US House Redistricting: Wisconsin
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:04:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: Wisconsin
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Wisconsin  (Read 28500 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »

Here's an article about a proposed Congressional map being passed around. PDF of the map is here.

Drops WI-07 down to 53-45 Obama and pushes WI-03 up to 59-39 Obama. All the other districts look to be pretty much unchanged, number-wise.
A competent map, with the innovation that Stevens Point is put in the west Wisconsin Dem CD, while WI-07 picks up GOP St. Croix. But WI-07 and WI-01 are too marginal for my taste. Granted, Ryan while he runs for re-election will do just fine.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2011, 11:37:10 PM »

Ryan did just fine before he became the main person behind something that is causing the GOP serious pain in far more conservative districts.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:42 PM »

Ryan did just fine before he became the main person behind something that is causing the GOP serious pain in far more conservative districts.

. . . Because Democrats have never tried to paint him as an extremest before.

I have (Liberal) family in his district, and from what i hear the Democrats have a better shot at dislodging Sensenbrenner than Ryan.  The man is a political maestro, and the "Ryan Medicare plan will sink the Republicans" line falls kind of flat when the June recess just passed without incidence.  Unless the Dems win like 270 seats in 2012, he'll win.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »

Yeah the Ryan Medicare plan didn't cause any problems for the GOP in NY-26 obviously.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 11:47:16 PM »

Yeah the Ryan Medicare plan didn't cause any problems for the GOP in NY-26 obviously.

Well, i could argue about that, but that's not my point.  We just had a big congressional recess, and you guys couldn't even scoop up a few busloads of protestors to make a scene?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 11:48:49 PM »

Ryan is headed for a Portillo Moment, no doubt about it. Duffy is still marginal, there's very little that could be done for him and his far to gaffe prone to ever be really secure.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 11:49:45 PM »

Why bother with protesters? It has zero chance of actually passing the Senate or getting past Obama's desk. On the other hand look at how insanely unpopular the GOP in general is in Wisconsin right now.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:49 AM »

Well, i could argue about that, but that's not my point.  We just had a big congressional recess, and you guys couldn't even scoop up a few busloads of protestors to make a scene?

The media doesn't care about protests in DC unless it's a Tea Party rally.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

There are rumors that the Republicans are going to try to shove through redistricting in a special session this week.

All 3 levels?

I'm not sure, but I don't see how they could do Congressional redistricting without the new ward data (since they would need to have zero deviation, while state legislative districts get a 5% leeway). Besides, they just need to do the state legislature right now to screw up the recalls.

Why is ward data even relevant?  The census block level data has been available for months.  That's what most states use to draw their maps, anyway.  Wards can be drawn from blocks, too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »

There are rumors that the Republicans are going to try to shove through redistricting in a special session this week.

All 3 levels?

I'm not sure, but I don't see how they could do Congressional redistricting without the new ward data (since they would need to have zero deviation, while state legislative districts get a 5% leeway). Besides, they just need to do the state legislature right now to screw up the recalls.

Why is ward data even relevant?  The census block level data has been available for months.  That's what most states use to draw their maps, anyway.  Wards can be drawn from blocks, too.

If I remember what I read a while ago, the Wisconsin is than the counties draw the wards during the summer and the Legislature draw the map the Fall after that, basing it on the new wards.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2011, 09:56:17 PM »

All 3 levels?

If I remember what I read a while ago, the Wisconsin is than the counties draw the wards during the summer and the Legislature draw the map the Fall after that, basing it on the new wards.

Well, if that's just the current law, it can be changed.  A past legislature can't bind the current one.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2011, 09:19:41 AM »

All 3 levels?

Well, if that's just the current law, it can be changed.  A past legislature can't bind the current one.

The problem with changing the current law is that it would increase costs on local governments by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars. Precints are set at the local level. If the state passes a bill that currently divides a precint, then local governments will have to scramble to draw new precinct boundaries. This will cost them money, both in the hours worked to draw the new maps, but in the voter education material that would have to be redesigned, printed and mailed. Unless the borders are based on existing municipal lines, I don't see how the GOP could pull this off without pissing off every local elected clear and board.

Not that this group seems interested in playing with others.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2011, 07:34:17 AM »

So yes, they are trying to ram through maps before the recalls.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 03:54:47 PM »

Where in the article does it say, "They are trying to ram through maps before the recalls?"

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »

Keep looking. When you find it, come back and post again.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2011, 04:24:52 PM »

Well, duh.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: June 24, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

This is something that Democrats should have done in New York in 2009/2010 to ensure that they kept the State Senate in 2010. 
BigSkyBob

« Reply #92 on: June 24, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »

The article noted the Speaker of the House as saying he hadn't decided anything one way or the other.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »

The article noted the Speaker of the House as saying he hadn't decided anything one way or the other.

You aren't very bright, are you?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2011, 08:58:28 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2011, 09:00:23 AM by BigSkyBob »

I know when speculation is presented as fact, and I know what Saul Alinski had to say about the use of sarcasm.

P.S. Resorting to sarcasm is an admission on your part that you were wrong, isn't it?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »

This is something that Democrats should have done in New York in 2009/2010 to ensure that they kept the State Senate in 2010. 

Pray tell how the Democrats in the State Senate were suppose to do it when the NY state Constitution requires that official census figures be used for the '02 years only to redistrict.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »

I know when speculation is presented as fact, and I know what Saul Alinski had to say about the use of sarcasm.

P.S. Resorting to sarcasm is an admission on your part that you were wrong, isn't it?

Reading Saul Alinski won't help you with the girls.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2011, 09:56:14 AM »

Reading Saul Alinski won't help you with the girls.

Being familiar with Saul Alinski will help one with ad hominem abuse posters on the internet.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2011, 12:04:54 AM »

Must every redistricting thread be ruined so? I have enough trouble getting the maps to load as it is, I prefer not to waste my bandwidth on such insignificant trash as this.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »

Angry old man Dave Obey is back again.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/opinion/column/dave_zweifel/article_60aa17d8-a343-11e0-80bf-001cc4c03286.html

Former U.S. Rep. Dave Obey stopped by the office last week on his statewide tour to alert Wisconsin citizens about the "crassly political" reapportionment plan that the state's Republican congressional delegation, led by Rep. Paul Ryan, is touting.

What is this guy's deal? Regret over retiring?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies