Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:40:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes  (Read 18971 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: December 20, 2010, 11:30:10 PM »
« edited: December 20, 2010, 11:42:40 PM by Torie »

Isn't there this odd Christian belief (about which I have considerable ambivalence), that you supposedly should hate the "sin," (as seen through their particular little lens through which they peer at life),  but not the sinner. So Christians who buy the dogma, lock, stock and barrel, feel perfectly comfortable traducing that which is essential and of the essence of a person, and gives their life meaning and purpose and joy, and without which, none of those things would obtain, but don't have a clue that it is just so cutting an opinion, and very hurtful. They don't mean to hurt, it just come trippingly off the tongue.

That is just the way it is out there. For myself, I really don't care what others think (not that I am offended by their opinions, and I do try to nibble away at the edges sometimes, but not too hard, as I suspect most of you know), unless informed, and have reasoned opinions, and are persons whose intellect and knowledge, and careful parsing of the pros and cons, I respect.

Does any of that make sense?

PS: This post is directed to one person, by the way, really, afleitch.  Most of us, and certainly including myself, from what we know, consider you a fine chap indeed, and we admire you, and your partner, and how you manage you life. But if you can get into the frame of mind to just not let the "others" get you down, that is just one less source of negative energy in your life, perhaps.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2010, 12:49:19 AM by Torie »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree indeed, Verily, but might add, that I am an upfront atheist, well "near" atheist  (although not a religion hater really), and I  have truly met no one, yes nobody,  who gives me any static, from all walks of life and points from the theological compass.

Of course, sometimes it helps when I say that faith is a gift, as to which I was not blessed, and to which I am not temperamentally suited, and that aspect of the lens through which I view life is very hard wiring in me really.  And I actually sort of believe that up to a point - sometimes.

And of course it helps that I am upper middle class (which kind of tends, and I mean it, to intimidate lower and below "Bible thumpers" from hitting us up), and beyond that run in circles that tend to be considerably more secular than the mean, with the balance understanding what is socially acceptable, and what is not, I guess.

But I don't think that that is all of it. There is something to be said for just feeling comfortable in your own skin, and projecting that.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 10:40:44 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nice comment Bushie.  Engaging in candid self reflection about yourself is a very good habit to try to cultivate. And it's tough - yes it is - to do that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies