:12:57 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2010, 03:32:34 PM by FREE LIBERTAS!!!! »

Alright. Honestly, people? I knew Libertas had this coming, I really did. Personally, I really can't say he didn't deserve it, since it was entirely his own decision to act like he did and blatantly troll at every chance he got, and that's not even mentioning that he never bothered to actually debate. It was bound to happen eventually here.

But really - and yes, I'm aware I should practice what I preach - he should have been more easily ignored. Honestly, all he was in the end was a rather harmless troll; even before I talked to him in private, very few things he said or did genuinely pissed me off, usually just ending up annoying me a bit. Yet, for some reason, people like BRTD incessantly felt the need to constantly bring him to attention and fulfill what I suspect was his exact goal: to rile everyone who disagreed with him. So, in this outcome, I think he wound up far more the victor than anyone else.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2010, 03:30:14 PM »

Alright. Honestly, people? I knew Libertas had this coming, I really did. Personally, I really can't say he didn't deserve it, since it was entirely his own decision to act like he did and blatantly troll at every chance he got, and that's not even mentioning that he never bothered to actually debate. It was bound to happen eventually here.

But really - and yes, I'm aware I should practice what I preach - he should have been more easily ignored. Honestly, all he was in the end was a rather harmless troll; even before I talked to him in private, very few things he said or did genuinely pissed me off, usually just ending up annoying me a bit. Yet, for some reason, people like BRTD incessantly felt the need to constantly bring him to him attention and fulfill what I suspect was his exact goal: to rile everyone who disagreed with him. So, in this outcome, I think he wound up far more the victor than anyone else.

I would dispute that. Anyway, as was pointed out trolling is against the Terms of Service. End of.

I wouldn't say he ended up a victor; he lost, He's gone. It's over.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »

But really - and yes, I'm aware I should practice what I preach - he should have been more easily ignored. Honestly, all he was in the end was a rather harmless troll; even before I talked to him in private, very few things he said or did genuinely pissed me off, usually just ending up annoying me a bit. Yet, for some reason, people like BRTD incessantly felt the need to constantly bring him to him attention and fulfill what I suspect was his exact goal: to rile everyone who disagreed with him. So, in this outcome, I think he wound up far more the victor than anyone else.

I would dispute that. Anyway, as was pointed out trolling is against the Terms of Service. End of.

Be that as it may, he still got all the attention I suspect he was trying to get. He still succeeded in riling everyone. Basically, his goal was accomplished long before he was banned.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2010, 03:47:41 PM »

Be that as it may, he still got all the attention I suspect he was trying to get. He still succeeded in riling everyone. Basically, his goal was accomplished long before he was banned.

That's because ban comes months too late.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2010, 03:53:10 PM »

That's because ban comes months too late.

Which is exactly part of the problem. If you plan on doing something, do it. Don't waffle around like our apparent "moderators" and f**k with someone's account for almost a straight year. It wasn't just a cowardly tactic, it was a nonsensical one, since they - and Dave himself - gave Libertas more than enough time to succeed.

And furthermore, I question why Libertas was targeted for so long and yet BRTD and opebo remain free men. And, for that matter, Lief.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »

BRTD and opebo have been around forver and can get away with anything. Same with jmfascist.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2010, 04:03:09 PM »

BRTD and opebo have been around forver and can get away with anything. Same with jmfascist.

On a fair forum, I doubt they would have lasted a year.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »

Which is exactly part of the problem. If you plan on doing something, do it. Don't waffle around like our apparent "moderators" and f**k with someone's account for almost a straight year. It wasn't just a cowardly tactic, it was a nonsensical one, since they - and Dave himself - gave Libertas more than enough time to succeed.

Is this some kind of sick joke?  The moderators unanimously wanted him banned a year ago, but guess what?  We can't ban anybody.

Dave has indicated a solution to this deeper problem, however, by honoring our suggestion of appointing a co-admin; someone who pays attention to the forum and its needs.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »

What does Opebo really do? Just spout his ideology? Is there anything wrong with that?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »

Well, at least you didn't lump me into the same sentence with BRTD and opebo. 
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2010, 04:41:11 PM »

Well, at least you didn't lump me into the same sentence with BRTD and opebo. 

you're unique. 
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »

Has a Hamilton sock posted in this thread yet?
East Coast Republican

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2010, 05:44:17 PM »

No.

Why was libertas banned?  He didn't even do anything.  I never noticed him doing anything blatant.  I just scanned this whole thread so that's a good accomplishment.  Fan boys?  Followers?  Hamilton worshippers?  Lol what?

Let's be real:  Libertas was most likely banned for being far right wing.  If that's the case, I wonder who's next.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2010, 06:31:48 PM »

Let's be real:  Libertas was most likely banned for being far right wing.  If that's the case, I wonder who's next.

No.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2010, 06:43:35 PM »

Wink
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »

10 bucks can get my vote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2010, 07:00:12 PM »

There's no legitimate reason why Libertas should've been allowed to stay. The amount of time he spent acting like a toddler, insulting others, throwing fits, deliberately provoking people, using personal information against people, reporting people's posts unnecessarily on purpose, and just generally spending his time trying to nuke any and all discussion just for attention, all make it impossible to not see that.

To all those who say we should've just ignored him, you should look at his involvement in Atlasia as the best example of why it's nearly impossible to do so. He used his stature in Atlasia to basically cause as many problems as possible. He screwed up court cases by refusing to cooperate and then threw huge fits when it didn't go his way, even though he basically abandoned the entire thing and refused to listen to what anyone told him. Another time, he refused to show up in a vote that was tied, and caused a huge controversy when Kalwejt, as Vice President, was forced to vote because Libertas refused to. Other times, he deliberately caused court cases by violating the Constitution by trying to hold more than one office at a time and then provoking the Court when we went after him.

Libertas did everything possible to draw attention to himself and piss as many people off as possible. Even if we should've just ignored him, and we are certainly under no obligation to just ignore people when they should clearly be banned, it was nigh-impossible.

Dave said he wanted Atlas to be an "oasis" in our political discussion. To argue that Libertas was constructive in almost any political conversation at all is clearly false. He was a deliberate stumbling block in the kind of mature and calm environment that Dave set out to create.

It's also almost impossible to avoid Libertas because there are a certain group of people on the internet that rally around controversy. Wormyguy, Mech, Svensson, FallenMorgan, and others. These are the type of people who would join in on a riot just for the hell of it. The kind of people who whistle and clap in sick admiration when their bully classmates were sent to the principal's office.

This discussion reminded me of one thing I remembered about Mech, though. This was his sixteenth post:

Look I've only been a member here for a day but before I was a member I remember coming on here and enjoying reading Xahar's posts. He has a unique view that should not be banned. I'm againt any and all bannings period. BRING XAHAR BACK! BRING XAHAR BACK! BRING XAHAR BACK!

These folks make a career out of trying to rally around trouble makers. Ban them or ignore them until they're gone. They're not worth the trouble.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2010, 07:03:58 PM »

Did you just call for the banning of Mechman? Angry
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »

Did you just call for the banning of Mechman? Angry

Maybe not Mech specifically, but I wouldn't mind the sudden disappearance of Wormyguy Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies