What's your Menelik number?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:36:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your Menelik number?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Read below
0-2.99

3.00-5.99

6.00-11.99

12-24.99

25.00+

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: What's your Menelik number?  (Read 3364 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2010, 10:12:33 PM »

27/2 = 13.5
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2010, 10:17:16 PM »

25.00+
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2010, 03:43:08 AM »

24 / (US, Mexico, Indonesia, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, the Netherlands) = 1.7

Clearly that means I am a supremely cultured and well-rounded individual.

...but not THE supremely cultured individual that I am. Booze trips to Finland and beach trips to the West Indies. Does it get more cultural, that's all I'm asking?

It does look like I'm still in the lead here but then again, living in Europe gives you something of an unfair disadvantage. I can hardly leave home without falling into a foreign country.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 03:53:27 AM »

Canada, USA and Mexico. My parents aren't wealthy and because my family travels to Mexico all the time there's never money for anything else. I've been to more Mexican states in detail than American states. (Yucatan, Quintana Roo, D.F., SLP, Nueva Leon, Saltillo, Michocan, Guanajauto, Tamaulipas, Puebla and Zacatecas vs Idaho, Washington, Maryland, Virginia, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and D.C.)

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »

About 1.9. Caribbean cruises inflate (or properly, deflate) the total.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2010, 11:58:43 AM by patrick1 »

I guess it depends on whether you consider Greenland part of Denmark or the Cayman Islands- the UK.  I'll be 33 next month, yikes.  I have US, Canada, Bahamas, Mexico, Haiti, Jamaica, Cayman, Ireland (Republic and North) Scotland, England, France, Denmark, Iceland and Greenland.  I had a Heineken at Amsterdam airport on my way to Belfast but I really cant count that.

However, I havent been aboard in a couple of years now. I should be going to Chile this spring so that will get me a South American country.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »

24 / (US, Mexico, Indonesia, Australia, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, the Netherlands) = 1.7

...but not THE supremely cultured individual that I am. Booze trips to Finland and beach trips to the West Indies. Does it get more cultural, that's all I'm asking?

It does look like I'm still in the lead here but then again, living in Europe gives you something of an unfair disadvantage. I can hardly leave home without falling into a foreign country.

Yeah, there are a few flaws in a system that values spending a day in Liechtenstein the same as living several months in Indonesia.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 01:06:40 PM »

18 years old/3 countries = 6
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »

Yeah, there are a few flaws in a system that values spending a day in Liechtenstein the same as living several months in Indonesia.

But then again the number of people who can claim to have spent a day in Lichtenstein is vastly smaller than the number who have lived several months in Indonesia.

I agree that there is a fundamental asymmetry comparing Europeans to Americans by this measure. For the Europeans the fairer measure would be to count the EU as a single entity, or allow Americans to count each state separately.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »

Currently 12, but when I go to Egypt in a couple of months, it will drop to 8.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 07:28:23 PM »

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 07:42:26 PM »

I agree that there is a fundamental asymmetry comparing Europeans to Americans by this measure. For the Europeans the fairer measure would be to count the EU as a single entity, or allow Americans to count each state separately.

Not quite a fair comparison I'd say.

Anyway, under such a measure my 2 would fall back to 3.25
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 01:46:30 AM »

Not quite a fair comparison I'd say.

Anyway, under such a measure my 2 would fall back to 3.25

<<from an island a million miles from anywhere. So quit your whining, northerner scum.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 04:28:42 AM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2010, 07:29:02 AM »

But then again the number of people who can claim to have spent a day in Lichtenstein is vastly smaller than the number who have lived several months in Indonesia.

That's hardly fair though, since having visited all states in the EU would definitely be more broadening than all the states in the US. It is one country after all.
danieleregge
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 06:45:36 PM »

Here in Europe we use to calculate the Menelik Number exactly in the opposite way.
The Menelik Number is obtained dividing the visited countries by the traveler's age.
So, if you have visited 55 countries and you are 28, your Menelik Number will be 1,96.
Your MN will grow if you'll be able to keep visiting new countries year after year.
Normally you count all the 192 independent countries with a seat at the UN, plus all the dependencies and autonomous territories (like Cayenne, American Virgin islands, Faer Oer, etc...)
You can find a complete list on Wikipedia.
I've read also that the Menelik Number was invented by the italian doctor and journalist Giovanni Turco
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »

The European way I have a score of 0.074. There should be a similar method created for states. I have visited 14 + DC, so 27/14 = 1.8. And two Canadian provinces. As an adult I have only been to 7 states (Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana.)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 07:42:23 PM »

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:28 AM »

Two and a third exactly.
freek
Netherlands

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »

Netherlands
Germany
Belgium
UK
Denmark
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Estonia
Latvia
Poland
Czech Republic
Hungary
Austria
Italy
Vatican City
Spain
Bulgaria
USA

19 countries, not counting 2 transfer trips through France and Switzerland.

30/19 = 1.58
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »

The European way I have a score of 0.074. There should be a similar method created for states. I have visited 14 + DC, so 27/14 = 1.8. And two Canadian provinces. As an adult I have only been to 7 states (Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana.)

I've visited 15 plus DC, so it's a tick above 1 (exactly 1 if you count DC).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies