US House Redistricting: Utah (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:02:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Utah (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Utah  (Read 16327 times)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »
« edited: December 13, 2010, 02:08:10 PM by Verily »

The only reason Matheson didn't lose this year was because the Republican nominee was a pathetic loser, and Matheson still only ended up winning by 4.5%. A decent candidate would've taken him out.

Splits up Matheson's share of Salt Lake County between a Happy Valley-based district and a district that stretches up to the north. Either way Matheson would be screwed, since he's not known to voters in the north part of the state, and the Happy Valley will not vote for a Democrat ever.

Agreed; that was basically the premise of my map.  Although yours also has the quirk that  Park City liberals will be represented by Jason Chaffetz.  Smiley  

What was pathetic about Philpot, might I ask?  

Park City is already represented by Rob Bishop, so it wouldn't be a huge change.

Anyway, Davis + Morgan + Weber + Box Elder + Cache + Rich is only a couple thousand people over exactly one district (when there are four districts), fixed when you drop North Salt Lake. Therefore, it will be difficult to justify tying part of the north around the west side of the lake where there are no roads again. Northern Utah is pretty parochial and will want its own district. That may defeat attempts at gerrymandering away Jim Matheson.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »

So, from a cursory glance, Matheson's to run in the yellow district - combining much of his downtown SLC territory with those rural parts of his district that he didn't do well in plus new rural territory that no Democrat has done well in for a lifetime? Why did they forget to excise the Navajo though?

It looks like the only Dem territory in that district is Salt Lake City itself. One wonders what will happen in a primary there.
His base was cut into 3 districts.
SLC really is his base (though I would suppose that part was cut up too, don't know the geography enough to judge), there are just some rural pockets that Dems are competitive in, either historically or lately, and somehow they all (Indians, Italian miners, hippy skibunnies) ended up in his district. Which is odd given that it was drawn to get rid of him... but then again other rural areas in the district were and are superheavily Republican, and have more votes.
Which makes me wonder why the Indians were left in.

FWIW, the ski bunnies are not in Matheson's district, and I don't think they've ever been in his district.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies