2008: An Election of Firsts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:26:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: An Election of Firsts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Should this timeline:
end now?

go until 2008?

go until 2012?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: 2008: An Election of Firsts  (Read 19896 times)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

Rice will win this election, she's a better candidate than Kerry, who'd make a better president.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

Rice will win this election, she's a better candidate than Kerry, who'd make a better president.

I don't know about that.  Kerry is like Obama in that he focuses on what's popular but only when the DNC side is popular.  He'd only move to the center if he was dragged there, kicking and screaming, by a GOP congress.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2012, 01:08:35 PM »

Republican Nation Convention Summery 2008
Day 1- Monday, August 25th

Speech by Former President George W. Bush:
“Condi is a tireless worker, in my administration following 9-11 she was a tireless worker for the families of those who lost their lives on that terrible day.”

Speech by Former Vice President Richard Cheney:
“The time for failure is over. Unless you want another 4 years of a waffle-house President vote for Rice”

Speech by George H.W. Bush:
“I admit at first I was reluctant to support her. But she has proved all my reasons I didn’t want to as false. She’s a true patriot and will be a terrific President.”

Speech by Mitch McConnell:
“The liberals are wrong, they’re not the party of minorities. We are. The GOP truly wants to help all races while those on the other side of the aisle just exploit their votes.”

Day 2- Tuesday, August 26th

Speech by Ron Paul:
“Rice is fighting for liberty! And fighting against those who would do away with the Constitution at that! She has earned both my support and my respect from this campaign.”

Speech by Tim Pawlenty:
“Kerry has failed, and now he has the nerve to ask for a second term….. say no America vote Rice/Romney 2012!”

Speeches also given by:
Kay Bailey Hutchinson
Norm Coleman
Linda Lingle

Day 3- Wednesday, August 27th

Speech by Romney:
“The liberal policies that are dragging our nation down have failed and President Kerry doesn’t care. Rice knows what works and so do I stop dividing and conquering America but come up with a strong standing solution!”

Meg Whitman, CEO of eBay
“Rice’s journey is one of bravery and conviction. Even though the odds were against her in the beginning she is truly proving those who said there’d never be an African-American or female president wrong.”

Speeches also given by:
Ann Romney
Newt Gingrich
Sam Brownback
Mike Huckabee

Day 4- Thursday, August 28th

Speech by Condoleezza Rice:
“I do accept this nomination for President of the United States. America is fed up with one-sided policies and feels like there’s no way out. But let me tell you the key one to fixing our nation. Dump Kerry. I will work to find bi-partisan solutions to the problems we face. I will work to return America to its path of Greatness. I will work to save the nation we love from heartache and regret.
Thank You America for this wonderful opportunity!!!!”

Speeches also given by:
Rudy Giuliani
Joseph Libermann
Bill Frist
Sarah Palin
Colin Powell
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2012, 09:46:13 PM »

2008 Democratic Convention Summary
Day 1- Monday, September 1st

Speech by Caroline Kennedy:
“Kerry represented Massachusetts honorably and now has also represented America honorably. Anyone who disagrees is just plain wrong! He has the same passion for his job that I remember my father had when I was a little girl.”

Speech by Edward Kennedy:
“Serving as a Senator with him was very inspiring. Kerry isn’t the partisan old windbag the Republican’s make him our to be. He’s an honest, hardworking man fighting for our nation.”

Speeches also by:
Teresa Heinz Kerry
Nancy Pelosi

Day 2- Tuesday, September 2nd

Speech by Hillary Clinton:
“Kerry will lead our party to victory, in both the Presidency and Congress. I support him America and you should too!”

Following Clinton’s speech Kerry came out to announce his Vice Presidential choice.

“Hello Ladies and Gentlemen and thank you for your kind words. This address will be short as my main one is later this week, but I’m here to announce my Vice Presidential nominee. This man has served our nation with dignity for many, many years. In the Senate he was a great friend and colleague of mine. He is truly presidential and has the experience we need in the White House today……. Today I’m honored to announce my Vice Presidential Nominee, Joseph Biden!”

“Thank you very much John for those kind words. America is changing. In some cases for the better in others for the worse, us as Democrats encourage the good changes and stop the bad. Change is what’s got us to where in the world we are today and without it we’d have the questionable practices of slavery, segregation, or even Monarchy. Change is what makes us Americans, heck it even makes us human and the Republicans want to stop that. They want America to fall behind by not changing it. Allowing thousands to go hungry around the nation, thousands of immigrants to not receive citizenship to the land they came to for a better opportunity. That’s ridiculous. America’s changing and so are we. Thank you!”

Speeches also given by:
Bob Casey Jr.
Claire McCaskill
Maria Cantwell
Barbara Boxer
Harry Reid

Day 3- Wednesday, September 3rd

Speech by Bill Clinton:
“America needs to realize the Republicans would hurt our nation right now. The ideas they preach would leave thousands without food, money, or a livelihood. That’s why I support John Kerry.”

Speech by Mark Warner:
“Kerry has, and will continue to, lead this nation with the utmost vigilance. Rice and the Republicans meanwhile intend on scheming and circulating lies on Kerry and the Democratic Party, its just ridiculous they’d resort to such a low measure. Today begins a new day, a better day, and a stronger day!”

Speeches also given by:
Bill Richardson
Howard Dean
Patty Murray
Tom Harkin

Day 4- Thursday, September 4th

Speech by Kerry:
“Today I fully intend to lead us to victory so we can help America change and grow. We may not foresee the future but we can prepare for it. Today begins a new day and the start of a new journey for all of us. The time for partisan bickering is over. The time for solutions is now!”

Speeches also given by:
Janet Napolitano
Kathleen Sebelius
 Reg Weaver
Jesse Jackson Jr
Sherrod Brown
Ron Wyden
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »

I'm going to do a brief summary of the next 2 months and then start with election coverage either today or tomorrow.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2012, 12:13:04 PM »

This is really good! Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »

After the election polls began o rebound for the Kerry/Biden campaign. September opened as a strong month for their campaign with the convention and then heavy campaigning all around the nation. Rice and Romney also has many events. Rice went overseas to visit with the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and Romney barnstormed all through New England and the Midwest. America grew more excited as the election grew closer.

Who do you support for President?
Condoleezza Rice 52%
John Kerry 47%

However the great times were coming to a close. The economy began to continually slip and several economic experts began to state that they viewed the U.S. was now in a recession. By September 15th massive layoffs began as companies began filing for bankruptcy. The stock market looked shaky and unemployment although had been gradually rising was expected to shoot higher following Septembers bleak outlook. Banks began declaring bankruptcy ad the Democrats began sponsoring a bailout but it didn’t pass in neither the House or the Senate. The following day when news of this was heard on wall street the DOW crumbled. The stock dropped 784.5 points which was the biggest numerical loss in its history. This began a domino effect and the world economy as a whole began to weaken. Companies besides banks began declaring bankruptcy and Kerry’s standing began to fall for the second time in the election. By October unemployment began t skyrocket and the election moved its focus towards the economy. In hindsight Rice made the perfect choice of choosing Mitt Romney as he had a successful record as a businessman in most of the country’s eyes.

“It’s the economy stupid” originally a Democratic Phrase was used heavily by the Republicans up until election day. Although Kerry rebounded a few points in the polls the outlook looked bleak. The best his campaign could likely do would be to make the election close. But it was definitely certain there would be no Kerry landslide or a definitive choice by America in his favor. If he won it’s be by a nose. Some media networks began speculation that this election might even lead to  a realignment in the future because both Romney and Rice weren’t hardcore conservatives and their might be another Democratic candidate from the South who’d garner more votes while the Republicans made gains in the Midwest.

Whatever the outcome America began voting on Tuesday November 4th
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »

Final Polling Map
Rice 257
Kerry 186
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2012, 04:55:09 PM »

What's up with Nebraska?

Good update - I personally think Rice would be winning by more. Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2012, 05:27:14 PM »

What's up with Nebraska?

Good update - I personally think Rice would be winning by more. Smiley

Whoops Nebraska's a mistake its supposed to be darker I might be able to fix it. Generally Rice is beating Kerry by pretty large margins in nationwide polling, and Kerry is suffering from a lack of enthusiasm from most of his party so you can expect some variations in turnout. The states that are really light are essentially swing states with one party leading, in most polls just not all while the gray ones are complete tossups. So Rice is doing better than it looks but the election still has the chance to become close.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »

“Hello and welcome to CNN’s historic coverage of America’s Choice 2008. I’m Wolf Blitzer here with Anderson Cooper, John King, Candy Crowley, and with special political insight from James Carville among others. Tonight we see the battle of 2 political titans. Condoleezza Rice is gunning to become both the first female and African American president while John Kerry pushes to keep the Democrats in power. Also tonight, will GOP hold on to Congress? We’ll show and you’ll decide………”

“Thanks for the into Wolf....6 states have stopped voting and even though we may not have results from all of them we are certainly able to make several calls….. Our first Projection of the evening…. John Kerry will hold onto the state of Vermont, this is a strongly Democratic state and it appears the economic downturn will have little impact on their votes according to our exit polls.”

Vermont 0% Reporting
John Kerry 0%
Condoleezza Rice 0%

Next up…. We have 4 calls for Condoleezza Rice, yes I repeat 4 calls for Condoleezza Rice… first off Indiana, solidly Conservative and not much of a surprise. The same goes for Kentucky which we’ve been getting speedy results from.”

Indiana 3% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 58%
John Kerry 41%

Kentucky <1% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 59%
John Kerry 40%

“South Carolina as well will be a definitive victory for Condoleezza Rice exit polling shows. It voted for Bush both times and the GOP keeps the state tonight.”

South Carolina 1% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 55%
John Kerry 43%

“First goes South Carolina, then goes Georgia. Rice keeps Georgia. Also not particularly surprising. Georgia has been trending Republican since the 1990’s and some would argue even earlier than that.”

Georgia <1% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 54%
John Kerry 45%

“We said 4 states for Rice but we’ve just got our exit polling back from the ground and we can confirm that the Former National Security Advisor will gain Virginia as well…. Early in the campaign it looked as a potential gain for the Democrats but Rice proves that wrong tonight…….”

Virginia 4% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 54%
John Kerry 44%

"Look how this translates to our national map..... Rice is trouncing Kerry so far but most of the states are Republican strongholds.."

Condoleezza Rice/Mitt Romney 55 Electoral Votes
John Kerry/Joe Biden 3 Electoral Votes

“We’ll be back after a few messages, more analysis and results coming after this. Stay tuned and thank you for watching CNN…”
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »

“Welcome back to CNN’s Election Night Coverage of Decision 2012. As you’ve seen in the past few moments Rice picked up 5 states while President Kerry only picked up one. That being said, 3 more states close in just a couple of minutes and those are some of the swing states that could decide the election. Ohio, West Virginia, and Vermont. Ohio may be able to give us a sense of how voting is going tonight as it generally sides with the winners. But so far we’re seeing very low turnout for President Kerry, especially as we were just talking about during the break in Georgia and Virginia. Both could have been paths to Kerry’s victory but it appears that voters in those states just had a large lack of enthusiasm……… here we go polls closing in 5….4….3….2…..1….. we are going to call 2 states: West Virginia and North Carolina for Condoleezza Rice. We don’t exit polling back from Ohio yet but we might be able to call that state momentarily as well. But Rice will carry West Virginia and North Carolina both voted for Bush and stay in the Republican column tonight.”

West Virginia 0% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 0%
John Kerry 0%

North Carolina <1% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 53%
John Kerry 45%

Condoleezza Rice 67 Electoral Votes
John Kerry 3 Electoral Votes

“We’ll be back hopefully with Ohio’s results stay tuned.”
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »

No big surprises yet, though I'm surprised more New England returns haven't come in yet.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »

“In just a few moments the polls will close covering most of the Northeast and the South, but first we have a call from around 15 minutes ago. Ohio, Kerry’s path to victory in 2004 goes for Condoleezza Rice, there was some speculation it would decide the President tonight. This has to be very good news for the Rice camp..”

Ohio 15% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 54%
John Kerry 46%

“It is and the fact in came out so fast also has to be encouraging. Our reporter at Rice’s headquarters just told us how loud the cheering just got. Its an interesting moment right now.”

“Here we go the next poll closings are jut seconds away and we have several calls to make.”

“Rice will hold strong and win Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, Florida, and Oklahoma. All strong Conservative states but still they add points to her electoral count.”

Tennessee <1% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 60%
John Kerry 39%

Mississippi 1% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 61%
John Kerry 37%

Alabama 2% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 64%
John Kerry 35%

Missouri 2% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 56%
John Kerry 44%

Oklahoma 3% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 69%
John Kerry 20%

Florida 13% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 54%
John Kerry 45%

“For President Kerry CNN Predicts he will carry Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, and Washington D.C. Just as the South is conservative the Northeast is generally more liberal. However the biggest surprise right now is the states we haven’t called.”

Massachusetts 3% Reporting
John Kerry 61%
Condoleezza Rice 38%

Connecticut 1% Reporting
John Kerry 58%
Condoleezza Rice 41%

Maryland 2% Reporting
John Kerry 59%
Condoleezza Rice 40%

Delaware 2% Reporting
John Kerry 61%
Condoleezza Rice 37%

Washington D.C. 7% Reporting
John Kerry 57%
Condoleezza Tice 42%

“We are unable to decide a winner in the races in Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Kerry won every one of those last election by a large amount but that doesn’t seem to be the case tonight.”

Maine 1% Reporting
John Kerry 52%
Condoleezza Rice 48%

New Hampshire 2% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 50%
John Kerry 50%

New Jersey <1% Reporting
John Kerry 50%
Condoleezza Rice 50%

Pennsylvania 1% Reporting
John Kerry 51%
Condoleezza Rice 49%

Condoleezza Rice 166 Electoral Votes
John Kerry 42 Electoral Votes
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »

Ohio and Virginia are good wins for Rice. She should win handily Smiley.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2012, 10:56:40 PM »

Keep it up! Smiley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2012, 05:21:17 AM »

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2012, 04:13:52 PM »

“In just moments Arkansas will end statewide voting and we have a projection to make, but first, from earlier, we can call all of Maine except for one district for President Kerry. Mine votes differently so it is still possible for Rice to make an inroad there tonight…”

Maine 38% Reporting
John Kerry 55%
Condoleezza Rice 44%

“Now Arkansas, home state of Bill Clinton has turned Republican since he left office and will do so again tonight. Not too surprising but it’s still one more state Rice will carry and Kerry wont.”

Arkansas 2% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 58%
John Kerry 40%

One ½ hour to go until we normally are able to project the highest number of states at one time…. But first Has the falling of Ohio and Florida ruined Kerry’s chances tonight?”

John King- “It has hurt his chances but we can’t count him out yet. The West will be crucial from here on out. Booming Latino populations may help him win Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada and if that were to become a reality this map could change and Kerry could pull of a slim victory. So generally yes Florida and Ohio have hurt him but he still has a small chance of reaching 270 Electoral Votes.”

“Now before we go to break we have a projection to make…… Rice carries New Hampshire. It went to Bush in 2000 but Kerry in 2004…. The economy had a huge effect on voters minds here but yes that adds more votes to Rice’s total.”

New Hampshire 39% Reporting
Condoleezza Rice 53%
John Kerry 45%

Condoleezza Rice 177 Electoral Votes
John Kerry 45 Electoral Votes

“We’ll be back…..”
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »

It was obvious from the beggining. Condie is a very good candidate. Kerry is not.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »

It was obvious from the beggining. Condie is a very good candidate. Kerry is not.
Yeah, I probably made it a little obvious... the real interesting election results going to be in the epilogue......
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2012, 05:24:39 PM »

Curious to see if Rice can take Illinois!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »

Curious to see if Rice can take Illinois!
Working on a pretty long update, hopefully done by Sunday but it may take til Monday afternoon.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies