Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:51:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes  (Read 18576 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2010, 06:08:48 PM »

Percicution people for their religous beliefs is bad.

No it isn't.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2010, 06:59:01 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

I happen to agree with this repeal. First let me say this, I'm a strong Christian, but I'm also politically-independent. I have a very weird view on this. First off, I HATE homosexuality, it goes against everything the Lord my God teaches. However, I have to agree with Hillary Clinton when she said "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight". I come at it from a defense point of view. We have lost many strategic and key people in our military because of DADT. For example, we have had several soldiers who could translate Arabic, the predominate language of the muslim terrorists, be discharged because of their sexual orientation.  I think this move actually does strengthen our defenses.  If you want to talk about our morality slipping, it flew out the window ages ago.  Plus, I don't think my God wants me to discriminate against anyone.  I am called to love people.  I love the sinner, but hate the sin.  Homosexuality is no more severe of a sin than telling a little white lie.  The consequences may be more severe, but in God's eyes, a sin is a sin is a sin and it doesn't matter whether you miss heaven by a half inch or 100,000 miles. The fact is, you still missed it.  If we banned homosexuality in the military, then to be fair, we'd have to ban everyone who has told a lie, which just about encompasses everybody.  So, that's my view on the situation.

This is not meant to offend anyone, just gives my views.

You go against everything I believe in quite frankly; in how you treat your working life, your family and your relationships. You are a model to the forum in how not to live your life.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »

BushOklahoma is a bigoted fake Christian.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

I happen to agree with this repeal. First let me say this, I'm a strong Christian, but I'm also politically-independent. I have a very weird view on this. First off, I HATE homosexuality, it goes against everything the Lord my God teaches. However, I have to agree with Hillary Clinton when she said "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight". I come at it from a defense point of view. We have lost many strategic and key people in our military because of DADT. For example, we have had several soldiers who could translate Arabic, the predominate language of the muslim terrorists, be discharged because of their sexual orientation.  I think this move actually does strengthen our defenses.  If you want to talk about our morality slipping, it flew out the window ages ago.  Plus, I don't think my God wants me to discriminate against anyone.  I am called to love people.  I love the sinner, but hate the sin.  Homosexuality is no more severe of a sin than telling a little white lie.  The consequences may be more severe, but in God's eyes, a sin is a sin is a sin and it doesn't matter whether you miss heaven by a half inch or 100,000 miles. The fact is, you still missed it.  If we banned homosexuality in the military, then to be fair, we'd have to ban everyone who has told a lie, which just about encompasses everybody.  So, that's my view on the situation.

You go against everything I believe in quite frankly; in how you treat your working life, your family and your relationships. You are a model to the forum in how not to live your life.

Haha, Thanks for sharing!!  I know I do things a heck of a lot differently than most people, and I could stand to learn a few things in a few areas.  I'm not disappointed in myself or anything like that.  In fact, right now, I have a lot of joy in my life.  Joy unspeakable.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »

Haha!! Thank you, that gives me courage to keep on keepin' on!!!!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2010, 07:37:39 PM »

It's fitting a supposed reverend in a bigoted, compromised church would engage in immoral scamming.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:21 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

I happen to agree with this repeal. First let me say this, I'm a strong Christian, but I'm also politically-independent. I have a very weird view on this. First off, I HATE homosexuality, it goes against everything the Lord my God teaches. However, I have to agree with Hillary Clinton when she said "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight". I come at it from a defense point of view. We have lost many strategic and key people in our military because of DADT. For example, we have had several soldiers who could translate Arabic, the predominate language of the muslim terrorists, be discharged because of their sexual orientation.  I think this move actually does strengthen our defenses.  If you want to talk about our morality slipping, it flew out the window ages ago.  Plus, I don't think my God wants me to discriminate against anyone.  I am called to love people.  I love the sinner, but hate the sin.  Homosexuality is no more severe of a sin than telling a little white lie.  The consequences may be more severe, but in God's eyes, a sin is a sin is a sin and it doesn't matter whether you miss heaven by a half inch or 100,000 miles. The fact is, you still missed it.  If we banned homosexuality in the military, then to be fair, we'd have to ban everyone who has told a lie, which just about encompasses everybody.  So, that's my view on the situation.

Haha, Thanks for sharing!!  I know I do things a heck of a lot differently than most people, and I could stand to learn a few things in a few areas.  I'm not disappointed in myself or anything like that.  In fact, right now, I have a lot of joy in my life.  Joy unspeakable.

Did you even read what I wrote? You think you can stand on a high ground and say you 'HATE' homosexuality (and as it is in uncompromisable part of my being, by extension you are making claims against me as a person) and then throw in a 'haha' to someone calling you out on your own shambolic, ego driven greedy existance.

You are not a model of humanity Bushie; you are a sorry excuse for a man forever in a state of arrested development permanently attached to the tete of anyone around you for support and succour while being captivated by the shiny pennies of scammers and people who want to f-ck up your entire existance. And when things go wrong you fix on your innane grin and raise out your platitudes to an empty sky. And then have the gall to think you have the slighest clue, have the slightest iota of what human relationships in everything from sex to business are all about. You fail at just about everyone you forge or you jeopardise it for a quick path to marriage and sex or for a quick buck.

I don't give a gold plated, cherry flavoured f-ck what you think about anything you open your gullible mouth about.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2010, 08:07:13 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

I happen to agree with this repeal. First let me say this, I'm a strong Christian, but I'm also politically-independent. I have a very weird view on this. First off, I HATE homosexuality, it goes against everything the Lord my God teaches. However, I have to agree with Hillary Clinton when she said "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight". I come at it from a defense point of view. We have lost many strategic and key people in our military because of DADT. For example, we have had several soldiers who could translate Arabic, the predominate language of the muslim terrorists, be discharged because of their sexual orientation.  I think this move actually does strengthen our defenses.  If you want to talk about our morality slipping, it flew out the window ages ago.  Plus, I don't think my God wants me to discriminate against anyone.  I am called to love people.  I love the sinner, but hate the sin.  Homosexuality is no more severe of a sin than telling a little white lie.  The consequences may be more severe, but in God's eyes, a sin is a sin is a sin and it doesn't matter whether you miss heaven by a half inch or 100,000 miles. The fact is, you still missed it.  If we banned homosexuality in the military, then to be fair, we'd have to ban everyone who has told a lie, which just about encompasses everybody.  So, that's my view on the situation.

Haha, Thanks for sharing!!  I know I do things a heck of a lot differently than most people, and I could stand to learn a few things in a few areas.  I'm not disappointed in myself or anything like that.  In fact, right now, I have a lot of joy in my life.  Joy unspeakable.

Did you even read what I wrote? You think you can stand on a high ground and say you 'HATE' homosexuality (and as it is in uncompromisable part of my being, by extension you are making claims against me as a person) and then throw in a 'haha' to someone calling you out on your own shambolic, ego driven greedy existance.

You are not a model of humanity Bushie; you are a sorry excuse for a man forever in a state of arrested development permanently attached to the tete of anyone around you for support and succour while being captivated by the shiny pennies of scammers and people who want to f-ck up your entire existance. And when things go wrong you fix on your innane grin and raise out your platitudes to an empty sky. And then have the gall to think you have the slighest clue, have the slightest iota of what human relationships in everything from sex to business are all about. You fail at just about everyone you forge or you jeopardise it for a quick path to marriage and sex or for a quick buck.

I don't give a gold plated, cherry flavoured f-ck what you think about anything you open your gullible mouth about.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheReasonYouSuckSpeech
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

Haha, Thanks for sharing!!  I know I do things a heck of a lot differently than most people, and I could stand to learn a few things in a few areas.  I'm not disappointed in myself or anything like that.  In fact, right now, I have a lot of joy in my life.  Joy unspeakable.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheReasonYouSuckSpeech

I don't know. A haughty gay university-educated Brit lecturing an ignorant American poor that he is an inferior class of human being seems like the dramatic conflict for every Indiana Jones movie made, except the miserable second one.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

DAMN! Got chilly in Scotland all of a sudden.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2010, 09:17:40 PM »

How?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »

Good thing you've chosen to respond to him several times.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

DAMN! Got chilly in Scotland all of a sudden.

Brrrrrr...  It's chilly, and it's not because Heathrow is paralyzed!!!!

If he thinks that will phase me, he didn't even come close to succeeding!!!  Oh, wait, he did succeed! It makes me more determined and it reassures me I must be doing something right.

About my views, as I've stated several times before, I actually do support civil unions and really am ambivalent to gay marriage.  It doesn't affect me, and it doesn't weaken the God-ordained institution of marriage.  I do believe that I should not discriminate against gays.  They have just as much right to see their loved ones in the hospital, or be the durable power of attorney, serve in our Armed Forces (as the intention of this thread and repeal), or other things that heterosexuals have the privilege to do.  I don't agree with homosexuality and I do believe it's a choice, but I don't believe that choice should bar someone from living life as a normal human being.

And, back to alfeitch's reply to me, I specifically ask that no one report it or that no moderator infract it or edit it in any way.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2010, 11:42:40 PM by Torie »

Isn't there this odd Christian belief (about which I have considerable ambivalence), that you supposedly should hate the "sin," (as seen through their particular little lens through which they peer at life),  but not the sinner. So Christians who buy the dogma, lock, stock and barrel, feel perfectly comfortable traducing that which is essential and of the essence of a person, and gives their life meaning and purpose and joy, and without which, none of those things would obtain, but don't have a clue that it is just so cutting an opinion, and very hurtful. They don't mean to hurt, it just come trippingly off the tongue.

That is just the way it is out there. For myself, I really don't care what others think (not that I am offended by their opinions, and I do try to nibble away at the edges sometimes, but not too hard, as I suspect most of you know), unless informed, and have reasoned opinions, and are persons whose intellect and knowledge, and careful parsing of the pros and cons, I respect.

Does any of that make sense?

PS: This post is directed to one person, by the way, really, afleitch.  Most of us, and certainly including myself, from what we know, consider you a fine chap indeed, and we admire you, and your partner, and how you manage you life. But if you can get into the frame of mind to just not let the "others" get you down, that is just one less source of negative energy in your life, perhaps.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »

Kind of. But here's the thing; the man who's teachings Christians are supposed to follow took a fairly strong line on hypocrisy. That's one reason why Okie's moralising is so utterly obnoxious.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2010, 12:21:15 AM »

Isn't there this odd Christian belief (about which I have considerable ambivalence), that you supposedly should hate the "sin," (as seen through their particular little lens through which they peer at life),  but not the sinner. So Christians who buy the dogma, lock, stock and barrel, feel perfectly comfortable traducing that which is essential and of the essence of a person, and gives their life meaning and purpose and joy, and without which, none of those things would obtain, but don't have a clue that it is just so cutting an opinion, and very hurtful. They don't mean to hurt, it just come trippingly off the tongue.

That is just the way it is out there. For myself, I really don't care what others think (not that I am offended by their opinions, and I do try to nibble away at the edges sometimes, but not too hard, as I suspect most of you know), unless informed, and have reasoned opinions, and are persons whose intellect and knowledge, and careful parsing of the pros and cons, I respect.

Does any of that make sense?

PS: This post is directed to one person, by the way, really, afleitch.  Most of us, and certainly including myself, from what we know, consider you a fine chap indeed, and we admire you, and your partner, and how you manage you life. But if you can get into the frame of mind to just not let the "others" get you down, that is just one less source of negative energy in your life, perhaps.

The point, which hopefully you agree is reasonable, is that, while Afleitch and many others may be capable of shrugging off others' opinions, not everyone is so fortunate, and no one can do it all the time. It is somewhat difficult to imagine how incredibly difficult life would be if I were daily exposed to vicious hate and condemnation of the sort Bushie is espousing--even from evidently quite stupid people. And I think you would feel the same way but are blessed by only on rare occasions being the victim of such perverse nastiness of human character. Such is not true, of course, of gay people, who hear (whether through media or social interaction) pretty much every day that they are evil and immoral and nasty and unpleasant and all sorts of un-Christian (to borrow) statements.

Now, I guess being atheist I can sort of see it, but atheists, while even more universally hated, at least fly under the radar, and I wouldn't expect to hear nasty remarks more than a couple of times a month (and they are easy to take lightly as well, as I do not think it affects much of my life) at most frequent.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2010, 12:40:27 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.

The issue is when you (or anyone else for that matter) use religion as a way to make excuses for being a bigot and going off on hate rants.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2010, 12:43:16 AM »

The issue is when you (or anyone else for that matter) use religion as a way to make excuses for being a bigot and going off on hate rants.

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 12:49:19 AM by Torie »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree indeed, Verily, but might add, that I am an upfront atheist, well "near" atheist  (although not a religion hater really), and I  have truly met no one, yes nobody,  who gives me any static, from all walks of life and points from the theological compass.

Of course, sometimes it helps when I say that faith is a gift, as to which I was not blessed, and to which I am not temperamentally suited, and that aspect of the lens through which I view life is very hard wiring in me really.  And I actually sort of believe that up to a point - sometimes.

And of course it helps that I am upper middle class (which kind of tends, and I mean it, to intimidate lower and below "Bible thumpers" from hitting us up), and beyond that run in circles that tend to be considerably more secular than the mean, with the balance understanding what is socially acceptable, and what is not, I guess.

But I don't think that that is all of it. There is something to be said for just feeling comfortable in your own skin, and projecting that.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2010, 12:49:35 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?

No. The Biblical perspective is inherently bigoted. This is not a comment on religion; it is objective and would be true if the Bible were a compiled tax code.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?

If you make a bigoted remark its going to be classified as a bigoted remark, it doesn't matter if the reason is based off something biblical or some other reason.   If you make a bigoted remark you are going to be called a bigot.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree indeed, Verily, but might add, that I am an upfront atheist, well "near" atheist  (although not a religion hater really), and I  have truly met no one, yes nobody,  who gives me any static, from all walks of life and points from the theological compass.

Well, certainly in everyday life it is exceptionally rare. But I consider messages projected from a distance--through media, in particular--to be just as important and demoralizing. And media (not "The Media", media generally) is not nearly so diplomatic as people who have to speak to your face.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2010, 12:55:27 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?

If you make a bigoted remark its going to be classified as a bigoted remark, it doesn't matter if the reason is based off something biblical or some other reason.   If you make a bigoted remark you are going to be called a bigot.

It doesn't matter, because even if I get accused of bigotry doesn't make it true.  I am not a bigot and that label will never stick to me.

Now, the second part of the question, since I was obviously called a bigot for my views on homosexuality, did anyone give thought to how I felt when my religion was trashed just two short weeks ago?

Is it perfectly acceptable to trash religion, but definitely against all moral reasoning to say one thing against homosexuality?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:48 AM »

It doesn't matter, because even if I get accused of bigotry doesn't make it true.  I am not a bigot and that label will never stick to me.

Now, the second part of the question, since I was obviously called a bigot for my views on homosexuality, did anyone give thought to how I felt when my religion was trashed just two short weeks ago?

Is it perfectly acceptable to trash religion, but definitely against all moral reasoning to say one thing against homosexuality?

Bushie, the comments you made were flat out bigoted.  Plain and simple, you made very bigoted remarks and used religion as a way to explain why that venom you spewed was ok.

Also again I don't think anyone was trashing your religion.  You were being criticized for letting your religious beliefs get in the way of an actual and rationale thought process and decision making.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies