US House Redistricting: Kansas (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:32:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Kansas (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Kansas  (Read 27180 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »
« edited: January 20, 2012, 11:55:04 AM by jimrtex »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Back when Kansas had 3 districts, one district did run east to west across the state.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:05:11 PM »

Is it possible to go south of Wichita to connect western and SE Kansas?

As they've had to come east, they've gone north of Wichita rather than splitting Wichita, and they've had to keep going further east to make room for the Wichita district.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »

Hey, as an aside, I "found" a Minneapolis, KS. So now we have Manhattan, Pittsburgh, and Minneapolis. I wonder how many other such towns there are like that in the state. My favorite KS town of course is "Liberal," which isn't "liberal" at all. Smiley I wonder what its provenance is.

If this is a go, I will email it to the Speaker, with the screen shot and the drf file. He will probably think I am a pretty obsessive creative (obviously true), and laugh, but what the heck. If you want your name associated with any of this as a fellow state legislator lending "gravitas" to this all, let me know.
Are the plans named after famous politicians or just code names (like if you were naming the prototype of an OS or Iphone?

Ruth_Ann_and_Lynn

Bois_D_Arc

Baxter_Springs

Or maybe based on the Final Four being tonight:

Phog_Allen

James_Naismith (Kansan who invented basketball)

Wilt_Chamberlain (KU basketball player with wing-span as wide as KS-1)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 03:45:57 PM »

The Geary exception to that principle is carried over from the current map. I didn't change the boundary there.

Ah yes. For some reason they split both Geary and Nemeha 10 years ago.
Mostly it's Fort Riley, though I'm not sure all the populated smaller-area precincts are within the Fort? Anyways, the Fort as a CoI is split anyhow.
The Department of Defense doesn't like the Census Bureau to show where the population is.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »

It is mandated under federal law when a State loses representation.  This has been affirmed by the US Supreme Court.

In a case like Kansas, where the existing districts do not comply with one man one vote, it would be more reasonable for a federal court to impose at large election which was affirmed by Wesberry v Sanders as complying with OMOV, rather than a federal court usurping legislative prerogatives.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 10:18:28 AM »

Court has heard testimony for a couple of days, will likely draw its own Senate and Federal maps from scratch. (Though the Senate never voted on the House map, everyone agrees it's basically fine.)
You know what happened to the last Yarbrough who was elected don't you?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 02:36:47 PM »

Court has heard testimony for a couple of days, will likely draw its own Senate and Federal maps from scratch. (Though the Senate never voted on the House map, everyone agrees it's basically fine.)
You know what happened to the last Yarbrough who was elected don't you?
Let's put the jam on the lower shelf? His name was Yarb-O-rough. Tongue
Don Yarbrough
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies