Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:25:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate passes repeal of DADT with 65 votes  (Read 18830 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« on: December 19, 2010, 02:59:11 AM »

Good to see this pass the though.  My confidence that this would get accomplished was correct!

Yes it was, Burr and Ensign decided to play weird games by voting against cloture and then voting in favor of the bill.  The majority of your party obviously were still bigoted piles of trash.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »

Here is my view of DADT

I happen to agree with this repeal. First let me say this, I'm a strong Christian, but I'm also politically-independent. I have a very weird view on this. First off, I HATE homosexuality, it goes against everything the Lord my God teaches. However, I have to agree with Hillary Clinton when she said "You don't have to be straight to shoot straight". I come at it from a defense point of view. We have lost many strategic and key people in our military because of DADT. For example, we have had several soldiers who could translate Arabic, the predominate language of the muslim terrorists, be discharged because of their sexual orientation.  I think this move actually does strengthen our defenses.  If you want to talk about our morality slipping, it flew out the window ages ago.  Plus, I don't think my God wants me to discriminate against anyone.  I am called to love people.  I love the sinner, but hate the sin.  Homosexuality is no more severe of a sin than telling a little white lie.  The consequences may be more severe, but in God's eyes, a sin is a sin is a sin and it doesn't matter whether you miss heaven by a half inch or 100,000 miles. The fact is, you still missed it.  If we banned homosexuality in the military, then to be fair, we'd have to ban everyone who has told a lie, which just about encompasses everybody.  So, that's my view on the situation.

This is not meant to offend anyone, just gives my views.

Wow you have a lot of hate, venom and bigotry inside of you.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:40:27 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.

The issue is when you (or anyone else for that matter) use religion as a way to make excuses for being a bigot and going off on hate rants.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:50:59 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.

The issue is when you (or anyone else for that matter) use religion as a way to make excuses for being a bigot and going off on hate rants.

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?

If you make a bigoted remark its going to be classified as a bigoted remark, it doesn't matter if the reason is based off something biblical or some other reason.   If you make a bigoted remark you are going to be called a bigot.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 12:59:48 AM »

To me there is a double standard going on here.  I can't say one thing against homosexuality without being accused of bigotry or homophobia, but people can say bad stuff about Christianity all day long and never be called out.  People can't say one thing to promote their faith without being called a "Bible-thumper" or other things.  People can promote their homosexuality all day long and everyone is so loving and caring toward that.  Every time I try to tell someone about my faith, others accuse me of trying to shove Christianity down their throat.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything and if I am, has anyone given thought to how I felt when my faith was being trashed right after I lost my job?  But, it's OK to bash Bushie, because he's fun to trash and his faith is useless, but he doesn't dare say anything about homosexuality or we'll call him a bigot and a sorry excuse for a human.

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?

If you make a bigoted remark its going to be classified as a bigoted remark, it doesn't matter if the reason is based off something biblical or some other reason.   If you make a bigoted remark you are going to be called a bigot.

It doesn't matter, because even if I get accused of bigotry doesn't make it true.  I am not a bigot and that label will never stick to me.

Now, the second part of the question, since I was obviously called a bigot for my views on homosexuality, did anyone give thought to how I felt when my religion was trashed just two short weeks ago?

Is it perfectly acceptable to trash religion, but definitely against all moral reasoning to say one thing against homosexuality?

Bushie, the comments you made were flat out bigoted.  Plain and simple, you made very bigoted remarks and used religion as a way to explain why that venom you spewed was ok.

Also again I don't think anyone was trashing your religion.  You were being criticized for letting your religious beliefs get in the way of an actual and rationale thought process and decision making.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 01:09:26 AM »

You didn't answer my question.  I can't say anything bad about homosexuality and the Biblical perspective of that without being called a bigot?

If you make a bigoted remark its going to be classified as a bigoted remark, it doesn't matter if the reason is based off something biblical or some other reason.   If you make a bigoted remark you are going to be called a bigot.

It doesn't matter, because even if I get accused of bigotry doesn't make it true.  I am not a bigot and that label will never stick to me.

Now, the second part of the question, since I was obviously called a bigot for my views on homosexuality, did anyone give thought to how I felt when my religion was trashed just two short weeks ago?

Is it perfectly acceptable to trash religion, but definitely against all moral reasoning to say one thing against homosexuality?

Bushie, the comments you made were flat out bigoted.  Plain and simple, you made very bigoted remarks and used religion as a way to explain why that venom you spewed was ok.

Also again I don't think anyone was trashing your religion.  You were being criticized for letting your religious beliefs get in the way of an actual and rationale thought process and decision making.

How was it bigoted?  I was just explaining my views on the legislation, which I am in favor of, by the way.  Yet, I called homosexuality a sin, which is what the Bible calls it, and I was called a bigot.  Then, I followed it up with my real views on the matter and it went in one ear and right out the other.

Saying you hate homosexuality and going off on that rant you did is pretty bigoted.   Do you think homosexuals should be put to death?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 01:24:49 AM »

If you make a bigoted remark its going to be classified as a bigoted remark, it doesn't matter if the reason is based off something biblical or some other reason.   If you make a bigoted remark you are going to be called a bigot.

It doesn't matter, because even if I get accused of bigotry doesn't make it true.  I am not a bigot and that label will never stick to me.

How was it bigoted?  I was just explaining my views on the legislation, which I am in favor of, by the way.  Yet, I called homosexuality a sin, which is what the Bible calls it, and I was called a bigot.  Then, I followed it up with my real views on the matter and it went in one ear and right out the other.

Saying you hate homosexuality and going off on that rant you did is pretty bigoted.   

Okay, whatever.  Say what you wish, but it's not true.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Absolutely not!!! I never said that, you're putting words in my mouth.

So, another question.  If I say I hate homosexuality, am I a bigot?  Also, there were no hateful intentions in that post.  If there were, why would I follow it up with my real views?

Yes, if you say if you hate homosexuality you are a bigot.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was simply asking you a question.  You used the bible to justify your hate for homosexuality and the bible says homosexuals should be put to death
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:02 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

When you start throwing around words like hate about homosexuality you start sounding like your Senators.  You back tracked from it a bit, but don't you understand how saying you hate it can be construed as bigoted? 

If someone said they hated blacks, or Jews, or Christians they would rightly be viewed as bigots, don't you agree?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »

So you believe in this then....

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." 
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 10:55:59 PM »

I wanna see the dirty pig jmfcst in anti-straight therapy.

as if heterosexuality is something one needs to cleansed of?  And who said anything about "therapy"?  All it takes to be cleansed of sin is a meeting with Christ.

Ignoring the Christians who can reconcile their faith with their sexuality again jmfcst Roll Eyes

no, I ignore "Christians" who hack the scriptures to suit what their itchy ears want to hear

Oh you mean like you do when you say gays shouldn't be put to death, or that slavery isn't a good thing, or that the first born shouldn't be sacrificed.   Unless if you believe in those things then you are hacking scriptures as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies