POLL: Does the federal government care about the economy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:13:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  POLL: Does the federal government care about the economy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Select one
No
Nope
The federal gov't is actually where we send those we dislike to leave us alone for a bit
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: POLL: Does the federal government care about the economy?  (Read 5907 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »

I'm just saying...

STOCK MARKET FALLS SHARPLY

(AMPG) After gradually dropping most of the previous two weeks, the ANSE Index declined heavily on Friday to 742.30. This is a drop of almost 90 points, or more than 10% of the Index's value, in just under two weeks. 37.23 points were lost on the Index on Friday alone before the closing bell ended what traders were calling "Black Friday". When pointed out that Black Friday already referred to the start of the 1929 Stock Market Crash, traders amended their description of the event to "a really sh$%ty day".

Comments from market leaders were unavailable, as the persons contacted by the AMPG were either crying to hard to understand, incomprehensibly drunk, or were reported by secretaries to have thrown themselves from their office windows.

BREAKING NEWS: STOCK MARKET IN FREEFALL MONDAY.

(AMPG) Stocks suffered an historic single day declines as the ANSE Index dropped 53.12 points Monday before closing at 689.18. The loss of over 7% comes on the heels of a decline of more than 37 points on Friday, resulting in a two day cumulative loss of over 11.5% of the market's value.

Initial reports do not indicate any specific transaction or weak sector of the market, as losses were largely uniform. Nervous investors are awaiting the ANSE opening on Wednesday.

The federal government hasn't even acknowledged this issue. Sure, there has been gradual discussion of a possible new stimulus, but those discussions started before the latest weakness and have gone not far not fast.

So...Bueller?...Bueller?...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 01:06:10 PM »

It'd be certainly nice if we had a federal government who seemed to actually care about our economy, but for quite some time, we haven't had that. Hopefully there will be a day in the near future where we have a government that is ready and prepared to address the economic difficulties facing this nation.
-
KS21
Political Matrix
E: -0.97, S: -3.39

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:10:45 PM »

The third option is amussing. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »

They don't seem to be especially engaged, no.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »

If elected to the Senate, I'll consider pushing for a stimulus bill. I wish it to be a fair stimulus bill, taking into account the interests of corporations as well as those of the workers.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »

The main reason I haven't done anything is because I haven't seen any reasoning for this freefall, can't really do anything to fix the problem if you don't know what it is....
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

I pitched the idea of an economic downturn to Badger... But in order to work on that and other things, I need the data from the rest of the regional govt's...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 07:32:10 PM »

I pitched the idea of an economic downturn to Badger... But in order to work on that and other things, I need the data from the rest of the regional govt's...
As far as I know, the IDS has no "data".  Is there a regional game mod or some such to come up with these figures?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 07:37:06 PM »

As far as I know, the IDS has no "data".  Is there a regional game mod or some such to come up with these figures?

Well, the IDS isn't on the hook. I've gotten what I need from you. I don't exactly know why the other regions seemingly have this problem. I'll wait another day before I just ask Badger to give me the figures, but I'm trying to get the regions involved with this.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 09:10:43 PM »

I dont care about the economy. As long as my pension checks dont bounce, I'm fine.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »

I care about the economy, I actually composed a bill and submitted it to the SoIA for review and to help stir discussion about its composition. As the SoIA has said, we have been delayed by "certain" Regional gov'ts. I did consult with tmth during the process of composing my bill, hence why I added education funding and some other items, and PiT was the first to comply with the SoIA request (GO RPPers!!!!! Tongue ). 

Two weeks ago, Barnes and I were discussing items that could be considered stimulus along with other items that wouldn't in the hope of composing a bill focusing on rural issues or a rural issue atleast. Unfortunately, he has disappeared without a trace.

I will point out that Libertas was banned, Barnes vanished, and BK and Andrew are just coasting by activitywise. Snowguy has put a lot on his plate in terms of other bills as has HappyWarrior. And bgwah must have stumbled into some kind of environmental meeting that he had to bribe his way out by promising to propose several "whacky" bills. Tongue So I will say that I am sure that they care, but whether they care about the economy, I don't know. Wink

If elected to the Senate, I'll consider pushing for a stimulus bill. I wish it to be a fair stimulus bill, taking into account the interests of corporations as well as those of the workers.

We will probably already be debating one at the start of the new Senate. I plan to see what the SoIA offers once everyone responds then offer a bill containing most if not all of his suggestions in it.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 01:18:09 AM »

It's good to see President Fritz and SoIA Dr. Cynic fully engaged on the issue and working with the regions.

I would urge PPT NCY to propose legislation and bring it to the floor immediately under the emergency slot based on the current funding requests by regions, plus whatever needs the federal government faces. Though the Northeast and Pacific have not yet responded to the SoIA's request, those can be amended into the bill quickly during debate, but any legislation will take 72 hours to come to a vote, so the clock should start sooner, not later.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 01:27:24 AM »

It's good to see President Fritz and SoIA Dr. Cynic fully engaged on the issue and working with the regions.

I would urge PPT NCY to propose legislation and bring it to the floor immediately under the emergency slot based on the current funding requests by regions, plus whatever needs the federal government faces. Though the Northeast and Pacific have not yet responded to the SoIA's request, those can be amended into the bill quickly during debate, but any legislation will take 72 hours to come to a vote, so the clock should start sooner, not later.

If thats the case why don't I just introduce the bill I made to "start the clock". If that is the concern, I could do that right now. Otherwise it will be tomorrow afternoon to add in the current requests. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 01:48:38 AM »

If thats the case why don't I just introduce the bill I made to "start the clock". If that is the concern, I could do that right now. Otherwise it will be tomorrow afternoon to add in the current requests. Tongue

So I guess I still have some good ideas, even in retirement. Wink

It's the job of past presidents to hold your feet to the fire.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 01:51:23 AM »

As I posted in the thread, you better pray it takes less then 72 hours to complete it and go to a vote.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »

As I posted in the thread, you better pray it takes less then 72 hours to complete it and go to a vote.

The nation will pray with me. This economy needs a boost now. If the Senate can't get its act together sooner...
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 01:59:53 AM »

Who was the first Senator to notice and acknowlege SoIA Cynic's request for a publics works bill?

Who was the first to actually write a bill up in response despite it being Thanksgiving weekend?

I take your statements as an insult. Wink

A bill would have been in by tomorrow or Friday at the absolute latest with text and been finished by early next week. Which is actually quite fast compared to recent bills. However you felt the need to offer your idea that clock be started as soon as possible to avoid letting the 72 hours (something which I doubt would have been an issue) get in the way of a final vote, which is fine, but it doesn't give you the right to insult my efforts by saying that you need to hold me accountable. Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 02:08:23 AM »

Who was the first Senator to notice and acknowlege SoIA Cynic's request for a publics works bill?

Who was the first to actually write a bill up in response despite it being Thanksgiving weekend?

I take your statements as an insult. Wink

A bill would have been in by tomorrow or Friday at the absolute latest with text and been finished by early next week. Which is actually quite fast compared to recent bills. However you felt the need to offer your idea that clock be started as soon as possible to avoid letting the 72 hours (something which I doubt would have been an issue) get in the way of a final vote, which is fine, but it doesn't give you the right to insult my efforts by saying that you need to hold me accountable. Tongue

As you should. Tongue

Actually, I just like letting you all know I'm still alive. This hall of presidents past is quite lonely.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 02:46:28 AM »

I'm giving them till tomorrow. Or rather tonight.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 08:15:54 AM »

I advised the last administration in my capacity as SoIA to consider funding a public works and infrastructure program. No action was taken on those suggestions. If this has contributed in any way to the economic climate then some responsibilty should be laid at the feet of the former President Wink Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »

I advised the last administration in my capacity as SoIA to consider funding a public works and infrastructure program. No action was taken on those suggestions. If this has contributed in any way to the economic climate then some responsibilty should be laid at the feet of the former President Wink Smiley

To be fair, I was hoping your recommendation would have led a senator (you know, the one's generally responsible for writing legislation) to actually write up legislation. Sometimes I forget why we have a Senate. *looks back at my own poll* oh yeah. Tongue

Maro and I could only write so much legislation among our other duties (note how many of the laws passed under my watch were actually written by members of my administration).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »

To be fair, I was hoping your recommendation would have led a senator (you know, the one's generally responsible for writing legislation) to actually write up legislation. Sometimes I forget why we have a Senate. *looks back at my own poll* oh yeah. Tongue

Maro and I could only write so much legislation among our other duties (note how many of the laws passed under my watch were actually written by members of my administration).

I was jesting Smiley But I know what you mean; despite the best efforts to have a co-ordinated government and a GM getting people to respond is a different matter.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 12:44:49 PM »

I sure wish the federal government didn't care about the economy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 01:51:53 AM »

Is that kind of like a "faith based health care plan" (basically you pray to god you don't get sick) only here, hoping a Senator will write legislation? Tongue

Perhaps PMing some of them would have been more effective, just like getting a real health care plan instead of praying you don't get sick. Wink

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 02:16:47 AM »

I sure wish the federal government didn't care about the economy.

Well what the hell kinda game would that be?

"Quick, let's get elected!"

"Ok, we're elected, now let's just sit here for 4 months and pretend the rest of the game is for the nonexistant private sector!"
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies