2010 Federal Stimulus Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:21:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2010 Federal Stimulus Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: 2010 Federal Stimulus Act (Law'd)  (Read 14837 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »

So... what the hell are y'all doing in here? And no Yank, this question is not directed at you. I wouldn't mind it if a different senator answered this question for a change.

I want our stimulus to involve building lots of mass transit. A subway for every city with >500,000 people!

I'd be on board for ever city over a million people.  Every city with over 500,000 may be a bit too expensive I think.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »

So... what the hell are y'all doing in here? And no Yank, this question is not directed at you. I wouldn't mind it if a different senator answered this question for a change.

I want our stimulus to involve building lots of mass transit. A subway for every city with >500,000 people!

I'd be on board for ever city over a million people.  Every city with over 500,000 may be a bit too expensive I think.

How much do both cost? And who would be in charge (where do we send the bags of cash basically).
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »

How much do both cost? And who would be in charge (where do we send the bags of cash basically).

I'm not sure on the actual price however I think this would in fact be placed in the charge of the SOIA.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 04:04:55 PM »

I'm not sure on the actual price however I think this would in fact be placed in the charge of the SOIA.

Good idea, why don't you submit an inquiry on the subject.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 04:52:55 PM »

To who?  The GM or the SOIA?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »

The SoIA, surely. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 04:58:28 PM »

We are an equal opportunity organization here, so do both, otherwise, we might be accused of being bigoted against forest creatures.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 05:16:44 PM »

I'd also like to propose tax credits to create green vehicular jobs specifically for the states of Ohio, Kentucky and Michigan.  Also I'd like to put forward a bill to add a rural roads program, I'm thinking $500 million total to be dispersed to areas with under 120,000 people in a county.  Any thoughts?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 09:37:32 PM »

So write an amendment so that this can actually receive debate and the bill can move forward. You are clearly a prolific writer of legislation, so we know you are capable.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2010, 02:55:45 AM »

So write an amendment so that this can actually receive debate and the bill can move forward. You are clearly a prolific writer of legislation, so we know you are capable.

How about this this.

We got two days, two days and if nothing more substantial is done we just amend section 2 to throw 100 billion at the SoIA and say Merry Christmas please don't steal it all. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 11:23:16 AM »

I posted this link a couple days ago in the SoIA's Address to Senate thread, but just in case it's been overlooked I'll post in here and in the Stimulus Bill thread as well.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »

How about this this.

We got two days, two days and if nothing more substantial is done we just amend section 2 to throw 100 billion at the SoIA and say Merry Christmas please don't steal it all. Tongue

Ah, so if the senators don't act, we strip them of their earmarks, leave it all up to the Feds. Wonder where you came up with that idea. Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »

Further, what is your definition of city? The city proper with over 500,000 people or the metro area? Charleston is over 500,000 people and I doubt it needs a subway. We are adverse to public transportation. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 12:27:23 AM »

How about this this.

Ah, so if the senators don't act, we strip them of their earmarks, leave it all up to the Feds. Wonder where you came up with that idea. Tongue

Iraq. You know, timetables and dates certain for withdrawal.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 01:41:34 AM »

I think both density and metro population should be taken into account for deciding which cities get heavy rail transit (subways or elevated rails).  Surely smaller cities with low density can make do with light rail (which can be pushed underground in the densest areas and run above or on the ground elsewhere), busses, and commuter rail.

Question:  Am I supposed to offer specific amendments to allocate monies for the Midwest?

I'd like to 2nd the idea for a rural roads program with special consideration for Minnesota.  The rural roads of western and southern Minnesota are in terrible shape and are in need of major upgrades and repairs.  I'll have to confer with other midwest citizens as to the need for road monies in their states.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2010, 01:56:32 AM »

I think both density and metro population should be taken into account for deciding which cities get heavy rail transit (subways or elevated rails).  Surely smaller cities with low density can make do with light rail (which can be pushed underground in the densest areas and run above or on the ground elsewhere), busses, and commuter rail.

Question:  Am I supposed to offer specific amendments to allocate monies for the Midwest?

I'd like to 2nd the idea for a rural roads program with special consideration for Minnesota.  The rural roads of western and southern Minnesota are in terrible shape and are in need of major upgrades and repairs.  I'll have to confer with other midwest citizens as to the need for road monies in their states.

Its a reasonable idea for a stimulative measure.

Our problem is how to format it to an extent. I have been trying to format it like the one last year.

Section 2.
1. $$$ for XXX
            a.
            b.
            c.
2. $$ for XXXXX

etc etc

However getting that to be in line with the requests requires meticulous calculation. So right now I lean towards earmarking 77.9 or whatever billion to the SoIA to comply with the requests. Then set a max limit at 100 Billion total for section 2, then we fill up the difference with various pet projects that are hopefully stimulative and not too shady. Wink

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

Is there any reason nothing has been added to this bill yet?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »

Is there any reason nothing has been added to this bill yet?

Yes, a bunch of vague Governor's requests that need to be satisfied but aren't conducive to being quickly shuved in a bill and passed.

Thats why I am leaning towards this right now:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The problem is I don't like to throw a large sum of money at the SoIA with so little restrictions and guidance as to what the money is spent on and where. Nothing against the current SoIA, but I think its a bad precedent.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2010, 07:30:52 PM »

I am awaiting a reply from the Prime Verin of the Midwest before I put something together for my region.

I understand the urgency of getting this bill passed ASAP, but just throwing money into the wind without some structure isn't going to be the best stimulus.  Let's be patient.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 01:02:37 AM »

I am awaiting a reply from the Prime Verin of the Midwest before I put something together for my region.

I understand the urgency of getting this bill passed ASAP, but just throwing money into the wind without some structure isn't going to be the best stimulus.  Let's be patient.

I applaud your iniative here. I would hope the other regional Senators are paying attention and take similar steps to ensure that there parts of section 2 resemble their requests before hand or whether they are relying on the SoIA to interpret the vague requests more effectively then they themselves. I think I have come up with a better format then the one I posted earlier.

Example
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That way those who go the extra mile for their region to ensure they get what they want, will get it while those who don't will be up to the SoIA.

I am also putting up a final final deadline for all amendments to be offered by Friday.

Get it done.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 09:50:03 AM »

The Mideast Region will have it's information submitted as soon as possible. Allow me to consult with my Senator, as well as my Speaker of the Assembly.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »

How about this this.

If you choose to do this, and I really hope it won't come to that, but if you do, I'll try and get the full proposals in (Working with the GM and consulting with the President on it)... But it probably wouldn't be done until at least after January 1st because of all there would be to go through.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »

How about this this.

If you choose to do this, and I really hope it won't come to that, but if you do, I'll try and get the full proposals in (Working with the GM and consulting with the President on it)... But it probably wouldn't be done until at least after January 1st because of all there would be to go through.

We won't be doing that. I revised it down to the 79.7 or 77.9 or what ever that original number was. Then I created a format and contacted the four Regional Governors (something I thought of after I saw Snowguy's post yesterday and hence why I didn't contact the MW) for them to compose, with the aide of the Regional Senators, more specific reports with items and the amount allocated by you to each region divided amongs those items. I set a deadline of Friday for all those more specific reports to be in. Once the Five Regional Senators have reported those, I will friendly amend the bill with an amendment including all of them. Those that don't meet the deadline will however have their money thrown at you to be dispersed at your judgement within that region. So at most you might end up controlling $20 or $30 billion.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 08:29:43 PM »

I'm beginning to think with the recent bad economic news that this stimulus bill isn't going far enough.  Patching up infrastructure and making a few willy-nilly investments in renewable energy aren't going to stimulate the economy at all.  In fact, it will probably only slightly stave off the worst of what appears to be another round in recession... especially since most of these investments should have been made years ago.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 08:35:13 PM »

I'm beginning to think with the recent bad economic news that this stimulus bill isn't going far enough.  Patching up infrastructure and making a few willy-nilly investments in renewable energy aren't going to stimulate the economy at all.  In fact, it will probably only slightly stave off the worst of what appears to be another round in recession... especially since most of these investments should have been made years ago.

We can more to Section 2 taking that to 150 or $200 billion total if necessary. Lets continue with the request.

Many of these invesments were made last year, Snowguy. What the hell are you talking about? We passed a stimulus as well as separate bills funding rural broadband. It leaves one to wonder if maybe spending money doesn't work. Tongue 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies