US House Redistricting: West Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:59:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  US House Redistricting: West Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: West Virginia  (Read 37977 times)
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 11:20:19 PM »

Doesn't really work; Charleston screws up the no-county-splits thing, since it's the biggest county and is in just the wrong spot.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »

Any way to swap Huntington and Charleston?  It would make the green seat the Ohio River seat instead of pretending that it is the northwestern seat in a oddly shaped state.  Or would that have to come to far east further north, so it wouldn't really be a river seat.

How about this? I got great population equality out of it, although the green district is slightly less compact.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:51 PM »

Any way to swap Huntington and Charleston?  It would make the green seat the Ohio River seat instead of pretending that it is the northwestern seat in a oddly shaped state.  Or would that have to come to far east further north, so it wouldn't really be a river seat.

How about this? I got great population equality out of it, although the green district is slightly less compact.

I think it has good thematic compactness:

Ohio River
Charleston and Coalfields
Monongahela and Eastern Panhandle
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 03:00:40 PM »

It's probably as balanced as you'll get on these estimates, and despite the issue with Nicholas County it's not horribly noncompact.

It also pits Moore Capito into an uphill battle against Rahall, or perhaps rather into a statewide run, and probably leaves the GOP slight favorites in both north seats, with McKinley running in the green one.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »

Drawing Capito in with Rahall is probably the best way to get her to take that risk and run for Senate or Governor.

The question is, would Democrats want that? Tongue

I'd have to question whether someone that risk-adverse when it comes to political ambition is really worth appeasing.   By the time she figures out that the map disfavors her and acts, she won't have as easy of a time clearing the Republican primary for statewide office [and given her moderate profile...] and that route becomes increasingly perilous too.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2011, 03:24:10 AM »

How likely is it they will stick with a map similar to what they already have? A northern seat, a southern seat, and a seat that stretches though the center across the state.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »

How likely is it they will stick with a map similar to what they already have? A northern seat, a southern seat, and a seat that stretches though the center across the state.

If you read this thread, not very likely. WV is required by it's state law to not split counties unless absolutely necessary for population equality. The middle district is overpopulated relative to the other two so has to lose territory, but is only a single county wide through most of the state so making it smaller but with the same area isn't really possible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2011, 10:18:34 AM »

In any case the current setup was only drawn to screw Staggers in 1992. He's only 59, btw.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2011, 10:47:40 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2011, 10:50:04 AM by Bacon King »

Oh hey, actually, you can keep the districts pretty close to the same with only a few minor adjustments:

Gilmer from CD 1 to CD 2.
Lewis from CD 2 to CD 1.

Putnam from CD 2 to CD 3.
Nicholas and Webster from CD 3 to CD 2.

That puts CD 1 at +223, CD 2 at +413, and CD 3 at -637.

Don't know what effect that'd have on the 3rd district, though; Putnam has a lot of GOP votes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2011, 11:55:46 AM »

Democrats from the southern mining counties won't want Putnam (Charleston outer suburbia) in their district.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2011, 01:56:04 AM »

HB 2968 before the WV legislature would provide for a non-binding referendum on the secession of Morgan, Berkeley and Jefferson counties to Virginia.  This could cause a loss of a district to the remainder of West Virginia and an additional one Virginia, if the apportionment would be adjusted.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2011, 11:35:53 AM »

HB 2968 before the WV legislature would provide for a non-binding referendum on the secession of Morgan, Berkeley and Jefferson counties to Virginia.  This could cause a loss of a district to the remainder of West Virginia and an additional one Virginia, if the apportionment would be adjusted.

Presumably the apportionment wouldn't be changed, since what matters is the state population at the time of the Census. Would be an intriguing Constitutional question, anyway. Is this being seriously considered?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2011, 11:51:48 AM »

Presumably the apportionment wouldn't be changed, since what matters is the state population at the time of the Census. Would be an intriguing Constitutional question, anyway. Is this being seriously considered?
It was referred to committee.  The proposal was from a representative from Berkeley.  I don't know it was serious, or rhetorical - Charleston pays us no never mind.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »

This is the best plan I came up with. I tried to keep the shape of the districts similar to their current forms.

CD1 (OLIVE colored for OLIVErio!)- I designed this district so that Oliverio would win a rematch against McKinley. I added Calhoun county, from CD 2, which seems to be a bellwether county (it went 52-44 for Manchin); it would have probably pushed Oliverio over the top last year.

CD2 (Red) This gets slightly more Democratic. It trades out Putnam county (which voted for Raese) in exchange for Nicholas and Webster, both of which Manchin won easily. Still safe for Capito, but when she steps down, a Dixiecrat would have a good chance here.

CD3 (Purple) This trades out Webster and Nicholas, as I said, and gets Putnam. Safe for Rahall, but another coal-friendly Dixiecrat will likely win here when he retires.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 04:39:52 AM »

Democrats from the southern mining counties won't want Putnam (Charleston outer suburbia) in their district.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »

This is the best plan I could get that keeps Putnam in CD2.

It would make CD1 slightly harder for Oliverio to win, so I'd rather go with my first plan.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »

Nobody seems to have presented a north/east/southwest type map yet.

We've seen better balanced seats though, this one is -711/+1502/-792.

I kind of like how Nick Rahall gets the most Republican seat. Grin (58.1 TPP, vs 57.5 for McWhatever and 54.4 for Capito.)

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »

Interesting idea, but I don't think the Legislature would do that to Rahall...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2011, 12:24:19 PM »

Damn contiguity requirement. Angry Evil

Give Rahall McDowell, Mingo, Wyoming and Logan in comparison to here, shed Grant, Randolph, Barbour, Upshur, Webster and Nicholas to blue, and give Capito Wood, Ritchie and (from purple) Clay, and you have a noticeably more Democratic seat for Rahall in the same basic setup and the lowest population deviation I've seen so far: +29/+2/-32. But no contiguity. Tucker's still in Rahall's district.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2011, 12:57:32 PM »

This is the bets map I've come up with.
This should satisfy Capito and Rahall while helping Oliverio.

WV-01: Sheds Mineral county (54-43 Raese) in favor of adding Wirt, Calhoun and Roane (which all went for Manchin by about his statewide 53-43 margin). Oliverio should have an easier time here.

WV-02: 'Gets Mineral from the 1st and gives Mason to the 3rd. Capito should approve.

WV-03: Stays the same but adds Mason (61-36 Manchin) and thus gets marginally more Democratic.

Deviations:

WV-01: +577
WV-02: +946
WV-03: -1524
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »

The dems are on borrowed time in wv-03 so im not sure I'd try to strengthen it much.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:09 AM »

The dems are on borrowed time in wv-03 so im not sure I'd try to strengthen it much.

Ostensibly, yes. But don't forget that the Democratic bench is very deep in WV; lots of Dixiecrats are still around. The Republicans have nobody.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »

Dixiecrats? Oh, no, no, no... something else.

No particular reason to assume that; the only part of the district where recent (downballot) voting patterns have been at all ominous is the Beckley area.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2011, 11:18:36 AM »

Dixiecrats? Oh, no, no, no... something else.

No particular reason to assume that; the only part of the district where recent (downballot) voting patterns have been at all ominous is the Beckley area.

Well,  not Dixiecrats, per se. What I meant was their are still a lot of white conservative Democrats in WV.
Kevinstat

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:03 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2011, 08:59:06 PM by Kevinstat »

Nobody seems to have presented a north/east/southwest type map yet.

We've seen better balanced seats though, this one is -711/+1502/-792.

I get -711/+2702/-1992 (or rather -710.67/+2702.33/-1991.67 the way I calculate it - I'm a mathematical purist).  And I double checked districts 2 and 3.

Damn contiguity requirement. Angry Evil

Give Rahall McDowell, Mingo, Wyoming and Logan in comparison to here, shed Grant, Randolph, Barbour, Upshur, Webster and Nicholas to blue, and give Capito Wood, Ritchie and (from purple) Clay, and you have a noticeably more Democratic seat for Rahall in the same basic setup and the lowest population deviation I've seen so far: +29/+2/-32. But no contiguity. Tucker's still in Rahall's district.

Upshur and Barbour counties are already in blue in the above map that you seemed to be referring to.  And with the other changes, I get -33323.67/+2.33/+33321.33 .  Moving Tucker to blue and making all three districts contiguous yeilds -26182.67/+2.33/+26180.33 .
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies