Drugs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:43:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Drugs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should you need a prescription to buy some drugs?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Drugs  (Read 2026 times)
angus
Atlas Icon
« on: November 20, 2004, 10:55:58 AM »

All drugs should be legal.  Why would I care what someone else takes? 

You'll care when they break into your home and steal your tv or hurt a family member.

that's why we also support the right to keep and bear (and use) arms.  break into a home with a Bush/Cheney sign in the yard and you know you're just asking for trouble  Wink

I'm with the druggies on this one.  Why should I have to drive all the way to mexico and smuggle valium and percoset back across?  If everything was OTC and taxed, the government could get the tax revenue, the demand wouldn't change, and the increased supply and competition would keep costs down.  Everybody wins.  (except the poor bastard who breaks into a GOP household at night)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 12:40:44 PM »

I'm with the druggies on this one.  Why should I have to drive all the way to mexico and smuggle valium and percoset back across?  If everything was OTC and taxed, the government could get the tax revenue, the demand wouldn't change, and the increased supply and competition would keep costs down.  Everybody wins.  (except the poor bastard who breaks into a GOP household at night)

...demand wouldn't change...   ??  I believe demand would DECREASE since the incentive for pushers to lurk around elementary school playgrounds and give some product away to get new customers hooked would be gone.

I thought about that even as I was typing.  Correct, demand cannot predictably decrease, unless we assume that the demand comes from the fact that whatever's illegal is what people want.  You, and many others, have bemoaned the traditionalism that pervades our culture, and you cite it as a reason Bush won.  Now, if you really believe that, you cannot turn around and claim that nonconformity dictates demand.  That is, trying to have it both ways, or either way, whichever is convenient for the present argumentative purpose, is patently illogical.  But, all that logic aside for the moment, you're probably right that some folks want to try stuff just because mommy and daddy say "no"  Still, mommy and daddy are no less likely to say no to stuff like valium, percoset, dilaudid, morphine, etc., just because it becomes available over-the-counter.  I don't think your argument will stand the test of objectivity.  Or logic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies