Will this Berlusconi government finally collapse?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:02:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Will this Berlusconi government finally collapse?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: There is a confidence vote scheduled for December 14th. Will the Berlusconi government finally fall?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Will this Berlusconi government finally collapse?  (Read 5827 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-scene-is-now-set-for-the-fall-of-silvio-berlusconi-2151583.html

It looks like it will finally happen. Fini's group will be with the Left on this one. 317 members have indicated that they will vote for the no confidence motion.

Berlusconi needs to find ten members to change their mind and abstain or he's done. His last ditch effort is trying to solve the trash crisis in Naples again. If he can accomplish that within nine days, he can certainly survive. I'll never totally write him off but it's not looking good for him.

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:53:53 AM »

Italy without Berlusconi makes me sad! Cry I can't picture the country without its cocky, corrupt, womanizing leader!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 01:00:12 AM »

Looks like Italy is back to revolving door governments.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:01:26 AM »

"Back?"
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 01:08:35 AM »

Italy without Berlusconi makes me sad! Cry I can't picture the country without its cocky, corrupt, womanizing leader!

He's been out of power before. He'll be back.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 03:08:05 AM »

For a fourth stint? At his age? Somehow I doubt that...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 03:13:22 AM »

For a fourth stint? At his age? Somehow I doubt that...

You never know with Berlusconi/Italy...

But, yeah, I think it would be the end this time.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 03:23:06 AM »

Wow, you never thought you'd see the day when Keystone Phil has given up on Silvio Berlusconi but Beet supports him. Yes. Now, is a very delicate time for Europe. It is critical that as many PIIGS governments survive as possible, particularly if the alternative is not decisive. Any time in the past 10 years I would have gladly twisted a knife into Berlusconi politically, but it is best that he makes it through this confidence vote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:56 AM »

I've been waiting for this for years, but I really startthinking this guy is just invulnerable.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 04:33:35 AM »

I've been waiting for this for years, but I really startthinking this guy is just invulnerable.

After this guy is gone, Italy will come under speculative attack by the bond markets. The Left will then take the blame. We've seen it happen before... we need to keep Berlusconi in there because he has been doing a good job protecting Italy from the bond markets. They seem to be friendlier towards right wing governments.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:14:54 AM »

After this guy is gone, Italy will come under speculative attack by the bond markets. The Left will then take the blame. We've seen it happen before... we need to keep Berlusconi in there because he has been doing a good job protecting Italy from the bond markets. They seem to be friendlier towards right wing governments.

That's utterly silly.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 05:40:26 AM »

Silvio limp? No, this can't be true.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »

That's utterly silly.

It's part of his doom-and-gloom fascist-takeover scenario.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »

It'd be hilarious if he lost confidence, then won an ensuing election.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 10:45:11 AM »

Why not just support military coups in every country in southern Europe, Beet? It's really only two or three moves away from your current position anyway.

You should also remember what happened the last time Italy had serious trouble with international speculators; did things get markedly worse when the Pentapartito regime collapsed under the weight of its monstrous corruption?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »

That's utterly silly.

Well this is the guy who didn't want Christine O'Donnell to win the primary because he believed she would win the general.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »

An example of a country that did let its government be held hostage by speculators in such a way was France in 1932, and that didn't turn out so well.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »

That's utterly silly.

Well this is the guy who didn't want Christine O'Donnell to win the primary because he believed she would win the general.

I didn't believe she would win until she started racking up massive fundraising. She had a chance. She blew it by not running a serious campaign, while Coons ran a serious one. Had Coons assumed that he would win and coasted, while O'Donnell actually tried to win, she would have had a chance.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lol, no. I think we're on the same side in the sense that if what happens in Italy is as benign as the Pentapartito unraveling, it's certainly see no problem with it. What I'm more afraid of is what happened in the aftermath of the New Democracy defeat in Greece in 2009-- only multiply by a factor of 5 or 10.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 08:08:27 PM »

Wow, you never thought you'd see the day when Keystone Phil has given up on Silvio Berlusconi

Sometimes you have to burn a village in order to save it.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »

He's a disgrace and a generally disgusting person, but I wouldn't mind him sticking around if only for the comedic value.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 11:54:47 PM »

The Independent just can't contain its joy - http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/peter-popham/peter-popham-the-last-days-of-silvio-berlusconi-2152076.html

Second article within a day.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 05:20:21 AM »

What Antonio said.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 07:38:02 AM »

So Beet thinks the Greek economic crisis was caused/triggered by ND losing in 2009?
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 08:58:50 AM »

Well, firstable, it's not sure if they will have the gut to remove him because the only alternative would be a government with Fini's postfascists and the left, and for Fini it would be a terrible image he would give to the country, and in any case what makes me happy is that with this situation the left alone and all its ideology will never be back in power, at least alone. Just consider that even the third center coalition is made of conservative parties too.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »

the left alone and all its ideology will never be back in power, at least alone. Just consider that even the third center coalition is made of conservative parties too.

Yeah, the Italian Left is great. Not sure if it's possible to be any more incompetent than that team. In the midst of this crisis, they either continue to trail or barely lead in the polls. Beautiful!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies