North Carolina 2012 Gubernatorial Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:40:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  North Carolina 2012 Gubernatorial Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: North Carolina 2012 Gubernatorial Race  (Read 2343 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:35:46 AM »

Appearently McCrory still holds the same 12 point lead he held in mid 2009. http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NC_1129.pdf

He leads by 20 among Independents, while Perdue is upside down on favoribility by 33-49.

McCrory leads the primary.
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/PPP_Release_NC_11302.pdf

Though, he is only at 37% which is what I would expect from his Charlotte metro base. What is important to see is if the opposition rallies to Fetzer.

I will also say the Perdue has been acting like Mrs. Conservative these last few weeks. She held a conference with small business owners about over-burdensome regulations and ways to simiplify them, in which her rhetoric was of the sort "The regulations are litterally killing us, is what I often hear from small business owners".  She also has been making vague but aggressive statements about "wastefull spending".

Of course her biggest problem is that, now that Easily's case is finished, the federal dogs will turn on Purdue now, for her questionable flights and campaign expenses. Which makes the latest new even more hilarious. She has been appointed Vice Chair of the DGA. lol.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:40:21 AM »

Does Perdue really believe she can fool enough voters to get reelected?

Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »

Perdue looks like she's DOA. Best chance she has imo is to say she can be a check on the Republican legislature.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »

Maybe she can ride Obama's coattails to reelection!
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »

Yep, Bev Purdue is dead meat. I'd say that McCrory will take her spot.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »

I'd need to learn more about McCrory vs. Fetzer, but theres no doubt that Bev isn't gonna make the cut, no matter what "Pro-business" stuff she spews, voters can't trust her.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 05:43:19 PM »

Perdue is in very bad shape, obviously.
But I remember that Mitch Daniels was in the same place after the 2006 elections due to some very unpopular decisions he had taken.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 05:45:58 PM »

But I remember that Mitch Daniels was in the same place after the 2006 elections due to some very unpopular decisions he had taken.
Not really. A couple polls early on had him trailing by 1-2 points, but never by the margins that McCrory is facing.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 05:49:30 PM »

Not really. A couple polls early on had him trailing by 1-2 points, but never by the margins that McCrory is facing.

Trailing who? The pathetic candidates that eventually ran?
Neither of them was as well-known and liked as McCrory.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 07:30:18 PM »

The only way the Dems will be holding this seat is if Roy Cooper primaries Perdue/convinces her to drop out or if Obama has near 60% approval in NC in 2012 for a second round of coattails.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 11:16:17 PM »

The only way the Dems will be holding this seat is if Roy Cooper primaries Perdue/convinces her to drop out or if Obama has near 60% approval in NC in 2012 for a second round of coattails.

Wasn't her margin of victory slightly larger than Obama's in 2008?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 09:48:34 AM »

yes, it was. he won by 0.3% and she won by 3.4%. hagan margin was of 8.5%. so, if there were coattails, they came from the senate election Wink
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 09:59:07 AM »

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 01:06:04 AM »

yes, it was. he won by 0.3% and she won by 3.4%. hagan margin was of 8.5%. so, if there were coattails, they came from the senate election Wink

If you check the results, McCrory got 47% in Mecklenburg county (McCain 39% or so) and McCrory outperformed McCain in the surronding counties. McCrory lost the bubba vote basically outside of his area of the state. McCrory thus has to win a large number of people who voted for McCain but wasn't willing to vote for a big city mayor from Charlotte over Perdue in 2008.
Now that Perdue has been in office, I think she has probably angered many of them.

Also events haven't been particularly good for Dems in Wake county with both the school board and county commission run by the GOP now and that is despite Marshall winning it (by 2 the last I checked, but that was several weeks ago). So while the Dems may win Wake, it probably won't be by the margins of 2008. And the unpopularity of the school board's new policies didn't have any effect on GOP performances in county commission and other county elections in 2010. So I don't think that Perdue will be able to increase numbers in Wake to offset lost numbers elsewhere.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

Call me crazy, but I think NC's gubernatorial race will be very, very, very close. I'm not saying perdue will win, but I think she has a good shot.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 10:16:05 AM »

Obama will not win Indiana and NC again so those states are locks for the GOP anyway. Nixon or the MT governorship are better chances with our senate races.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2010, 01:31:53 PM »

Obama will not win Indiana and NC again so those states are locks for the GOP anyway. Nixon or the MT governorship are better chances with our senate races.

I agree on indiana, but I think obama could carry NC if the GOP nominee isn't mike huckabee.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »

I agree on indiana, but I think obama could carry NC if the GOP nominee isn't mike huckabee.

NC is available to him, but he would have to already be doing pretty well nationally.  With the continuing demographic change he probably doesn't need 2008 numbers to carry NC again.  Still, if he is competitive there, he is should getting over 51% of the national PV. 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies