Visit the SOIA (Citizens of NE, IDS & ME) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:00:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Visit the SOIA (Citizens of NE, IDS & ME) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Visit the SOIA (Citizens of NE, IDS & ME)  (Read 1774 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: December 21, 2010, 11:13:39 AM »

I hope you guys realize that, the more "Green jobs" you create, the more you run the risk of expanding production to unsustainable levels and thus causing a correction/contraction in the green energy sector leading to falling wages and high sector wise unemployment. Maybe you can buy 1 million solar panels and dump them in the ocean when that happens. Tongue 

Another thing that you need to remember is that whenever you "rock the boat" in production of products (like a switch in production), companies inevitably choose the latest generation of productive capacity because the machinery has to be replaced to make the green products. The change in product alone will necessitate a change in labor force, and at the same time you have movement to the latest generation of productive machinery (think jobs lost to automation) Tongue This is why Green jobs are a net manufacturing job loser. The 2007 ban on incandescent bulbs for instance is a big net loser (tens of thousands fewer jobs making Compact Flourescents then incandescents) and a big creator of jobs in China as the production of incandescents moved there. And the end result of that is said to be a 0.001% reduction in carbon emissions.

But automation historically creates more jobs than it loses, Yank. Look at the steam engine drill. With it one man could mine more coal in a day than 20 human miners with picks and shovels. But even in the near-term (forget long term; it didn't even take that long) the greater access of coal stimulated far more economic growth and employment than lost by this technological development.

Also, I really don't think we're in quite so much danger of glutting the photovoltaic panel market though over reliance on solar energy. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »

He said he was under the weather in some of his last posts. Nothing related I hope.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies