DREAM Act passes in House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:50:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DREAM Act passes in House
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: DREAM Act passes in House  (Read 2989 times)
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »

This better fail.

What Democrats voted no in the House by the way? 198 voted no I heard.
But what about the option to serve in the military? Personally I feel if they put their lives on the line, let 'em stay. Hell, most AMERICANS don't do that much for their country.

Nah, the better option would be to have them serve in the military, and then still give them a kick at their ass. Republicans should look into that. They can solve the problem of not enough recruits for the military and still make sure Hispanic turnout is low. Win-win. Smiley
Ingenious! That's the greatest idea since Reagonomics! Wink
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 03:40:37 PM »

Damn Sad

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 03:45:30 PM »

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 04:08:34 PM »

This was never going to pass, of course.  Indiana is a weird state, but you have to think Lugar's going to get a challenger.

Btw, I'm glad the thing didn't pass.  Though some of the goals of the idea behind the legislation are noble, if not correct, imo, it's basically a disaster in present form, as I read the bill.

Basically, there's been only one real surprise this lame-duck session.  Actually, two, but I consider the first to be far more surprising.  Everything else has gone about as I suspected.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

Basically, there's been only one real surprise this lame-duck session.  Actually, two, but I consider the first to be far more surprising.  Everything else has gone about as I suspected.

Every time I read Sam's posts I get a feeling I'm reading the horoscope.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 05:10:05 PM »

The fact that 55-41 means failure to pass still blows my mind. You'd think it would surprise me less by now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »

The fact that 55-41 means failure to pass still blows my mind. You'd think it would surprise me less by now.

Indeed. As I've argued so many times....the majority should pass whatever it wants, as long as it's upheld by the courts.

Let the opposition change it if they can convince voters of their policies.

Elections should mean something.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 07:10:54 PM »

This better fail.

But what about the option to serve in the military? Personally I feel if they put their lives on the line, let 'em stay. Hell, most AMERICANS don't do that much for their country.

The military maybe, but certainly not just for going to college which was also included. There were other problems, especially dealing with the verification aspect of this bill.

The only way I could support a massive path to legalization (which 2 million is certainly massive) would be is if you had the military as one option and any others would require them as the first step to leave the country for a period of time (1 or 2 years).  That way it removes the incentive for further illegal immigration necessitating serial amnesties. You also need have a strict and effective verification system to ensure they meet the standards to qualify for the program like being brought in as a child, to reduce it being gamed and taken advantage of.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2010, 07:14:57 PM »

lol
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »

This better fail.

The military maybe, but certainly not just for going to college which was also included. There were other problems, especially dealing with the verification aspect of this bill.

The only way I could support a massive path to legalization (which 2 million is certainly massive) would be is if you had the military as one option and any others would require them as the first step to leave the country for a period of time (1 or 2 years).  That way it removes the incentive for further illegal immigration necessitating serial amnesties. You also need have a strict and effective verification system to ensure they meet the standards to qualify for the program like being brought in as a child, to reduce it being gamed and taken advantage of.
Makes sense, as well as, for the military option, only being possible if they gain an honoroble discharge.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2010, 08:01:28 PM »

This better fail.

Makes sense, as well as, for the military option, only being possible if they gain an honoroble discharge.

Well I don't intend to write the bill here myself and thus cover all potential loopholes, but yeah. Tongue
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »

The United States Senate really is a bizzare body. 55% isn't a majority now?
Mavvy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.94, S: -6.87

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2010, 09:33:40 PM »

Yeah, basically, a senator opposed to a particular bill can say they filibuster it, and then it basically requires 60 votes to pass, not 50. It's a stupid rule.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:35 AM »

Filibusterer.  It's the reason The Bush tax cuts had expiration dates on them in the first place.

Though it's also worth noting that this almost certainly wouldn't have passed in either house of the recently-elected Congress, so it's sort of a lame-duck guard.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies